General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf pain advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-22 7:19 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Calf pain advice
I've now had this recurring pain in my soleus muscle(just below the big calf muscle), on the inside. The first time I felt it was this summer. After some rest it was gone(though I don't think it was the exact same spot). Last night was my first run of my first recovery week, so it was a very slow run, only 30 minutes, but the terrain was quite hilly. I noticed it about half way in and figured it was just a little tight and kept running. By the time i was done it was hurting pretty badly.
By the end of the night I could walk alright, with a limp, but if i put weight on my toes it was very painful. I'm going to lay off running for the rest of the week and try to ice it every night. I also foam rolled and used the stick on it last night, which hurt like all hell. I'm not sure if i should keep that up or not.

My other concern is my plans for the season. My big races are a half on may 5th, and a full in october. I'm worried that too much rest and I won't be able to be prepared for the half, however, if i soldier on for the may race i'll do more damage and not be able to train for the full, which is my higher priority race. I told the wife this would be my last year of long distance racing for a while, so I can spend more time with our young family.

I will see a doc if it doesn't get better, but I just wanted to get the thoughts from anyone on here who's had any kind of similar pain.

As for my workload, it was relatively unstructured through the end of dec and my running volume was all over the place. At one point I was up to 25 miles in a week, but that happened once, I did build up to that, but really it was all over. The last three weeks I've been more consistent with about 50% of my volume cycling, and 25/25 of swimming and running. My running has been in the 15-17miles/week over the last three weeks, so it doesn't seem too much to cause an injury.

Edit: FWIW, I started running on Hoka's about two weeks ago, and have been doing about half my runs on them, and half on my previous shoes, which are Newtons. Yesterdays run was in my Newtons.

Edited by TriDadinAsheville 2014-01-22 7:21 AM

2014-01-22 8:19 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: Calf pain advice
Here's my experience with something similar:
http://trited.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-week-in-not-training-februar...

I had to lay off run training for several weeks, but I did wind up finishing the 50 miler in May! Be sure to rest and recover. My experience is that these calf injuries have a way of coming back:

Best of Luck!
2014-01-22 8:49 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by tedjohn

Here's my experience with something similar:
http://trited.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-week-in-not-training-februar...

I had to lay off run training for several weeks, but I did wind up finishing the 50 miler in May! Be sure to rest and recover. My experience is that these calf injuries have a way of coming back:

Best of Luck!

Well, that's encouraging that you were still able to do a 50 miler after experiencing something like this. Like you, I'm not nearly at the point of being unable to walk, in fact I don't even have a limp, but I still feel it. I'm thinking of doing that Tour of Sufferlandria, which should keep me sufficiently exhausted enough so that I'll have no interest whatsoever in running during that time.
I agree with you there, I feel like I"ve been fighting this thing on and off for months. Even when it didn't hurt, I could still feel it was there, but just couldn't make myself stop. Hopefully, ice, heat, stretching, and rolling will help.
2014-01-22 9:31 AM

User image

Definitely take it easy. When I had pain in that location, I thought it was just a torn muscle and should heal quickly. It turned out to be a torn AT and took about a year to heal. One of the reasons that it took so long to heal was that I kept pushing it. I should have known it wasn't the muscle because I could ride my bike without pain (and I live in a very hilly area).
2014-01-22 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
I have got what now seems to be a chronic calf issue. I get mine just where the soleus "joins" the gastroc head. It seems that every 3 or so months once I get going I get stopped by my calves. In fact I am in my 1st week back after just taking the last 3wks completely off running.
Google Calf Heart Attack and see if maybe it applies to you.
I just had 3 sessions of Dry Needling to try and get my calves to release. That seems to have worked. My PT who did the needling also thinks it is a neuro thing, so has me doing Sural Nerve Flossing (similar to a little stretch and work son getting your sural nerve to glide and move a little better. You can google Sural Nerve Flossing and will get youtube vids on how to do it.

Good luck.
2014-01-23 12:35 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

I've had similar issues in the past.  I think it was most likely caused by running too many hills without a significant enough run base.  A PT friend of mine thought it was an aggravated soleus.  It took about 2 weeks of downtime (running) before I could run again...cycling was not affected.  I try to make sure I take shorter, quick steps when I hit a hill now so I don't have the big push-off with my calf.  I found a couple of exercises/stretches that might help:

Seated Calf Raise

Because it’s performed with bent knees, the most effective exercise for targeting your soleus muscle is the seated calf raise. You can perform this exercise at home or at the office. Sit in a chair and place a thick book or other raised surface under the balls of your feet. Lift your heels as high as you can and then lower them so they drop below the level of the book. Aim for at least 25 repetitions. You can place a dumbbell on top of your thighs to make the exercise more challenging.

Soleus Stretch

After performing the seated calf raise, you should stretch your soleus muscles. Stand facing a wall and place your hands flat on the wall. Your elbows should be straight, and your arms should be at the same height as your shoulders. Place your right foot in front of your left foot and bend both knees. Lean into the wall, allowing your elbows to bend. Keep your left heel firmly on the floor. You should feel a stretch in your left calf. To stretch the right soleus, change the position of your legs.

2014-03-24 2:24 PM

Veteran
Richmond, KY
I've had several incidences similar to those listed in this thread. This time last year I had a recurrence of the problem and again went to the Dr and ultimately PT for my problem (I'd been before, having an MRI, X-Ray, and ultrasound with no findings). The Dr wasn't very helpful in diagnosing the issue, but the PT actually found my issue to be related to scar tissue on my soleus and due to repeated injury. She did a lot of Graston massage on them, which was extremely painful, but was very effective at breaking up the scar tissue. After 4 weeks of treatment I was able to complete a marathon without any problems (other than lack of conditioning due to missing 4 weeks of training).

The most helpful thing for me though, was them actually finding the problem and explaining to me how to prevent it. What has been key for me is specifically stretching my soleus. This may sound simple but you have to make sure that you do calf stretches with your knee bent to activate the soleus. Just stretching with a straight leg stretches the main calf muscles but does nothing for your soleus. I've found that just leaving against the wall and stretching them everytime I shower is a very easy way to make sure that I stretch everyday. In the past year I've been able to run injury free for the first time in years.
2014-03-25 11:09 AM
in reply to: tsprks

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Highly recommend having a couple appointments with an ART or Graston practitioner. The culprit can be elusive or seem so unlikely that it makes sense.

My own recent experience, FWIW I'm a multi time Ironman and deeply trained ultra runner: I had so much tightening in my calves during the first 3-4 miles of my runs that it would force me to stop several times to stretch them. It was incredibly frustrating. Got to the point where I was afraid to run. Went to the Dr. and ran l the tests, x-rays etc. nothing. Went to my ART practitioner, was assured I was not injured, did some loosening work followed by an easy week with instructions to really pay attention to when and how the issue presented it self, and to do a mid distance run the day of our appointment. I did as she asked and the next appointment where she asked a bizillion questions. My left calve was worse than the right so she asked if I had ever sprained my RIGHT ankle or knee since it was clear my left leg was taking more of the work. No. But I had broken my femur when I was 3. It all became clear.

My patellar tendons midway up my calves were really tight due to my favoring my right leg by having the left do more work. And since I've had this problem on and off for years it made sense. She then worked the patellars really well and showed me stretches to do to get and keep them loose.

Knowing the problem and how to fix it is priceless. And the cause can be something that has a root far away from the source of angst.
2014-03-25 11:51 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I know your (calf) pain!  I too have suffered from this in the past always the left calf which has given me issues for as long as I can recall now.  Last time it really flared up it took me out of a HM.  After that I saw a PT who was one of the dad's on the kids swim team.  The therapy hurt like heck, no worst than that! But I have not suffered an issue from the soleus since. I was able to continue roller and The Stick work on my own after that and he also gave me some manual massage tips for it. I also see a massage therapist once in awhile to get a top to bottom work over, he does massage and active release therapy.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf pain advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Continued calf pain

Started by Dragonflyer
Views: 697 Posts: 3

2010-03-17 11:58 AM greyg8r

Help: Calf pain

Started by Patti678
Views: 1077 Posts: 7

2010-03-17 3:03 PM Patti678

New shoes - calf/shin pain normal?

Started by sdbryant
Views: 5293 Posts: 7

2008-05-20 3:02 PM Scout7

Calf Pain / Injury Admission

Started by rfergus5
Views: 624 Posts: 2

2005-07-19 10:42 PM isis54

calf pain

Started by [email protected]
Views: 905 Posts: 9

2004-06-18 12:29 AM prince
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started my journey this month to lose weight with a goal of 100 pounds and completing three sprint triathlons. My beginning weight was 321 and it is now down to 307.

date : July 2, 2013
Deep calf pain can be a tricky problem to deal with, and it’s appropriate that you are paying attention to this pain before it becomes a more debilitating injury.
date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : February 14, 2011
comments : 2
From yoga to Crossfit, what strategies can be used to get a groin injury under control for racing?
date : August 5, 2010
comments : 4
Calf pain can have multiple causes. In your case, the most likely cause seems to be from a calf muscle strain. If you have had Achilles problems you can be predisposed to a calf injury.

date : August 22, 2009
I'm experiencing tightness and pain in my calf muscles including my left achilles tendon. The tendons seem to really stiffen when sitting or sleeping. I'm not doing anything new.
date : January 5, 2009
I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.