BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-02-22 10:57 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED)
Here's Blue Lake...a natural fed spring in the middle of the desert! The perimeter measures about 1/2 mile. Love swimming here--especially when I have the lake to myself!

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (2425KB - 15 downloads)

2014-02-23 1:40 PM

User image

worst.run.ever. It's lovely out- in the 30s, sunny, a little wind, but not much., I wanted to do 8 miles, that's my next step up; I did 7.4 last weekend, and haven't run in 2 days, so it should be very reachable- especially as I am most definitely a slow persistent plodder. Ugh. First, my GPS thing kept misreading. So I did 0.5 miles in 2.57 minutes! I know the mileage- I hadn't gone 1/4 mile. (reset) 0.5 miles in 3.2 minutes! see previous (resest and switched programs to one that at least worked, if not hooks to my runkeeper account) then I was tight and everything ached and felt awful. plus there were puddles everywhere. and I ran on the sidewalk on a particularly icky stretch of road- it goes under a railroad bridge and around a corner at the same time, so the oncoming cars just can't see you at all. The entire sidewalk all the way up the hill was a sheet of ice. then my shins started hurting. I stopped once I was off the ice and stretched, and decided to cut a couple miles off but plow ahead. I went about 30 feet, looked ahead to another stretch of sheet ice, turned around and went home. I even walked part of it, because I was just done. My legs were pissed off and tired and nothing was working.

I'd better be getting sick or PMS, cause I'm going to be really mad if that's what my body has decided is OK for now.

thanks for reading all this- mostly one big unhappy I really wanted a good run before it got cold again whine. no real solutions needed; I'm sure it was just one of those days. commiserations appreciated!
2014-02-23 1:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Chelmsford, England
as we seem to be putting pics up of our runs, I went out on my Tri course today was 6.4 miles.

first one I believe is me running backwards towards the Chapel, the second is off to my right as I was running towards the Chapel
the third is the Chapel

http://www.bradwellchapel.org/index.htm

and the fourth is my Bike Fit.

these are just a few of my views, I don't want to overload you maybe some more next sunday

Edited by Jynxy 2014-02-23 2:24 PM

(IMG_4228.JPG)

(IMG_4230.JPG)

(IMG_4236.JPG)

(IMG_4227.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_4228.JPG (364KB - 18 downloads)
IMG_4230.JPG (2139KB - 8 downloads)
IMG_4236.JPG (2158KB - 17 downloads)
IMG_4227.JPG (2916KB - 12 downloads)
2014-02-23 9:24 PM

User image

that looks amazing Kim, especially in the middle of the dessert!
2014-02-23 9:25 PM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

good job Joe, love the selfie!
interesting to see where everyone else is training
2014-02-23 9:31 PM

User image

Not exactly training ground but went for a SUP whilst spending the day at a beach with the family and friends. This is DH and DC plus two friends children.

this is also the beach from last weeks tri

Edited by Lanne 2014-02-23 9:32 PM

(beach.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
beach.JPG (37KB - 14 downloads)

2014-02-24 1:38 PM
in reply to: Lanne

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by Lanne

good job Joe, love the selfie!
interesting to see where everyone else is training

I was running backwards at the time, lol
2014-02-24 11:22 PM

User image

Can anyone interpret this for me?

Run Speed
Speed/Efficiency
25' run with 4x30" strides. These are best if done on a slight downhill on a dirt path. Warm up for at least 10' before the first stride. For your recovery, you can walk back to the starting point.

Strides are quick bursts that are as fast as 5k pace. You are looking to get in about 45 left foot strikes per 26-28". Stretch when done and add in Core 1, 2 or 3.
2014-02-25 5:47 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

The way I interpret it (non-english speaker here)

you run 25 minutes. In those 25 minutes you do, at random 4 times 30 seconds stride, which is a quick sprint for 30 seconds. They recommend doing 45 left footsteps in these 30 seconds (which is fast). The first 10 minutes is a warm-up so you can do 1 stride every 3 minutes. That should give you about 2 minutes cooldown to make it 25 minutes.

10' warm up
30" stride
3' normal pace
30" stride
3' normal pace
30" stride
3' normal pace
30" stride
4' cool down

But thats just how I see it and would do it.
2014-02-26 3:02 AM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

Originally posted by Tridimi

The way I interpret it (non-english speaker here)

you run 25 minutes. In those 25 minutes you do, at random 4 times 30 seconds stride, which is a quick sprint for 30 seconds. They recommend doing 45 left footsteps in these 30 seconds (which is fast). The first 10 minutes is a warm-up so you can do 1 stride every 3 minutes. That should give you about 2 minutes cooldown to make it 25 minutes.

10' warm up
30" stride
3' normal pace
30" stride
3' normal pace
30" stride
3' normal pace
30" stride
4' cool down

But thats just how I see it and would do it.

So almost what i have been doing anyway with the marathon runners training 90 fast 90 slow 90 fast 90 slow etc but over a longer time?

Why dont they just say run fast run slow instead of stride?
2014-02-26 5:17 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

To be honest, run fast is my interpretation of stride. But there is a difference between run fast and go all out. So maybe they call it stride. And every sport has it specific technical terms. So maybe if there is a runner here, (s)he can say for sure the term "stride" is not something really specific other then run fast.

2014-02-26 8:30 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Chelmsford, England
afternoon all,

just got my cleats and pedals but there seems to be a lot of variant available, 15mm front to back and 5mm side to side.

anyone know what the best set up would be or just til it feels right
2014-02-26 5:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by Jynxy

afternoon all,

just got my cleats and pedals but there seems to be a lot of variant available, 15mm front to back and 5mm side to side.

I think when I got mine fitted they put them in a neutral position just under the ball of the front of your foot so pretty much screw head in the middle of the slot then adjust them as you need to after a couple of rides. I did find that I am more comfortable with my right foot slightly more forward.
2014-02-27 1:37 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by Lanne

Originally posted by Jynxy

afternoon all,

I think when I got mine fitted they put them in a neutral position just under the ball of the front of your foot so pretty much screw head in the middle of the slot then adjust them as you need to after a couple of rides. I did find that I am more comfortable with my right foot slightly more forward.

I tried them all the way forward but although I think im riding on my toes im not. so I moved them all the way back and feels comfy riding on my pad
2014-02-27 7:21 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

The last few weeks have been very chaotic for me and I've had very little time to inspire or post.  We had a safety issue last week and another this week that I had to address, and then I got invited to hang out with the "cool kids" (aka...second shift) right after lunch yesterday to help with some testing.  So I started my day at 7:30AM and finally walked out of the plant at 9PM, but it was a good day. 

2014-02-28 2:02 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England
evening all as its been a little quiet in here thought maybe we could share

so its friday night and almost the weekend what do you have planned.

currently I have no game to referee tomorrow, ooh just remembered that my Tri club has there monthly Aquathlon on Sunday morning before I have to go coach the kiddies but back to Saturday and I may squeeze in a quick speed session on the bike before I decide that I should go and play rugby instead.

Edited by Jynxy 2014-02-28 2:03 PM

2014-02-28 4:18 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

I went a little quiet because

1. training hasn't gone well lately

2. I didn't want to post too much so ppl won't get tired of me :P

As for my plans. This night I went eating with the family because its my dads birthday (actualle the 26st). Today I also went to the Osteopathe again because my neck upper back problems aren't fixed. And it still doesnt feel as it should be so I'm probably going back next week. It doesn't really affect my trainings but it is a hindrance. But because of the severe manipulation of my neck and spine, the osteopathe forbid me to train today and tomorrow.

So everyone, ho was february? These are my stats so far:

Swim: 3h 50m - 9950 M (-40m)
Bike: 4h 55m 27s - 139.88 KM (-35m)
Run: 3h 33m 49s - 37.5 KM (-2 hours)
Bike to Work: 11h 20m (-3 hours)

All in all, I trained less then in january. A bit dissappointed though... At least my weight has gone down, allthough I will have a slight increase after this evenings dinner tomorrow :D And i'll take new measurements with the taper meter (sp?). I'm really looking forward to how much hs changed in 1 month.

Edited by Tridimi 2014-02-28 4:19 PM
2014-02-28 9:40 PM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

Here are my February totals:

Swim: 3h 04m - 6250 Yd
Bike: 6h 49m 09s - 75.04 Mi

Run: 4h 44m 38s - 26.8 M

Pretty good I think! This last week I really pushed it and I will push it next week as well. I am trying to complete the whole Ironman distance in two weeks for a program at the YMCA. My body is definitely feeling it! I am starting to see some weight loss as well the past two weeks so that is also encouraging. Small steps is what it takes to reach your goal.

This weekend I hope to rest! My family all have karate obligations but I am hoping to do no more exercise than playing freeze tag with my kids. The weather is supposed to turn nasty on Sunday into Monday so staying close to home sounds good too.

2014-03-01 1:48 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
my February totals are

swim
5h 51m 11s - 11800.00 M (+7300M)

bike
10h 42m 14s - 164.96 Mi (+34Miles)

run
9h 27m 27s - 42.43 Mi (+5Miles)

strength
1h 17m

sport
5h 10m (-1HR)

Edited by Jynxy 2014-03-01 1:50 AM
2014-03-01 5:38 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

@Ann and Joe, those are nice totals.

I just bought the third edition of Joe Friels Triathlete's training Bible. I heard a lot of people always saying its a good book. Tomorrow (or technically today) i'm going to take new body measurements as today i didn't had the time.

2014-03-02 12:26 PM

Elkhorn, Nebraska
Tomorrow starts my official "Couch to Sprint" training. It's a12 wk program and my race is in 13 wks. A beginner question... does it matter if I swim or run first? I'm a stronger swimmer than runner so running first makes more sense for me. That and the fact that I won't be wet for a run... I told you I was a beginner.

I still haven't gotten a bike, but it's not like I can take it out right now anyway. This is one that they have at Scheels...

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product2_10052_10551_1147207_-...

Any thoughts?

Edited by colleengt 2014-03-02 6:47 PM

2014-03-02 4:38 PM
in reply to: colleengt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
My Feb has gone well
Swim: 4h 40m 49s Bike: 12h 02m 51s Run: 14h 31m 34s Strength: 2h 53m
I'm trying to work on consistency with my training and all in all it's going pretty well.

I've also managed to stick to my target calorie intake and have dropped around 4kg and 1.5% body fat and I'm really pleased to have stuck to the plan for so long.

I'm racing next weekend and after that start the big build for my big race in June.
2014-03-03 7:35 AM
in reply to: colleengt

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome back Colleen! 

If you'd rather run before swimming, that is OK.  It would only be when you're doing specific "Brick" workouts that you would ride-then-run to experience the feeling of running after cycling.  Most training probrams don't have swim-then-run or swim-then-ride workouts. 

What kind of riding do you want to do?  Each type of bike has advantages and disadvantages. 

True road bike (with the drop handlebars):  PRO's:  Low rolling resistance (skinny, high-pressure tires), lightweight, efficient riding position.  If you want to ride 100+ miles, this is a good choice.  CON's:  may be uncomfortable for "casual" riding (bent over), prone to flats (from the skinny tires)
Tri bike:  PRO's:  Similar to road bikes, but with a riding position that favors aerodynamics.  CON's:  Very expensive, even compared to road bikes. 
Mountain bike:  PRO's:  Extremely durable if heavy frame, durable tires, more upright riding position, low gearing (good for riding up a hill).  CON's:  Very high rolling resistance, buzzing if you ride on hard surfaces (from the knobby tires). Heavy. 
Fitness bikes:  PRO's:  Lighter than mountain bikes, more durable tires than road bikes, more comfortable upright riding position which is good for casual riding, smooth and durable tires.  CON's:  Not as durable as a mountain bike nor as efficient as a road bike. 

For most "casual" riders, a fitness bike makes far more sense than a road bike.  You will be more upright, so you're more visible in traffic and you can see what is ahead of you better than when you're hunched over. 

2014-03-03 7:37 AM
in reply to: Kate_r

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Kate_r My Feb has gone well Swim: 4h 40m 49s Bike: 12h 02m 51s Run: 14h 31m 34s Strength: 2h 53m I'm trying to work on consistency with my training and all in all it's going pretty well. I've also managed to stick to my target calorie intake and have dropped around 4kg and 1.5% body fat and I'm really pleased to have stuck to the plan for so long. I'm racing next weekend and after that start the big build for my big race in June.

This is great Kate!  Stick to the plan and patiently watch it work for you.  You averaged about an hour per day of training (a lot more than I did). 

2014-03-03 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4921078

User image

Elite
Hello all! A new month of training ahead of us! I am 3 weeks out from an Oly tri and 8 weeks out from St. George HIM! My training is ramping up again so I'm pretty excited about that!

Where isbeveryone else in trrms of upcoming races?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 36947 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.