BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-04-12 11:27 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Chicago
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED
With all the training going on it looks like it's difficult for me to get on her and follow up with all the post. I'm in my 2nd week of training and the hardest thing that I'm finding is getting all the work in.

Simone - The Orbster looks great! I love that you had it personalized. Keep up the good work with the trainer. You are an inspiration to all of us.

Dan - Great job on those hills. Like Tim mentioned, here in Illinois we have a hard time finding good hill workouts. I normally have to travel to Wisconsin to find some good hills. BTW, those are really good times that you posted for your mile splits.

KC - How's the training going? looks like you are putting in a lot of work.

Todd - From my experience the wetsuits are always hard to get on. I followed the manufacturers sizing chart plus I had many discussions with sales guys on sizing and I found out the sizing chart was right for me. It takes a little to get use to them. Mine fits a little snug but I can breathe so It has been working fine. Hope it works out for you because they are an investment.

2014-04-12 4:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Simone, Love the photos!! It's a beauty. Keep up the good work. Great weight loss. Glad the meds are helping. I hope your work outs with trainer are strong.

As for wet suits, I am a participant, not much of a competitor. Only spent about $99 on sale thru Xterra. When I followed the manufacturers sizing chart it was harder to get into the suit then to do the race!! I switched it out. I am happy with one size up. Although I couldn't breathe in the first suit. They are challenging to get on and off. I would love to do a time trial with and without it. Sometimes I think I lose more time getting it off then I gain by wearing it.

Glad the test came back good for the gent who posted that. I have hard time remembering everyones sign on or name.

Got a run in this morning. Finally a beautiful day here in the east. I have not been getting my usual 2-3 runs per week in and boy am I feeling it. Every run feels like my first time out after a 3 month break. I did the 10k last week end, struggled with a cold and life. Got a swim and yoga in but didn't hit the road until today. Did 5.5 and it was a struggle. Hope to get a few short runs in this week and maybe a longer 6.5 in by the end of the week. WE shall see.
I may try a bike ride tomorrow. We are keeping the nice weather for now. It's just that the roads are a mess. If I don't ride, I plan to set my trainer up on my back deck and get something in out there.

I also am only trying to train for a Half Mary. I miss the routine of training for tris. Affer the wedding, I will get a tri or 2 on the calendar. If for nothing else, for my waist line. The appetite stays even tho workouts aren't happening.

Have a great day everyone!!
ann

Edited by avisser 2014-04-13 4:21 PM
2014-04-14 2:54 PM
in reply to: avisser

User image

Subject: White Lake Sprint
Completed my second sprint triathlon of the season this weekend.
White lake was a 750m/14mile/5k. Felt like I did well on the swim and bike, but very poor on the run.

I got up about 3 hours before the start and had a light breakfast. Had originally planned to bike the 2 miles to the race site but the kids were up so I took the free ride. Got my ink and chip and then set up my TA. It was starting to warm up, and I felt thirsty and drain about 24 oz of water before I left for the swim. Checked out my bike, refilled water bottles, and chatted with some other athletes in the TA. Applied several heavy coats of body glide, and Vaseline to the underarms and put my wet suit on. Decided to go with the tinted psy ops goggles for the race as the sun was bright. Kicked myself for not bringing sun screen.

Met Amanda and the kids down by the dock and chatted for a few more minutes. The kids loved the neoprene and swim cap. In the water about 10-15 minutes before the start, and took a few strokes to get a feel of the suit. I had not swam in a wetsuit before. Water temp 67. My age group started in the second wave, and I was kind forced to the middle of the start. This was a little chaotic but probably not as bad as it could have been. Tired out quickly with the bumping, and sighting and really only used unilateral breathing. Abandoned regular sighting and would just do some breast stroke if I felt someone or got winded. Realized toward the end that after I let most of the faster swimmers go I just keep passing the same people who would pass me when I paused to see where I was. I had projected a 2 min/100 y and was not to far off this. Up the ladder and top down. Started to run toward TA a littler light headed. Gave my son a high five as I passed. He told me to win.

I had put on so much lube that the suit came off pretty easy. Quick snake, and a drink. Socks, and shoes on and a t-shirt. Felt a lot quicker than the 5 plus minutes. Trouble snapping in but quickly upto 18-20mph and passed a couple of people having more trouble snapping in than me. First lap seemed to go okay passed by a few people but I felt like I was maintaining a pace faster than the 16 mph that I projected. Second lap I was being passed a lot. Pace seemed the same. Remembered that I hadn't drank much and tried to finish my water bottle before the end. Was able to get my right foot on top of my shoes but not my left. Akward dismount with one shoe on. Short run to my spot in TA. More drinking, another gel, and a dry shirt. notice that I'm a little sun burnt. Averaged about 17.5mph, a little faster than I hoped but slow for the field.

Started to run and immediately felt tight and bloated. High five to the kids again. Shortly there after I retch a couple of times and start walking. Walk/Run. Did this for about 2 miles. Ran the last mile. Detour down the home stretch to high five the kids again.

Overall time 1:45:34. Happy with my swim and bike. Disappointed with the run. I averaged a 10:16 pace. I train a minute faster, and raced nearly 2 minutes faster last time out. Since my last triathlon I had not been following a training plan just doing 2 swims, 1-2 bikes, and 2-3 runs and keeping everything to 30-60 minutes. I didn't do any bricks, and had a poor nutrition/hydration plan.

Still had fun. The kids saw me at several points, and they know I saw them. My wife posted a picture of me on facebook without a shirt running to TA and I wasn't embarrassed. I would not have said the same thing 6 months ago.

heres the link to the report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2014-04-14 8:52 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Chicago
Subject: RE: White Lake Sprint
Hey Congratulations on your finish. I don't think that things always go as planned in races. The best thing is that you finished.
QUOTE]Originally posted by nrpoulin

White lake was a 750m/14mile/5k. Felt like I did well on the swim and bike, but very poor on the run.

I got up about 3 hours before the start and had a light breakfast. Had originally planned to bike the 2 miles to the race site but the kids were up so I took the free ride. Got my ink and chip and then set up my TA. It was starting to warm up, and I felt thirsty and drain about 24 oz of water before I left for the swim. Checked out my bike, refilled water bottles, and chatted with some other athletes in the TA. Applied several heavy coats of body glide, and Vaseline to the underarms and put my wet suit on. Decided to go with the tinted psy ops goggles for the race as the sun was bright. Kicked myself for not bringing sun screen.

Met Amanda and the kids down by the dock and chatted for a few more minutes. The kids loved the neoprene and swim cap. In the water about 10-15 minutes before the start, and took a few strokes to get a feel of the suit. I had not swam in a wetsuit before. Water temp 67. My age group started in the second wave, and I was kind forced to the middle of the start. This was a little chaotic but probably not as bad as it could have been. Tired out quickly with the bumping, and sighting and really only used unilateral breathing. Abandoned regular sighting and would just do some breast stroke if I felt someone or got winded. Realized toward the end that after I let most of the faster swimmers go I just keep passing the same people who would pass me when I paused to see where I was. I had projected a 2 min/100 y and was not to far off this. Up the ladder and top down. Started to run toward TA a littler light headed. Gave my son a high five as I passed. He told me to win.

I had put on so much lube that the suit came off pretty easy. Quick snake, and a drink. Socks, and shoes on and a t-shirt. Felt a lot quicker than the 5 plus minutes. Trouble snapping in but quickly upto 18-20mph and passed a couple of people having more trouble snapping in than me. First lap seemed to go okay passed by a few people but I felt like I was maintaining a pace faster than the 16 mph that I projected. Second lap I was being passed a lot. Pace seemed the same. Remembered that I hadn't drank much and tried to finish my water bottle before the end. Was able to get my right foot on top of my shoes but not my left. Akward dismount with one shoe on. Short run to my spot in TA. More drinking, another gel, and a dry shirt. notice that I'm a little sun burnt. Averaged about 17.5mph, a little faster than I hoped but slow for the field.

Started to run and immediately felt tight and bloated. High five to the kids again. Shortly there after I retch a couple of times and start walking. Walk/Run. Did this for about 2 miles. Ran the last mile. Detour down the home stretch to high five the kids again.

Overall time 1:45:34. Happy with my swim and bike. Disappointed with the run. I averaged a 10:16 pace. I train a minute faster, and raced nearly 2 minutes faster last time out. Since my last triathlon I had not been following a training plan just doing 2 swims, 1-2 bikes, and 2-3 runs and keeping everything to 30-60 minutes. I didn't do any bricks, and had a poor nutrition/hydration plan.

Still had fun. The kids saw me at several points, and they know I saw them. My wife posted a picture of me on facebook without a shirt running to TA and I wasn't embarrassed. I would not have said the same thing 6 months ago.

heres the link to the report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2014-04-15 1:42 AM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
First the bad news. I had to work all weekend and missed the Seahawks 12k

The good news. I hit the pool hard today and achieved a new PR for 100y by 2 sec, did it in 1:25. Yeah!

Next race is a 5k in 2 weeks.

Edited by pnwdan 2014-04-15 1:43 AM
2014-04-15 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Gil - I hope you managed to get your training in. It can be difficult sometimes.

Ann - I hear you on the running. I just started back yesterday and I was feeling it even after my short little daliance.

Todd - I bought my wetsuit through the 2XU outlet, I got a $700 one for $250, but I only went by the size charts. I just hope it fits me come chMelb!

Nate - nice job on the triathlon, great result, they are all a learning curve and we all find things to improve with each one. Glad you had fun cause that is the name of the game!

Dan - great work on the PR! I need to hit the pool tomorrow, going to be a short set, maybe about 1,500m to get back into the swing of things again.

Edited by kruzmeister 2014-04-15 8:23 AM

2014-04-15 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

G'day Team,

How is everyone?

I have begun week 3 of TrainerRoad and feel like I can give it a big thumbs up after having completed 8 rides on it. It is challenging, especially for someone like me who is weak on the bike, but I already have my average cadence up from 65 rpm to 80 rpm (comfortable). My max rpm without bouncing is around 95-100 rpm so still work to do there, but I am very happy with my progress. My leg strength and muscle endurance is definitely improving too. I am keen to see any improvements when I take the Orbster out on the road, which will happen over the Easter weekend as I am doing some riding with a triathlon buddy of mine.

I also started back running yesterday. I was going to wait until I'd lost some more weight, but after my PT session last week my calf pulled up really well from skipping, so I decided to start a 14 week couch to 10K program, but I am only going to run on the grass or on a treadmill for the time being. Anyway, yesterday's run went well only 6 x 1 min run/walk intervals with a warmup/cooldown walk, but even so it got the heart pumping and the legs burning and the calf pulled up really well, so I was pretty happy with the effort. The hardest part was feeling the weight, but I was surprised at how well my fitness was really.

So what's everyone else up to over Easter?

I'm taking mum to her sisters which is where my friend will be visiting her mum. I am all excited because Sarah and I have never met and we both plan to do IMOZ next year, so it will be awesome to meet and get some training in with her.

2014-04-15 8:43 AM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Originally posted by gdelamora

Hey Congratulations on your finish. I don't think that things always go as planned in races. The best thing is that you finished.
QUOTE]

Thanks
2014-04-15 8:44 AM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Originally posted by pnwdan

First the bad news. I had to work all weekend and missed the Seahawks 12k

The good news. I hit the pool hard today and achieved a new PR for 100y by 2 sec, did it in 1:25. Yeah!

Congrats on the PR!
2014-04-16 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job! I am sure your kids were thrilled that you took the time to high five them.

Don't beat yourself up about the run, Sometimes it just isn't our day and that could have been the issue with you here. You will get them next time!

Originally posted by nrpoulin

2014-04-16 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Very impressive in the pool!

Can't wait to hear about your 5k!

Originally posted by pnwdan

2014-04-16 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glad to hear you are back and that things are going well!

Originally posted by kruzmeister

G'day Team,

How is everyone?

I have begun week 3 of TrainerRoad and feel like I can give it a big thumbs up after having completed 8 rides on it. It is challenging, especially for someone like me who is weak on the bike, but I already have my average cadence up from 65 rpm to 80 rpm (comfortable). My max rpm without bouncing is around 95-100 rpm so still work to do there, but I am very happy with my progress. My leg strength and muscle endurance is definitely improving too. I am keen to see any improvements when I take the Orbster out on the road, which will happen over the Easter weekend as I am doing some riding with a triathlon buddy of mine.

I also started back running yesterday. I was going to wait until I'd lost some more weight, but after my PT session last week my calf pulled up really well from skipping, so I decided to start a 14 week couch to 10K program, but I am only going to run on the grass or on a treadmill for the time being. Anyway, yesterday's run went well only 6 x 1 min run/walk intervals with a warmup/cooldown walk, but even so it got the heart pumping and the legs burning and the calf pulled up really well, so I was pretty happy with the effort. The hardest part was feeling the weight, but I was surprised at how well my fitness was really.

So what's everyone else up to over Easter?

I'm taking mum to her sisters which is where my friend will be visiting her mum. I am all excited because Sarah and I have never met and we both plan to do IMOZ next year, so it will be awesome to meet and get some training in with her.

2014-04-17 2:40 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Hey Simone, Your experience with Trainer road is encouraging. I also struggle with getting the RPMS up. I am comfortable around 80, its a push to do 90 or more and I never sustain it.

Ugh, the running. Took the easy way out at the gym today and did strength and 30 min on the elliptical. Trying to take it easy on the foot.Hope to run 6 plus tomorrow, although there is a good spin class at 9:15 am. If it's still cold out, may bail on the run and do the spin.
Trying to get motivated to go back to the gym and get a swim in.
Great job on the sprint!! You are in it!! Keep on, keepin on!!

Having Easter here and doing the final plans for the wedding which is the following week end. Should be an all day eating and planning day.

Blessings to all!!

ann
2014-04-17 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4920811

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
So I signed up for IMMD this am. I'm pretty excited! 156 days to go. It kinda makes up for a little bit of the disappointment of not getting in to AZ.
2014-04-19 12:28 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Chicago
We'll be cheering you on.

Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

So I signed up for IMMD this am. I'm pretty excited! 156 days to go. It kinda makes up for a little bit of the disappointment of not getting in to AZ.
2014-04-19 7:44 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington

Awesome. 156 days seems like both a long time and barely enough.

2014-04-19 7:49 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
My pool PRs continue. Today I kicked 100y in 2:40, which is 20 sec better than my previous best. I'm not sure how. I just felt the water more than usual.

I'm coming up on my 1 year swim anniversary. I started swimming on May 1st 2013. I need to find something special to do that day.
2014-04-19 9:08 PM

User image

Subject: Weekly Totals
Good week. Made true on my promise to brick more, and did a 12.6 mile bike followed by a 3 mile run at race pace

Swim: 2 sessions - 3300 yards - New record for continuous freestyle distance @ 1000y
Bike: 2 sessions - 22.9 miles/1h24m
Run: 4 sessions - 12 miles/1h49m
Strength: 1 session - 1 hour

Need to increase my time on the bike

Nate
2014-04-20 1:46 PM

Orlando
Subject: RE: Weekly Totals
Hey Folks!

Very sorry for my long absence.. just been ultra busy at work and training. I promise to be in more regularly now!

Just finished Haines City and all I can say is OUCH.... that was one tough race... lol

I will do a race report later on but the run .... that run course is made by Satin himself... I can honestly say it was worth the money.. awesome support, great setup and venue... horrid run...

Look forward to catching up with everyone!

2014-04-21 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Great!

Nice work in the pool.

Nice races. Good jobs.

The arthritis has improved. I found a supplemental over the counter pill that I can take with the Celebrex that seems to get me on top of the pain most days. I'm taking the runs easy. Not doing too much pushing and I cut down the volume by cutting to two for sure and one optional. I don't expect to outrun anyone except the slowest one around in the event of bears. But it will get me through, I think.

Bike is very solid. For example I did 3 X 15 mins @ 95% (300 watts) on Saturday with 4 X 1 min @ 135% to start and to finish. No problem with the leg there. This week goes to 3 X 20 minutes. I might race a local Tuesday Night Time Trial tomorrow night instead. My workouts are harder than the races so I usually opt for the workout until race phase for the experience. First Sprint is in May. Half IM is still in the picture for late July.

Swim is better than ever. The form is really efficient. I always wanted to be one of those guys whose stroke count was 15 to 19. Now I am. I start every warm up with a slow three-quarter catch-up drill. I can get my SC down to 13 when I do. I love the feeling of being that comfortable in the water.

Mentoring beginning triathletes. Seems like that's going well. Mentoring beginning runners too.

Have a great week.

2014-04-21 8:54 AM
in reply to: IceManScott

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lou, where the heck have you been! Glad you are back and I can't wait to hear about your event.

Well, I have completely lost my marbles and signed up to do Ironman Maryland with Deborah. You would think after doing 2 of these I know what I am in for and maybe that is why I haven't been able to sleep the last few days is because I know what I got myself into for the next 20 weeks. I was really looking forward to having an easy summer and actually enjoying it but noooo I had to sign up for another IM. I am also working with a new coach, one that cost more then any of my other coaches but I feel that he will work with me more and give me the help that I need. Wish me luck gang as I think I will need it on this one.

2014-04-21 9:01 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Originally posted by krazytallchick

Lou, where the heck have you been! Glad you are back and I can't wait to hear about your event.

Well, I have completely lost my marbles and signed up to do Ironman Maryland with Deborah. You would think after doing 2 of these I know what I am in for and maybe that is why I haven't been able to sleep the last few days is because I know what I got myself into for the next 20 weeks. I was really looking forward to having an easy summer and actually enjoying it but noooo I had to sign up for another IM. I am also working with a new coach, one that cost more then any of my other coaches but I feel that he will work with me more and give me the help that I need. Wish me luck gang as I think I will need it on this one.

Awesome. Is that the inaugural IM Maryland? Is it in Boston?
2014-04-21 12:08 PM
in reply to: IceManScott

User image

Originally posted by IceManScott

Great!

Nice work in the pool.

Nice races. Good jobs.

The arthritis has improved. I found a supplemental over the counter pill that I can take with the Celebrex that seems to get me on top of the pain most days. I'm taking the runs easy. Not doing too much pushing and I cut down the volume by cutting to two for sure and one optional. I don't expect to outrun anyone except the slowest one around in the event of bears. But it will get me through, I think.

Bike is very solid. For example I did 3 X 15 mins @ 95% (300 watts) on Saturday with 4 X 1 min @ 135% to start and to finish. No problem with the leg there. This week goes to 3 X 20 minutes. I might race a local Tuesday Night Time Trial tomorrow night instead. My workouts are harder than the races so I usually opt for the workout until race phase for the experience. First Sprint is in May. Half IM is still in the picture for late July.

Swim is better than ever. The form is really efficient. I always wanted to be one of those guys whose stroke count was 15 to 19. Now I am. I start every warm up with a slow three-quarter catch-up drill. I can get my SC down to 13 when I do. I love the feeling of being that comfortable in the water.

Mentoring beginning triathletes. Seems like that's going well. Mentoring beginning runners too.

Have a great week.

Scott Glad your feeling better.
What do you mean by 3 x 15 mins at 95%, and 4 x 1 min @ 135%. Is that LT?

NP
2014-04-21 6:58 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team. I just wanted to say hello. I cant believe that I have been away so long. I am sorry team, that is not like me at all and I am sorry. Life and work is definitely getting in the way. I just want you all to know I think about you very day.

My training is going fairly well but have missed some stuff based on work and a couple of minor injuries.

Hang in there everyone.

KC
2014-04-22 8:00 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kcgolf

My training is going fairly well but have missed some stuff based on work and a couple of minor injuries.

Hang in there everyone.

KC

KC, what injuries are your dealing with? Hope it is nothing that will prevent you from training.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED POSTS

Team Trisuppo - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34

Started by trisuppo
Views: 29536 Posts: 838

2014-05-16 3:19 PM jackiep
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.