Rocket Racing
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 45m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W50/54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Laid out clothes the night before so all was easy that morn. Knew that I would be a little cold at first but decided shorts were the way to go.
Event warmup:

We parked over a mile from event so walking up there loosened me; I also did some shoulder shrugs while walking. I chose the portapotties as my first stop and when finished, realized the race was about to start and I hadn't dropped my gear. Ran to Gear Check, dropped off bag, ran back, and the race started. I did a few more stretches and then started a tad late.
Run
  • 4h 45m 9s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

My wonderful mentor Steve (Baowolf) gently encouraged me to close the distance between my ez runs and intervals. Originally I was planning for fall/winter HMs but with some of Steve's comments and my friend Mel proposing a girl's weekend to Louisiana, I decided to sign up for the full and really try to put in the miles, beef up the training, and HTFU. I found out some things about myself during the training. The prior year had been a lot of easy running because of various small setbacks so I found I really enjoyed training harder and faster. I sought hills, ran intervals, did lots of race pace runs, sweated, and mentally toughened up.

December was a setback. I had a basil cell skin cancer cut off my arm and I had the Carac cream on my chest, arms, face, and ears. The minor surgery wouldn't have been a problem but that harsh cream really took me down. I almost passed out in a race in Dec and then running was tough because of the burning. Continued with my long runs but missed some of my base runs. Stopped the intervals during that time and lost intensity on other runs because I just felt sick. I wish I could have powered thru all of it. But I didn't.

So when the treatment ended, I was ready to go but now it's taper time. Too late to add intervals. Then the PF came back; thankfully tho, it wasn't awful. Hubby encouraged me during the Carac treatment and then the PF to drop down to the HM but no, I wasn't going to do that. I had put in the work earlier and would rather be swept from the course than not try.

Race day was perfect. Weather was awesome and I loved the course. My plan was to stay easy for 10 miles, stay easy for another 8 or so depending on the legs, and most definitely kick it for the last 6 to 8 miles - especially the last 2 miles. I was doing fine when digestive issues hit at Mile 8. During that portaporty stop, both the 4:20 and 4:30 pace groups passed. I was disappointed but I thought there would be a good chance of catching the 4:30 group near the end.

Mile 14 or so, left ITB started bothering me. I really tried to play everything right but because I don't have true clarity here, I wonder if I could have done something better. I kinda of think not but this was definitely the weaker time for me. I still focused on nutrition but since I thought I might have overdone the water a tad, I did the Chomps here instead of gels.

Mile 17 - 20, digestive issues are occupying my brain but all of the PPs were busy and I wouldn't take the time to stop. Wish I hadn't seen that sign at Mile 18 that said, "Don't Poop Yourself". Finally, right before Mile 20, find a construction PP that is free and I grab it.

I leave my PP and see Mile 20 marker. I decide that I'll push it to the end. I calculated I would have to do one more gel/water around Mile 22 but that would be my only walk. The left ITB is killing me now and starting to run is hard. Twice the leg seized and I had to walk a few secs and once I did a stretch to help. I knew my 4:30 goal was long gone and I didn't even think I would get a PR. Thought about walking it in but decided to screw that notion. Now looking at the race results, I see that my last 10K was highly respectable for me and I'm glad that I pushed past the mental walls. I did end up with a small PR in the end - not like I wanted but I'm still proud I pushed when I thought I wouldn't get a PR.
What would you do differently?:

It would be easy to say to change things in Dec but that was needed for health and I wouldn't put it off. I wish I could have powered thru my discomfort at that time but since I didn't, I tried to acknowlege it, leave it, and go forward with what I had done.

The one thing that I need to figure out is the digestive issue. I've had problem with gels in the past but then I became very cognizant of taking a small walk break and water when taking a gel. It was working but it's been a while since I've raced as hard. So I need more hard runs with the gels or to find a substitute.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, hit the PP again, and then stretches, stretches, and more stretches. I got my extra medal from Marathon Maniacs Reunion (I'm a Half Fanatic) and then got some jambalaya. I did not want to eat but I forced myself for recovery.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dec wasn't a stellar training month. Also next time, I would like to modify my plan to be slightly longer or at least be in HM shape when I start. I had a good base going into the plan but my longs were at 7 miles; I'd like for 12 miles to be my norm when I start next time so the build to 20 miles will be smoother/cleaner.

Event comments:

I cannot say enough good things about this race. The course was stunning and the volunteers were amazing. Very good spectator participation - maybe not as much as somethng like a RNR but most definitely consistent. The police officers did the best job I have seen with the traffic. The course was rather flat with the exception of the overpass at mile 1.5 and mile 24.5; it wasn't a bad hill but in comparision to the flat course, some people thought it was higher than it was. The overpass and some of the area around it was concrete and I hate concrete but that's my own issue. This race had one of the best vibes - not fabricated "party" but festive, gracious, and fun. And those race photographers, Oh My, those guys were geniuses! I've hated all of my race photos but these guys were good; I don't look like a total doofball.

Last updated: 2013-09-09 12:00 AM
Running
04:45:09 | 26.2 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Started at Capitol, thru LSU, around a lake, an out and back loop on canopy roads with some beautiful houses, and back to Capitol.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-01-21 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: Louisiana Marathon

2014-01-21 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4935977

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Louisiana Marathon
So glad that you had a good race and a PR....mentally and physically! Great insights on what you learned on the path to and through this Marathon. Your report and what you have shared in our mentor group is truly beautiful. So very happy for you, and looking forward to your next one .
2014-01-22 5:39 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
So proud of you...you powered thru and most people never run 26.2. Replace the gels and you'll get an another PR just from not stopping at the porta potties...lol Find another one and keep training!
2014-01-22 6:42 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Congratulations, Pam!!  A PR amidst a bad prior month and digestive issues!?!  You're a rock star!!   I love your mental fortitude - most people would've scaled back to a HM or dropped all together.   I'm so sorry to hear of your skin cancer issue - I didn't know you were dealing with that.   I love seeing the support you get from Karl.  You two make a great couple.       Again, congratulations - your moxie is admirable!!

2014-01-22 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4935977

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Way to go, Pam!! great effort to push through!
2014-01-22 9:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Thanks to all of you dear friends. Sorry I can't write a simple and short RR. :-( But I always try to write what I remember so hopefully I can improve next time.

Brenda, thankfully the skin cancer issues aren't anything serious. Just fair skin and a lot of stupid things done back before we all knew better. But, for everyone, Wear your Sunscreen.

Edited by Pink Socks 2014-01-22 9:28 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Louisiana Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Louisiana Marathon

Started by JimB
Views: 1006 Posts: 1

2013-01-21 4:46 PM JimB

Louisiana Half Marathon

Started by DigitalRain
Views: 1226 Posts: 4

2013-01-21 1:05 PM noelle1230

Louisiana Marathon

Started by JimB
Views: 836 Posts: 2

2012-01-29 10:21 PM BigDH

Louisiana Half Marathon

Started by kalumbaugh
Views: 993 Posts: 1

2012-01-15 4:14 PM kalumbaugh

The HALF Marathon of Central Louisiana

Started by mdr5448
Views: 816 Posts: 1

2010-11-22 5:38 PM mdr5448
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 1
How a father and son went from zero to marathon and had the experience of a lifetime!
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area