General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Women's triathlon is now an NCAA sport! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-16 7:17 PM

Subject: Women's triathlon is now an NCAA sport!
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/01/news/ncaa-welcomes-womens-t...

This is good news. But c'mon, let's get it approved for the men too.

2014-01-16 8:18 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Women's triathlon is now an NCAA sport!

Originally posted by LarchmontTri http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/01/news/ncaa-welcomes-womens-t... This is good news. But c'mon, let's get it approved for the men too.

Don't hold your breath......I doubt we'll ever see it. 

You wouldn't see it for women if not for Title IX.

2014-01-17 8:03 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Glad to see it
2014-01-17 8:22 AM

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by LarchmontTri http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/01/news/ncaa-welcomes-womens-t... This is good news. But c'mon, let's get it approved for the men too.

Agree (for the most part) about the impact of Title IX, but it doesn't make the recognition of tri as an NCAA sport any less meaningful.
2014-01-17 9:10 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Agree (for the most part) about the impact of Title IX, but it doesn't make the recognition of tri as an NCAA sport any less meaningful.

Absolutely!  We are cheering the decision at our house.

2014-01-17 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Hopefully we will see the trickle down effect of this and start to see club teams at the high school level.

And, yes I realize I said "trickle down" in a tri forum so it's just a matter of time before someone references peeing on your bike.

2014-01-17 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Definitely glad to see it.

LB, you think this is just because all the money goes to the big 3 (or 4, in these parts - hockey still counts here) men's sports?  Or just the reeeeaaalllly big two?  Do you see another reason?

Matt

2014-01-17 11:40 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
http://www.usatriathlon.org/news/articles/2013/4/041013-marymount-t...

It may be new for DI but it's been an NCAA sport for a while. My school (Marymount University, DIII) had the first varsity team starting with the current school year, 2013/14.
2014-01-17 11:50 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

LB, you think this is just because all the money goes to the big 3 (or 4, in these parts - hockey still counts here) men's sports?  Or just the reeeeaaalllly big two?  Do you see another reason?

Matt

Well, Title IX was specifically brought about to even up the amount of athletic scholarships than men and women receive.  That being said, unless scholarships for the big men's sports (giant revenue producers) are reduced then I don't see how it CAN happen.  Part of the problem with Title IX (and before anyone flames, I agree with the principle) is that if you add more mens NCAA Championship sports and scholarships then you have to add even more women's scholarships....Universities are not willing.  Title IX compliance is not always as easy as it seems it would be......that's why sports for women are added but the men are left out.

Dunn Right - yes, your school has varsity triathlon, but it is NOT a NCAA Championship sport and therefore not eligible for scholarships....that's the distinction that was just removed for women's triathlon.  Of cvourse, in your school's case it wouldn't matter anyway as you are a Div III school and do not grant athletic scholarships.

2014-01-17 12:41 PM

User image

NC
Going to need to up the 4yo's weekly yardage.

2014-01-17 1:24 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia

Matt

>Dunn Right - yes, your school has varsity triathlon, but it is NOT a NCAA Championship sport and therefore not eligible for scholarships....that's the distinction that was just removed for women's triathlon.  Of cvourse, in your school's case it wouldn't matter anyway as you are a Div III school and do not grant athletic scholarships.

My mistake!

2014-01-17 1:44 PM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Dunn Right

Matt

>Dunn Right - yes, your school has varsity triathlon, but it is NOT a NCAA Championship sport and therefore not eligible for scholarships....that's the distinction that was just removed for women's triathlon.  Of cvourse, in your school's case it wouldn't matter anyway as you are a Div III school and do not grant athletic scholarships.

My mistake!

No big deal....you guys  have a nice program.

2014-01-17 11:26 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sigh....only 25 years too late. Maybe I should go back to school.
2014-01-21 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Now they have 10 years to establish with schools. I don't know the exact number but they need a certain amount of schools to have varsity teams in D1, D2, and D3 before they can officially call it an NCAA sport. So this is a step in the right direction, but triathlon still has a LONG way to go before it is officially an NCAA sport.
2014-01-21 9:40 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25 Now they have 10 years to establish with schools. I don't know the exact number but they need a certain amount of schools to have varsity teams in D1, D2, and D3 before they can officially call it an NCAA sport. So this is a step in the right direction, but triathlon still has a LONG way to go before it is officially an NCAA sport.

40 schools in 10 years.  There is no NCAA Championship sport in Div III.  

2014-01-22 6:55 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Here's an excellent article that gives a lot more details about the process:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/01/features/ncaa-triathlon-what-it-all-means_92788

2014-01-22 7:24 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Matt

There is no three or four.  There are only two revenue producing sports in college athletics: men's football and men's basketball.  That's it.  Every other men's sport and every women's sport loses money.  Men's football and basketball subsidizes all the other college sports.  I'm assuming baseball was the third of your big three.  Baseball loses money too.

There might be certain outliers.  Like maybe Syracuse's lacrosse team makes some money or Johns Hopkins' lacrosse team makes some money or Iowa's wrestling team or Boston College's hockey team makes some money.  Places where you have a fanatical following in a niche sport.  Even then I doubt they make money as travel costs to away games are what really costs a ton of dough.

2014-01-22 8:48 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Matt

There is no three or four.  There are only two revenue producing sports in college athletics: men's football and men's basketball.  That's it.  Every other men's sport and every women's sport loses money.  Men's football and basketball subsidizes all the other college sports.  I'm assuming baseball was the third of your big three.  Baseball loses money too.

There might be certain outliers.  Like maybe Syracuse's lacrosse team makes some money or Johns Hopkins' lacrosse team makes some money or Iowa's wrestling team or Boston College's hockey team makes some money.  Places where you have a fanatical following in a niche sport.  Even then I doubt they make money as travel costs to away games are what really costs a ton of dough.

Men's football and basketball are basically minor leagues for Professional sports.  If I were king for a day then the NFL and NBA would either fully subsidize other collegiate sports, or they would fully fund the educations of football and basketball scholarship players, therefore opening those scholarships up for other athletes in other sports.  This is not a complicated problem, but nobody is holding the NFL or NBA's toes to the fire....tho9se are billion dollar entities, they can subsidize the avenues that provide their athletes.

2014-01-22 10:43 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Matt

It's even worse than that. Even basketball and football aren't profitable at most schools. Definitely not the cash cow people think. Even the elite basketball programs like Duke and North Carolina don't generate enough to fund the school's overall athletic department. At a VERY few elite football schools like Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Oklahoma etc they basically have a license to print money. But that's maybe 10 or 15 schools at the most.

Something like 23 of the 228 Public Universities athletic departments in Division 1 operated at a profit in 2012, all of them in the big football conferences.
2014-01-22 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by bcagle25 Now they have 10 years to establish with schools. I don't know the exact number but they need a certain amount of schools to have varsity teams in D1, D2, and D3 before they can officially call it an NCAA sport. So this is a step in the right direction, but triathlon still has a LONG way to go before it is officially an NCAA sport.

You mean for triathlons or for any sport?  Cause I'm pretty certain there is for Football. 

2014-01-22 10:51 AM

Matt

Men's football and basketball are basically minor leagues for Professional sports.  If I were king for a day then the NFL and NBA would either fully subsidize other collegiate sports, or they would fully fund the educations of football and basketball scholarship players, therefore opening those scholarships up for other athletes in other sports.  This is not a complicated problem, but nobody is holding the NFL or NBA's toes to the fire....tho9se are billion dollar entities, they can subsidize the avenues that provide their athletes.

In Europe, intercollegiate athletics doesn't really exist like it does here. The feeder system to the pros is the elite junior club system, which is funded by the pro clubs themselves. Not sure if that system would ever fly here, since the clubs identify elite kids as young as 11 or 12 and get them started training basically full time to groom them as pro athletes. But I think eventually you'll see public money dry up for college athletics and the pro leagues will have no choice but to set up their own feeder system.

2014-01-22 10:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by crowny2

You mean for triathlons or for any sport?  Cause I'm pretty certain there is for Football. 

What I mean by "NCAA Championship Sport" is that there are no athletic scholarships for Div. III sports....only Div I and Div. II have that designation for their athletics.  It's an NCAA designation, not mine.  It's mostly semantics and the fact that there are no Div.l III athletic scholarships.  An dyes, the NCAA awards "Championships" to Div. III schools in a number of sports.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-01-22 11:11 AM
2014-01-22 11:02 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by RollTideTri

Matt

In Europe, intercollegiate athletics doesn't really exist like it does here. The feeder system to the pros is the elite junior club system, which is funded by the pro clubs themselves. Not sure if that system would ever fly here, since the clubs identify elite kids as young as 11 or 12 and get them started training basically full time to groom them as pro athletes. But I think eventually you'll see public money dry up for college athletics and the pro leagues will have no choice but to set up their own feeder system.

I would be OK with that, and actually, that is how triathlon is starting to go with draft legal ITU racing.  There are a number of HPT (high performance teams) youth/elite clubs now that are basically feeder systems for elite triathlon....at least at the draft legal level.  The kids are identified through Talent ID designated races and the clubs also try to identify kids through swimming and running programs.  But it's 100% funded by parents and donations until a kid reaches a very elite level.  That is all about to change for girls since colleges will already have girls identified through this program that can step into collegiate draft legal racing as an NCAA sport.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-01-22 11:02 AM
2014-01-22 11:35 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by crowny2

What I mean by "NCAA Championship Sport" is that there are no athletic scholarships for Div. III sports....only Div I and Div. II have that designation for their athletics.  It's an NCAA designation, not mine.  It's mostly semantics and the fact that there are no Div.l III athletic scholarships.  An dyes, the NCAA awards "Championships" to Div. III schools in a number of sports.

AH!  Gotcha.  Yep, I went to a DIII and competed in high jump so I know what you are talking about now.  Thanks. 

2014-01-22 1:38 PM

Originally posted by RollTideTri

Matt

It's even worse than that. Even basketball and football aren't profitable at most schools. Definitely not the cash cow people think. Even the elite basketball programs like Duke and North Carolina don't generate enough to fund the school's overall athletic department. At a VERY few elite football schools like Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Oklahoma etc they basically have a license to print money. But that's maybe 10 or 15 schools at the most.

Something like 23 of the 228 Public Universities athletic departments in Division 1 operated at a profit in 2012, all of them in the big football conferences.

The money that the athletic programs are not as simple as gate and tv revenue less expenses. You get a certain amount of donations to the general fund when sport team perform well. Sports also drive university branded clothing (and other stuff). I would assume that you see people wearing UNC clothing even if they have no affiliation with the school. They buy and wear these clothes because they have a good basketball team. I assume that the university get a % of the licensing sales.

Edited by Sidney Porter 2014-01-22 1:39 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Women's triathlon is now an NCAA sport! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

What's a great women's sport watch to buy...

Started by tradershez
Views: 610 Posts: 4

2012-02-12 12:33 PM mmez

Women: Tri in sports bra?

Started by jessm
Views: 2354 Posts: 23

2009-06-09 8:33 AM kat_astrophe

Men and Women and Sports Equality Pages: 1 2 3

Started by cmbcwb3
Views: 2931 Posts: 58

2007-04-04 2:39 PM SuzanneS

Sports Bras for women

Started by Dougaljk
Views: 2437 Posts: 18

2006-04-06 12:17 PM 1234sowa56

Reebok Women's Triathlon-Seattle: Raising money for Ovarian Cancer Research

Started by jasmine
Views: 723 Posts: 12

2004-09-08 3:29 PM jasmine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Recurrent injuries to the groin are slow to heal, easily re-injured, and will frustrate your training and competition plans. Learn about the diagnosis, anatomy and treatment of sports hernias.

date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.
date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : September 10, 2007
author : tripastor
comments : 2
Triathlon serves up many humbling moments. The most humbling of days came not during a race day but by email. I had been invited to participate in the Rambling Rose Women’s Only Triathlon. Wow.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.