General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shipping in Iowa? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-18 6:50 PM

User image

New user
Iowa
Subject: Bike shipping in Iowa?
hi! I'm registered to do Puerto Rico 70.3 and have to figure out how to ship my bike. My friend uses Tri Bike transport but he is out of state and it doesn't look like there is an affiliated location here in iowa. Any suggestions? I'm in West Des Moines. Called Bike World but the guy didn't know which surprised me.

2014-01-20 9:26 AM
in reply to: etakla

User image

Subject: RE: Bike shipping in Iowa?
Give Kyle's Bikes a call. 965-0333. They are in Ankeny.
2014-01-26 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4934335

User image

New user
Iowa
2014-03-26 2:27 PM

User image

Thanks for the post. I am doing IMFL in November and was wondering the same thing. Almost tempted to drive but it's Halloween week
and don't want to miss my kids' fun! I will check with Kyle's as well. Good luck to you on your race!
2014-04-03 10:36 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

New user
Iowa
It ends up that I'm actually renting a bike box from Rasmussen (on Grand) and checking my bike on the plane. With Delta it's $150 each way and $50 to rent the box for a week. Oh and another $50 for them to take it apart and put it in the box but you can watch so you know how to do it on the return. I did also call Kyles bikes and the guy was super duper nice. Not sure how soon you would have to get your bike to them to ship though. My cousin is shipping his thru Tri Bike Transport (from Michigan) for our HIM in Puerto Rico and he had to take it in TWO WEEKS prior to the race!

BTW - Bike shipping is a cost I wasn't prepared for - $400! Then a minor moment of panic on how to get it from the airport to the race venue. I posted here and someone said there are a lot of van cabs at the airport so I hope I find one!
2014-04-04 1:15 PM

User image

Originally posted by etakla

It ends up that I'm actually renting a bike box from Rasmussen (on Grand) and checking my bike on the plane. With Delta it's $150 each way and $50 to rent the box for a week. Oh and another $50 for them to take it apart and put it in the box but you can watch so you know how to do it on the return. I did also call Kyles bikes and the guy was super duper nice. Not sure how soon you would have to get your bike to them to ship though. My cousin is shipping his thru Tri Bike Transport (from Michigan) for our HIM in Puerto Rico and he had to take it in TWO WEEKS prior to the race!

BTW - Bike shipping is a cost I wasn't prepared for - $400! Then a minor moment of panic on how to get it from the airport to the race venue. I posted here and someone said there are a lot of van cabs at the airport so I hope I find one!

Feeling a little stressed out all of the sudden. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH why can't there be an Ironman in Des Moines anyway?? Would be so much easier. I like to do my first crazy distance on my own turf or within driving distance. This was the only race that fit into my daugther's tournament softball schedule. She runs our lives. hee hee. Just how it is right now. Thank you for all of the info. Keep posting. It's nice to hear about other experiences. I will plan on spending at least $400. Who is putting your bike back together for you when you get there?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shipping in Iowa? Rss Feed