General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extensor Tendonitis/Top of Foot Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-07 10:51 AM

User image

Subject: Extensor Tendonitis/Top of Foot Pain
For all those dealing with this issue I feel your pain. After X-Rays & an MRI, I was diagnosed with Extensor Tendonitis. I had no pain to the touch, however about mile 3 the pain would return over and over no matter how good I felt starting off. I am just now back at pre-injury training levels after 10 weeks. I say all that to say this...after all the RICE cycles I am training again because I simply changed my shoelaces to a ladder pattern! I had adjusted my shoes, tried different one, but this was what took enough pressure off my foot. I hope this can help anyone that has or is in my "shoes" no pun intended.

2014-01-08 12:06 AM
in reply to: tripilotclt

User image

Canyon, Texas
Subject: RE: Extensor Tendonitis/Top of Foot Pain
Great tip. I've had the same issue from running a marathon with one shoe tied too tight. I wonder if those "speed laces" would help as well?
2014-01-08 11:59 AM
in reply to: tlancer23

User image

Yes Sir! I should've mentioned I used the speed laces in the ladder pattern.
2014-01-08 12:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by tripilotclt Yes Sir! I should've mentioned I used the speed laces in the ladder pattern.

I've had this before, and one time was actually exacerbated by a type of speedlaces (the ones with the stretchy knots).  This is a painful and frustrating injury

2014-01-08 12:58 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by tripilotclt Yes Sir! I should've mentioned I used the speed laces in the ladder pattern.

I've had this before, and one time was actually exacerbated by a type of speedlaces (the ones with the stretchy knots).  This is a painful and frustrating injury

Stretchy laces are great for racing... but can be bad for training (note: CAN - not ARE). It can be hard to get proper pressure/support from them on a daily basis. 

2014-01-08 1:09 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Stretchy laces are great for racing... but can be bad for training (note: CAN - not ARE). It can be hard to get proper pressure/support from them on a daily basis. 

Especially these ones (they have the little "knots" that are set in place by the shoestring holes) as they end to be tighter in each section.  Best ones for me are the plain old bungees held by a clip at the top, they can stretch over the entire foot. 

2014-01-08 1:17 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I think this may be what I'm dealing with right now, symptoms sound about right. For my laces I'm using the Xtenex speed laces and have been tweaking with how tight they are over the top of my foot. I'll have to give the ladder lacing a try and see if that eases the pressure.

2014-01-08 1:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by MOlsen

I think this may be what I'm dealing with right now, symptoms sound about right. For my laces I'm using the Xtenex speed laces and have been tweaking with how tight they are over the top of my foot. I'll have to give the ladder lacing a try and see if that eases the pressure.

Them's the ones that were a problem for me.

Edited by ChrisM 2014-01-08 1:39 PM
2014-01-08 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4926092

User image

I should also mention that pool fins greatly aggravated this for me.

I don't use the knot styles laces. This website is very helpful with the lacing pattern.
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm
As he explains this works best with an even set of eyelets. My Brooks have and odd set (7). However as he explains towards the bottom of the website, one work around this issue is to skip one set of eyelets. So I skipped the set over top of where my pain was greatest. It was literal an instant fix, but I also had just come off 2 weeks of complete rest. I hope that made sense.
2014-01-24 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4927359

User image

Another tip that has helped me, if your using clip less pedals, is to ride sockless. I found with the bike shoes being so much tighter, this helped me a lot.
2014-01-24 11:07 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by MOlsen

Them's the ones that were a problem for me.

Update: I switched from the Xtenex to regular laces with a mixed cross (near the toe) and ladder (at the top of foot where I was having pain) lacing pattern. First run with this new pattern didn't improve much however the last couple of runs I have done are showing signs of improvement.

2014-01-25 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by tripilotclt
I don't use the knot styles laces. This website is very helpful with the lacing pattern.
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm

This website indicates: "Bringing you the fun, fashion & science of shoelaces"

Man, now my life IS complete :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extensor Tendonitis/Top of Foot Pain Rss Feed