General Discussion Race Reports! » Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoniexville, Pennsylvania
United States
Phoniexville Jaycees
27F / -3C
Overcast
Total Time = 22m 11s
Overall Rank = 19/232
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 7:45am and got dressed got gas and coffee, and drove to Franklin Mills, walked to Stepping Stones and signed up got my goodie bag and back to the car. Put my bib number on my sweat tops and tied my keys to my shoe, locked up.
Event warmup:

Went for warmup jog around the outside and back to the starting line and then back to the church. Was really cold, then got to he starting line area and waited
Run
  • 22m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

It was 27 degrees and windy. Started mid pack towards the front next to someone I thought was in my AG. Got going a bit slow thanks to the cold. After getting up the first hill and going downhill past the ice I finally started working forward and past a good chunk of people. Had my friend I started next to pass me on the hill just after the first mile but I surged going downhill and passed him back. Lead picking off a few more up to the 2 mile hill, when my buddy went past me with authority, a second guy tried to do the same but I clamped on to him and surged at the top of the hill (Evil little gradual climb after the turn for 300 yards or so, and put him back behind me and tried to chase down my buddy. Felt good for the first time in the race but apparently so did my buddy and he not only held me off but catch a group of four in front of us. Fortunately found out he wasn't in my AG after all.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up better. Wasn't ready to go.
Post race
Warm down:

Went for a second loop around the course about two miles in my right calf acted up. Stopped and stretched and then was able to continue but went slow and easy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being fully warmed up and being really cold. Raced in sweat top, long sleeve shirt, sweat pants and long thermal underwear, gloves, cap and Trakkers Hat.

Event comments:

Fourth year I have done this race (They did not have a race in 2011) and won my Age group the last 3 years.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-01-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:11 | 03.1 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 19/232
Performance: Average
Course: Same course as 2012. Start behind Franklin Mills, run down and around and up to Scyulkill Road, up and out past the Cemataries, onto the next road, down to Bridge street, up the hill to Main street then back around and past Franklin Mills and back to the start. Rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-01-11 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Burn The Bird

Started by stevepiv
Views: 656 Posts: 1

2013-11-30 3:44 PM stevepiv

Phoniexville Jaycees Burn off the Bird 5K

Started by southwestmba
Views: 1147 Posts: 1

2012-11-24 3:47 PM southwestmba

Started by southwestmba
Views: 1419 Posts: 3

2010-11-29 5:47 PM hip82

Started by southwestmba
Views: 1230 Posts: 1

2009-11-28 3:18 PM southwestmba

Vienna Jaycees 5K Turkey Trot

Started by rollinsw
Views: 1182 Posts: 5

2006-11-30 10:18 AM FishrCutB8
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.