General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ketosis day 3, lchf diet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-24 9:38 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

Subject: RE: Ketosis day 3, lchf diet
Originally posted by MuscleMomma

Just reread posts, - appreciate all the posts and sharing

I'm keeping it at 25g or less of carbs, and upping the fat a bit to 30%, still mostly protein. Even at 1000/day no weight loss in more than a week. I will hang in there waiting to hit it big with those ketone strips turning color. So far I'm at trace levels.

I'm hanging in there as I have never been able to stick to a 1000 cal/day diet before when I ate more carbs. Plus I know that my body is out of whack and my hugh fat belly tells me I'm insulin resistant.

Trying to even keep the veggies low, supplementing with green capsules.

When I do a little exercise I have a hard time not eating more.
Was hoping to start training March 1, but I know that weight loss will do more for me than another month of hailing my fat a$$ around. So plan is to lose what I can and start training April 1.

This is going to be my year - have survived sprints, this year it will be a respectable sprint and at least surviving an oly!

Mitzi

Start training now. You might feel a bit drained until the ketosis really kicks in, but its a good excuse for Z2 work!

2014-02-25 11:43 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary

Just reread posts, - appreciate all the posts and sharing

I'm keeping it at 25g or less of carbs, and upping the fat a bit to 30%, still mostly protein. Even at 1000/day no weight loss in more than a week. I will hang in there waiting to hit it big with those ketone strips turning color. So far I'm at trace levels.

I'm hanging in there as I have never been able to stick to a 1000 cal/day diet before when I ate more carbs. Plus I know that my body is out of whack and my hugh fat belly tells me I'm insulin resistant.

Trying to even keep the veggies low, supplementing with green capsules.

When I do a little exercise I have a hard time not eating more.
Was hoping to start training March 1, but I know that weight loss will do more for me than another month of hailing my fat a$$ around. So plan is to lose what I can and start training April 1.

This is going to be my year - have survived sprints, this year it will be a respectable sprint and at least surviving an oly!

Mitzi

If you really believe you are insulin resistant then a protein heavy diet is not much better than a carb heavy diet. You still trigger an insulin response.
2014-03-03 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Darren how is your weight loss going?
I've had some slip up days at 1400 cals, though have been sticking to 900-1000 for a few days now, no Quest Bars for three days - am peeing small amounts of ketones, did some lifting and brisk walking and was one pound heavier this morning. Yes I weigh myself every morning, and again after I go to the bathroom, pee...yes crazy.

Am reading the Eating Academy site and just can't wrap my head around unlimited fat. Made such an investment is protein drinks
2014-03-08 12:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Luc,
really got a lot out of the site. His argument that we overeat because we are fat, and I assume out of balance, not the other way around made so much sense to me! When hormones are working properly and you are a healthy weight you probably can start listening to your body to know how much to eat. Can't wait to feel healthy and in shape.

Darren,
Don't be afraid of Quest bars. I don't think you would lose control with them. It's not that you have no will power around sweets, it's that you body has an unhealthy response leading to cravings that are near impossible to control - I know, been there.

A Quest bar is better than having nothing, being tempted and blowing the diet. It has 8gms fat, 3 net grams carb, 17 gms fiber and forgot how much protein - 20 gm? I can have one, enjoy it and not want more and I've gone through the garbage looking for stale candy, so I know what you are talking about. The chocolate chip cookie dough is the only tasty one (I won't touch some of the other flavors that have net carbs up to 6-7 grams).

I've been at a family dinner and cut one up in small pieces, put it on a plate and used my fork to eat it during dessert. Worked like a charm, didn't touch anything else.

Finding that high protein left me not feeling hungry at all. Lowering protein and upping fat has actually left me a little hungry at times, but I ignore it. I'm finding this total sustenance - no fruit, beans, only 4 cups of certain veggies very freeing!! I'm afraid of what will happen when I reintroduce fruit and beans, think I will always have to avoid grains for the most part.

Lost nothing last week, down 2 this week. Disappointed with slow loss but spent years losing nothing so 9.5 lbs in 5-6 weeks is OK. Going to keep this up till end of March when I go to a Tri expo in Boston and start training!

Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2014-03-08 12:27 PM
2014-03-08 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Checked my progress. Went from 162.5 to 159 in a few days and then lost nothing for two weeks. Was doing high protein, low/mod fat and hitting up to 1400 cal occasionally.
Monitor everything, planning my days food on my phone with myfitnesspal. Lowered protein, raised fat, carbs down to 15% and calories from 950-1050.
I never had the willpower to eat such low calories before. I can feel myself becoming carb phobic, but I don't care. This is close to miraculous. Am hoping to lose 2-3 lbs these next three weeks.

When I next cross a tri finish line I will fly through it with a smile on my face, not dragging my fat a$$ over it.

Mitzi
2014-03-08 12:38 PM

I'm out. Can't seem to support my training with it. Dropped 14lbs in two weeks, but lost run fitness dramatically. As soon as I start running, my legs are burning like they're filled with lactic acid, and I've lost minutes off my pace from a month ago. Hard to explain, I'm not winded, but my heart rate is through the roof (180bpm at 12ish pace), last month I'd be down at 160 sub-10.

Good luck to everyone!

2014-03-12 8:51 PM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Yea, once I hit my goal weight I will be adding fruit, more veggies and beans back into my diet with the goal of maintenance.
2014-03-18 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Well am down to 151.5-152, looks like no weight loss this week. 10 lbs in 42 days. It's 10lbs more than I was able to lose in years - must say I should be happy, but I'm not impressed. Amazingly I am actually able to only eat with hungry - can feel hungry vs. constant craving to eat.

Now Luc, I decreased the protein and upped the fat - but not to where you recommended. Really struggling with it but have gotten grams of protein down, fat up. But only to about 44% F, 40% P, 15% C. Peeing on the ketone strips I've been in moderate ketosis for quite a while. Have lost so shouldn't complain, but I will.

Went to lunch with hubbie - Vietnamese. Had seafood with veggies (removing the carrots and corn), no rice or noodles obviously - it was bland so not too much sauce. Nearly out of ketosis today. How can something so precarious be sustainable?

I'll go back to your post about your story. I recall that you have sustained this lifestyle and weight loss for a while.

Mitzi
2014-03-19 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

Well am down to 151.5-152, looks like no weight loss this week. 10 lbs in 42 days. It's 10lbs more than I was able to lose in years - must say I should be happy, but I'm not impressed. Amazingly I am actually able to only eat with hungry - can feel hungry vs. constant craving to eat.

Now Luc, I decreased the protein and upped the fat - but not to where you recommended. Really struggling with it but have gotten grams of protein down, fat up. But only to about 44% F, 40% P, 15% C. Peeing on the ketone strips I've been in moderate ketosis for quite a while. Have lost so shouldn't complain, but I will.

Went to lunch with hubbie - Vietnamese. Had seafood with veggies (removing the carrots and corn), no rice or noodles obviously - it was bland so not too much sauce. Nearly out of ketosis today. How can something so precarious be sustainable?

I'll go back to your post about your story. I recall that you have sustained this lifestyle and weight loss for a while.

Mitzi

In many of my posts, I point out that I am not in Ketosis. I did go into ketosis a few times, but find it too restrictive. After trying every possible way of loosing weight since I was 27, I finally realized that extremes will never work. Which is why I don't follow any extremely restrictive life style.

First, I am not educated in anything related to nutrition. After years of loosing my own "battle of the bulge", I finally found something that works for ME.

I am a low carb eater, and it works great. I have given up all added sugar, process and starchy food. Vegetable oils is now an evil product in my house. The only weakness I still enjoy 3-4 times a week, is bread. I do choose a bread high in fat, proteins and very low carbs. Takes forever to toast. When bacon is on sale, I buy tons that I freeze, eat some 3-4 times a week.

I always eat breakfast, it is my favorite meal of the day. Toats with PB and home made jam or some egg meat recipe. Lunch is mostly snacks, nuts, cheese, olives. Rarely very hungry for lunch.

Dinner is always a medium piece of meat with either a salad or vegetable. The salad almost always has cheese and bacon and I use home made Caesar dressing. The vegetables are covered with butter and salt, I don't eat corn but plenty of carrots. My wife was stunned the first time I told her that I would be happy with just a salad for dinner. Yes it was loaded with bacon and roasted chicken, but still, after years of living with a man who saw salad as improper food for human, she was shocked. I simply am not hungry in the evening. There`s also regularly guacamole keeping company with the meat :-)

Today my dinner will consist of Brussel sprouts, mushrooms, carrots, celery, sweet peppers, onions, pine nuts and bacon fried in olive oil. I fried enough for two plates, and used half a cup of olive oil :-) Delicious and very filling. Once in a while I make a lasagna with carb free tortillas, or chicken pot pie with almond crust. Just to have some variety. I also love a good stir fry.

All this to say, that I found something that works for me and that I can do for the rest of my life. I am lucky, there's a lot of food that I love and can eat, makes it easier to give up the very addictive carbs.

If you were 250 lbs, loosing 10 in 42 days would be depressing. But at 150, you are pretty close to ideal weight, and 10 lbs in a month and a half is pretty darn good. Keep in mind that on low carbs, what you lost was fat, not muscle. On low fat diets, you'd loose a lot of muscles too. If you plan on loosing another 10-15 pounds, what does it matter how long it takes, if it's a lifestyle you can do forever. Better than gaining again, which is what happens to 90% of people who loose weight.

Even Peter Attia in his last blog mentions not staying in Ketosis all the time lately. It is near impossible to keep this life style for ever. Fun to try, but only for short periods. In low carbs, you get most of the benefits of Ketosis, without the stress of worrying about everything you eat.

I don't count calories any more or the % of what I eat. I simply make sure I eat carbs low in calories and since i use a lot of butter and olive oil, I know my fat is high enough.

To have kept Ketosis for this long, you have shown incredible willpower, but willpower can only bring you so far. If you've had enough of Ketosis, it's ok to move on, but I would suggest retaining a low carb diet. One you can enjoy and follow every day for the rest of your life.

Edited by outlandluc 2014-03-19 11:04 AM
2014-03-19 2:12 PM
in reply to: outlandluc

User image

Champion
Calgary
keto month 3

So it has been about 2 months on Keto. How are things you ask? Well when I started I was 218. After the first week on Friday I was 211, I think.

This Monday, after carb up, I was 211. Last Friday I was 202. So It seems I lost about 7-9 lbs. I feel that this is fat. I feel I have put on a bit of muscle as I have increased my stregnth in some areas, especially the squat which has gone from 175 to 195 and the deadlift.

I am very happy about this past carb up weekend. When I started I did the CKD. wow that first weekend, did I eat. Wow. For the first month I did have trouble with binging on the weekend.

Last weekend was the second or third time I went two weeks without a carb up. It was most bizarre this weekend because I went off diet on Friday. I went to a party. There was beer, which I drank. There was also food. One of those foods was a killer tasty cheese dip with super tasty bread. This is my thing. I live off this stuff. I can eat it all.

I didn’t feel like a bite.

Saturday and Sunday were similar. I ate with the family but I really didn’t feel like carbs. When I first started it was all I could do not to eat all the peanut butter sandwiches and all the chips and all the cereal and all the rice. Going off Keto was worse than before I started.

But this weekend, I just had no urge. It wasn’t until Sunday night, when my wife made this tasty rice, that I had more than one portion. I did feel, at that moment, that I could eat all the rice. The cravings came back. The sense of satisfaction from eating returned. The urge to have a full stomach returned.

I really like this lifestyle. I like eating less during the day. I like not feeling hungry. I like having more energy.

I am not convinced it is sustainable or healthy. I rely on a lot of fatty meats and creams to hit my macros. I am optimistic that I am kicking some lifestyle urges in the butt.
2014-05-21 2:25 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
You mention not knowing if this is sustainable.
I know that what I'm doing now is weight-loss level, but believe some degree of low carb is sustainable and healthy - just don't need pasta, rice or sugar.
The experience of being out and not giving into temptation is priceless. Went to a family function and didn't have the pasta or great looking desserts at the buffet. Just told myself that it's not my food. I think that experience can led to the next event where I make good choices, and then the next time... this does matter in the long run.

2014-06-09 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Have you tried UCan for fueling at all on those heavy/intense days? I'm a week and change in and for Saturday's long ride/run brick I fueled with UCan. My legs are still pretty burnt from training load but I felt pretty good on the entire bike, steady energy. 

2015-05-04 7:42 PM

Those keto flu symptoms you're describing are totally normal. If they're actually that bothersome than you can get some ketoshred but it's kinda pricy. It works real well but if you want to, you can just stock up on some chicken broth with the regular amount of sodium.
2015-09-07 12:36 PM

Going to use my first post on this site to extol the virtues of cutting carbs. I began my journey toward weight loss and fitness in late February of this year at age 59. I am between 6' and 6'1" and began at 226 lbs. I had high blood pressure (on medication for control) and am also on a statin drug for control of cholesterol.

I work out 6 days a week, lifting a couple of days and doing some form of cardio (bike or treadmill) 5-6 days a week. While I was a biker and hiker in my younger years I am sorry to say that my beloved mountain bike sat for the last 15 years until I began riding it this summer. Prior to that, it was the spin bike at the gym.

I am now 196-198 lbs. As for how I lost the weight, I simply started exercising and cut the crap out of my diet. I eat meat, veggies, nuts. Very little fruit. Very little dairy (pretty much only feta cheese on salads, and not much of it). How close to a ketogenic diet this puts me, I don't know. I don't count calories or portions. I don't count carbs. I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, starchy vegetables or processed food. I do occasionally eat an ear of corn or some clean popcorn. I eat beans / legumes very rarely. I am not wanting for energy to sustain my workouts. I generally do not walk around hungry. I eat a lot of salads with a piece of fish or meat on them. Breakfast is vegetables and maybe a chicken apple sausage sauteed in olive oil with a couple of eggs fried in grass fed butter or scrambled. I feel like I have more energy and clarity of mind than I have had in decades. On the rare occasion that I have a piece of sourdough bread at a restaurant or something else not generally in my diet I can really feel the effect of the carbs and/or gluten. If I have a downfall it is wine. Daily. I feel that if I gave up the wine at least temporarily I could push through the plateau I am currently at and see how 190# feels. By the way, I will be seeing the doctor soon to get off of the blood pressure and statin medications. My blood pressure is actually LOW at this point.

As has been said in this thread, whether you choose to temporarily go keto for weight loss or sustain it as a life change, there are great benefits to lowering carbs and eating good dietary fats. I may reintroduce more fruit and the very occasional carb treat (a dish containing pasta at a really good restaurant), but my baseline nutrition has changed for life and I don't think I am missing a thing. Being in good health and conquering obesity is much more a priority for me than eating all that junk.

I did my first triathlon last weekend, a sprint. I took 3rd place in my age group, which is now 60-64. I have come a long way since February. I will do sprints and olympics next year and I am signed up for a half Ironman in June. Can't wait! Lots of work ahead of me though...

Edited by HaydenHunter 2015-09-07 12:39 PM
2015-09-14 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
Nice job!

I just started Atkins two weeks ago (I've done it once before and dropped about 25 pounds or so)

I need it... I'm 49 6'0" and about 246 (weigh-in last Friday) and 7-8 years ago I was doing sprint tri's at 204 and doing very respectably

my profile pick was taken at that time and that's my inspiration PIC

Don't know where I let it go but since starting Atkins again I feel more energetic as well as much more clear minded.

Keep up the good work!

I'm hoping to maybe get back to 210?

Edited by maxmattmick 2015-09-14 8:59 AM
2015-09-19 9:13 AM
in reply to: maxmattmick

Good luck, maxmattmick!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ketosis day 3, lchf diet Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Opinions on 17 day diet

Started by Cayenne
Views: 2832 Posts: 3

2011-01-06 6:56 PM jaegee

Training day eating vs Non-Training day

Started by Rencor
Views: 1162 Posts: 4

2006-03-31 11:10 AM coachese

The North Beach Diet

Started by Gatsby
Views: 1369 Posts: 1

2005-01-17 4:17 PM Gatsby

Off Season Diet

Started by daveskar
Views: 1135 Posts: 8

2004-11-29 2:20 AM Katie

Omega/Mediterranean diet?

Started by DulcimerDoc
Views: 923 Posts: 2

2004-09-15 11:49 AM scuba-punk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 5
Is giving into cravings necessarily a bad thing?

date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : December 5, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
The crux of rehab was so simple: “Eat and exercise like your life depended on it.” It seemed to take all the guesswork out of the picture and make things that much easier for me.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on carbohydrate loading leading up to triathlon race day.