General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kurt Kinetic Speed question (and power, too) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-06 6:39 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Kurt Kinetic Speed question (and power, too)
Santa brought me a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine for Christmas, and so far I'm liking it. Stable, smooth and quiet.

My questions:

1. When I ride outside, I usually average around 19 mph. (I'm still a cycling newbie, but I'm working on it. ) On the KK, I rode around 15 mph, with what I thought was pretty good Rate of Perceived Exertion, similar to my 19 mph rides. Anyone else notice this with their KK Road Machine, or am I just dogging it?

2. I found two different formulas online to convert speed to power for the KK Road Machine, I'm using this one in an excel spreadsheet: P=S^3*0.019168+S*5.24482. Is this the correct one? How accurate is this power estimation?

Thanks, BT!

2014-01-07 7:15 AM
in reply to: DannyII

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Kurt Kinetic Speed question (and power, too)
(I moved this thread to tri talk)
2014-02-14 2:10 PM

User image

Hey,

I dont have a whole lot of input as i am a cycling noob too. I have noticed the same thing however. I was riding about 20 mph on the road. I got my trainer for Christmas and it was kicking my but at 18 mph. I normally can get a descent ride in at 16 mph. Maybe we will get some good info here.
2014-02-14 3:03 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Speed is not a very good indicator for indoor training. Time and power is a whole lot better… so don't stare at your 16mph vs. 19mph outdoors.

I have no clue how accurate your power formula is, but just recognize that it is an estimate. Since you are using the same formula, on the same bike and trainer, the deviation will be fairly accurate. In essence, if your calculated power is increased by 5W as a result of your training, I bet that will be fairly accurate. If you are asking if that means the 200W you produce is accurate, then I would venture to say no… but honestly, it's the delta that is really interesting anyways...
2014-02-16 5:00 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Regular
1. I found out that I did have the right formula, so I made an Excel spreadsheet with MPH in one column, and POWER in the other, and hung it next to my bike. Still pretty pitiful power output, but I'm improving!

2. The general thought was to not worry about converting trainer speed to road speed. Just be consistent in pumping the tire to the same pressure, and tightening the pressure knob the same number of turns each time. Then you can track your avg. mph for your trainer rides to look for the improvement.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kurt Kinetic Speed question (and power, too) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kurt Kinetic Power Computer

Started by KenD
Views: 3063 Posts: 3

2009-09-28 10:50 AM randym

'09 Kurt Kinetic vs '08 Kurt Kinetic

Started by AnthonyF
Views: 541 Posts: 1

2008-11-07 1:48 PM AnthonyF

Kurt Kinetic Power Computer

Started by tri-again
Views: 523 Posts: 2

2008-10-07 9:37 AM sty

kurt kinetic power meter

Started by kt65
Views: 6717 Posts: 12

2008-12-09 5:01 AM Technologist

Kurt Kinetic Road Machine - questions

Started by trigirl74
Views: 1525 Posts: 5

2007-01-03 4:46 PM kristenc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.
date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.

date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.