Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Fluid trainer resistance
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by fisherman76
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville
Originally posted by axteraa

Just repeating my question from above.

When it happens, do you have to shift to a harder gear and/or increase your cadence to hit the same watts?

Sorry, missed it amongst all the replies. Cadence and gearing doesn't change to hit the same watts. just the amount of effort required increases drastically. To the point that i literally can't even touch the same wattage that I was sustaining earlier, even for a couple seconds.
If gearing and cadence don't change for the same wattage, I hate to tell you, but it ain't the trainer

Seeing as it's virtual watts with TR (I'm making an assumption there), I'd be inclined to think the opposite.  If gearing and cadence don't change then speed doesn't change.  Virtual watts are derived from speed so if RPE is suddenly going way up to maintain the same speed then something is providing additional resistance.  It would have to be the trainer or something rubbing on the wheel I would think (or somewhere else along the drivetrain)?  I suppose they could be suddenly getting tired but it really doesn't sound like that to me if I'm understanding correctly.

Edit to add: the reason I asked the question was if they suddenly had to shift or increase cadence that might suggest a problem with the speed sensor, maybe a misaligned magnet or something.

To the OP, can you post a link to a workout that it happened in?

that's exactly my point though...if 'wattage' is the same, and that wattage is calculated from trainerroad's virtual algorithm, that's being calculated by wheel speed and a resistance curve. If you don't change your gearing or your cadence and the 'wattage' is the same, that means the resistance is also the same, because the wheel speed is the same as well. What TriDadinAsheville said is that the *amount of effort required increases dramatically*, which is the only other variable in the equation.
If gearing changed to generate the same wattage at the same cadence, that would be a change in resistance.
If cadence changed to generate the same wattage in the same gear, that would be a change in resistance.
If RPE increases but everything else is held constant, that's just fatigue.

In the spirit of being helpful however, I don't know what TR does to interpret missing data....so if your sensor normally sends say, 1 packet a second, and the battery is low and starts sending it every 2 seconds instead, does trainerroad linearly interpolate the missing information? If there is some data compensation in there that could drag the wheel speed down, then the 'wattage' would go with it. Long and short -check your battery on the sensor I vaguely remember having an issue with my battery a while ago affecting TR, but I don't think it was behaving this way.

2014-01-31 11:55 AM
in reply to: tb1000

User image

This is my first post here, thought I've been a lurking and soaking it all in for quite a while now. So I hope I can contribute.

This may seem silly, but could it possibly be your rear hub? The reason I ask is that my bike does this sometimes out on the road. I'll be riding and it feels like someone put the brakes on. Get off, and everything turns fine. It's happened a few times and someone mentioned to me that it could bearings? I too can feel the "warm-up" on the trainer where resitance changes about 5-6 minutes into my ride. But i've never had the braking feeling on the trainer like I have on the road.
2014-01-31 1:11 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by spudone

Cycleops Fluid 2 definitely has a "warm-up" time, where once you ride it a bit, the resistance will bump up and then stay there.  But I usually hit that within about 5 minutes, not an hour.  Was your tire slipping or something like that?

I get this same step-up on my Performance fluid trainer now.  Depending on temps, about 5-10 minutes into the ride, it's about 20% harder effort it seems. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fluid trainer resistance Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Fluid trainer question - weird(?) resistance levels

Started by red66stang
Views: 872 Posts: 8

2010-02-02 7:26 PM Durvish

Fluid trainer or mag trainer?

Started by chevy57
Views: 2170 Posts: 11

2009-10-08 11:02 AM mmrocker13

Need Bike Resistance Trainer Input

Started by Pearl Dad
Views: 913 Posts: 5

2006-08-14 9:07 PM DarrellC

trainer resistance or gears?

Started by snake111
Views: 1051 Posts: 6

2006-03-27 11:17 PM AdventureBear

Rolling Resistance and Indoor Trainers

Started by qbtri
Views: 1081 Posts: 6

2006-01-20 10:35 AM Daremo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : November 23, 2009
author : mikericci
At the midpoint of the run I felt my calves start to cramp. How do I improve my cramping resistance and are there any extra training or exercise for me to improve on?
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : March 5, 2006
author : acbadger
Has anyone out there using the resistance bands insead of weights for strength training? If so, what have your results been?
date : May 16, 2005
author : bflrich
Many plateaus are actually resistance to accept that what used to work doesn’t carry the same bang anymore. Keep pushing and let yourself sweat. Don’t try to be comfortable, embrace the suffering.

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.
date : April 18, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.