General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disc wheel cover for power tap Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-17 1:56 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Disc wheel cover for power tap

I know I can  probably call someone at wheelbuilders to find the answer but I thought I'd see if this animal even exists and anyone has experience with one.  I picked up a smoking deal on a G3 powertap built onto a cycleops wheel set....it appears to be their standard set.  Does anyone have this set and if so, does anyone have or know if there is a disc cover available for the wheel?

This  is the wheelset:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/cycleops-powertap-alloy-g3-training-wheelset

Thanks.

2014-01-17 2:15 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Melbourne, Florida
Subject: RE: Disc wheel cover for power tap

I'm sure that someone will say otherwise, but that's a pretty tight fit with no room beyond the braking surface to tape a cover to the rim. In the '90s there were some heavy plastic disc covers that clipped right onto the spokes but I haven't seen one those in eons.

2014-01-17 2:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Email wheelbuilders you'll have your answer within the hour.  I have a similar rim profile that's not deep at all and it's fine.  I don't use tape, i use the rivets and in 4 races including IM and HIM it's absolutely fine, no rattling

Also they list incompatible wheels on their site

___

What wheels are known NOT to work with disc covers?
We can custom trim a disc cover for almost any spoked wheel, but there are some wheels with known compatibility issues.

Reasons for incompatibility are:

• Insufficient clearance between your cassette and the drive side spokes. The covers require at least 5mm of clearance between the drive side spokes and the large cog on your cassette. Wheels with less than 5mm of clearance allow the covers to touch the chain, cog-set, or even the derailleur.
  • Very deep rim sections: in excess of 100mm. The covers do not lie completely flat when they're extremely small.

Wheels that are always incompatible with covers:

• Track or Fixie wheels
  • Front wheels
  • Tandem wheels
  • Wheels with disc brakes
  • All 3, 4 or 5 spoke composite wheels including HED H3C, HED H3, H3D, X-Core 3-Spoke, Aerospoke, etc.
  • Shimano factory produced wheels with Shimano hubs
    • NOTE: Most wheels with Shimano drivetrains are okay. Wheels that do not work are Shimano's factory builds listed above and generally say "Shimano," "Dura Ace" etc. on the rim
  • Campagnolo factory produced wheels, including the following models: Zonda, Eurus, Shamal Ultra, Bora Ultra, Hyperion Ultra, Neutron Ultra, Ghibli Ultra, Scirocco, Vento Reaction, Khamsin
    • NOTE: Many wheels with Campagnolo drivetrains will work. Wheels that do not work are Campagnolo's factory built wheels listed above and say "Campagnolo" on the rim
  • Fulcrum wheels, including the following models: Racing Chrono, Racing Speed, Racing Speed XLR, Racing Light XLR, Racing Zero 2-Way Fit, Racing Zero, Racing 1 2-Way Fit, Racing 1, Racing 3 2-Way Fit, Racing 3, Racing 5, Racing 7
  • Lightweight brand wheels
  • Williams brand wheels

Edited by ChrisM 2014-01-17 2:24 PM
2014-01-17 2:28 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro

Thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disc wheel cover for power tap Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wheel builder.com vs power tap package

Started by trmat79
Views: 1553 Posts: 7

2013-11-19 9:16 PM ziggie204

power tap wheel options Pages: 1 2

Started by trix
Views: 3382 Posts: 27

2010-05-07 10:30 PM trix

Power Tap wheel option

Started by KathyG
Views: 2282 Posts: 7

2009-05-21 7:53 AM lrobb

How to : Custom cut your Disc Wheel COver Pages: 1 2

Started by ranger5oh
Views: 4427 Posts: 36

2008-07-03 3:21 PM ranger5oh

Disc covers for rear wheels

Started by nel34
Views: 1620 Posts: 12

2007-02-08 7:59 AM tritank
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After surgery for a herniated disc, is running causing a repeat injury?

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : June 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
I know that annular tears mean there is a risk for a bigger disc blow-out. How do I continue to train and compete without putting myself at risk for worsening of my injury?

date : September 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.
date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.