General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Connecticut Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-10 11:16 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Moving to Connecticut
I'm moving to Connecticut next month for work. I got a job in Shelton and am looking to maybe move near or in the direction of New Haven. I am not familiar with Connecticut at all, being from California. Where would be a good place to live with my wife and 1.5 year old? That being said, I would love to be close to a good gym/masters swim group and good cycling roads. I can run anywhere. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2014-01-10 12:49 PM
in reply to: skankey

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Moving to Connecticut
Originally posted by skankey

I'm moving to Connecticut next month for work. I got a job in Shelton and am looking to maybe move near or in the direction of New Haven. I am not familiar with Connecticut at all, being from California. Where would be a good place to live with my wife and 1.5 year old? That being said, I would love to be close to a good gym/masters swim group and good cycling roads. I can run anywhere. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are plenty of good roads to ride on in the center of the state. Once you are a bit inland they are mostly hilly and fairly challenging. Along the coast you have flatter, very scenic rides but you have to deal with traffic congestion and related issues down there. I know Waterbury has a master programs there could be some others in the valley but at the risk of offending some on the board I wouldn't live in the valley if I had the option. The surrounding towns tend to be a bit nicer.
2014-01-13 10:38 AM

I would look towards the Middlebury, Southbury or Newtown area, allows you to ride in Litchfield County. Commute is about 40 minutes and schools are good in the area.
2014-01-13 7:00 PM
in reply to: edscoville

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by edscoville

I would look towards the Middlebury, Southbury or Newtown area, allows you to ride in Litchfield County. Commute is about 40 minutes and schools are good in the area.

Yeah I'd steer clear of New Haven. The commute down 95 would suck. Unless you took the train - but that might suck too these days.

Up rte 8 is a good idea!
2014-01-14 6:44 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

New user
Thanks for the advice everyone. Still doing as much research as possible to get the most for our money and be in a good neighborhood.
2014-01-18 4:06 PM

User image

You should be able to find a masters group on this site. I swim with the Meriden group, but that is a haul from the shoreline

2014-01-21 6:03 PM

User image

We moved to CT 8 years ago from the Midwest. Most of the population is concentrated along the I-95 and I-91 corridors. Shelton is a nice little area and living there would provide a couple of more rural routes northwest of there. It is wedged between Naugatuck (old industrial town) and Milford (high population seaport suburb). The valley towns get a bad rap (perhaps unwarranted in some cases). As mentioned, Bethel, Newtown, Oxford, and Southbury are quite rural in comparison and generally more affluent. Knowing what I know now, I'd would have moved to any of those communities.There are many secondary state routes for riding (great motor cycle routes for the same reason).

Schools in CT are generally quite good regardless of where you settle. Easy access to Rt. 84, 691, Rt 8 and the secondary rt 34 will greatly improve your commute and quality of life. There are exceptions. I don't mean to offend anyone (as I live in Meriden), I'd stay away from Bridgeport, Naugatuck, and Waterbury for certain. Waterbury in particular has had serious budget problems. If you're house hunting, you'll quickly notice large disparities between home prices even within close geographical areas. Wen my wife and I relocated, was working in West Haven at the time. She didn't have a job, so we bought a house in Meriden so that she could access either the west haven/Bridgeport or Hartford labor markets. She's worked in Hartford ever since so hedging our bets seemed to work out well for us. If you would like to talk more, P/M me and I'll send you my phone number. Glad to help out.

Jeff
2014-02-05 8:41 PM
in reply to: Jump4Joy

User image

New user
Thanks again everyone for the advice. I am now here in CT, just in time for all the snow. Had to get a gym membership right away and have been hitting the treadmill like crazy. I ended up in Hamden, so if anyone in the area ever wants to go for a run or ride let me know.
2014-02-15 5:53 PM

User image

Hamden is a nice community with good access to RT 91 and Rt 15. Hamden also has a linear trail going north to Cheshire. You could do 26 miles round trip. It's near flat and great for nice runs. Not so for riding, since there are far too many pedestrians for getting anywhere in a hurry.

You might consider a local Tri group. There are a number around. I'm a member of Heat (Hartford Area Extended Triathletes). Good luck and happy competing.

Jeff
2014-03-09 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4928610

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Jeff - check out www.multisportsacademy.com its right in hamden And offers indoor training as well as group rides, track workouts, ows and more. I've been taking the swim clinic all winter. Its a great group
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Connecticut Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fall in Connecticut

Started by cobratodd
Views: 1528 Posts: 4

2010-10-27 2:53 PM Red Barchetta

Anyone train in Eastern Connecticut??

Started by kmonie360
Views: 1721 Posts: 3

2010-09-29 9:12 AM aarondavidson

connecticut regional women's rides

Started by dredwards
Views: 1456 Posts: 4

2009-11-19 8:52 AM dredwards

Connecticut Bicycle Map

Started by Cappy
Views: 1292 Posts: 2

2008-05-06 12:11 PM aarondavidson

Madison Connecticut Sprint Tri 8th September

Started by jamesG
Views: 1084 Posts: 8

2007-05-24 2:22 PM felloffmybike
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.