General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron training and Weightloss Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-22 5:54 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Half Iron training and Weightloss
Looking for some opinions on longer course training and trying to lose weight at the same time. It's been suggested to me that it is possible. I have also been told they are contradicting goals. Any input would be appreciated.

I'm 5'6" currently around 180lbs. So I have a good 30ish more lbs to lose. I've already gone through a period of Weightloss about 3 years ago. At my heaviest I was 230+. Back then I was doing a lot of Zumba, being meticulous about what I was eating and started tri-training sprint distance. I'm currently 11.5 weeks out from my first half ironman race (70.3 Puerto Rico).

2014-01-24 8:02 AM
in reply to: #4936740

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
Subject: RE: Half Iron training and Weightloss
The rule of thumb is that you can run 2 seconds per mile faster for every pound that you lose. If it's a hilly bike course then you can also take significant time off your bike leg on the climbing segments. No amount of training that you could complete in the next 11 weeks can compare to the speed you stand to gain by losing weight.

However, losing weight while doing endurance training is not easy. For me, the most important rule is to fuel your long workouts properly (before, during, and after the workout). If you try to diet during your workouts, you are going to bonk bigtime, and you'll most likely end up binge eating for the rest of the day.
2014-02-01 8:30 AM
in reply to: missyw2you

User image

My first month of Ironman training consisted primarily of walking long distances. I walked 8.6km a day three times a week. It was a good zone 1 workout and the pounds dropped off.
I combined it with a 24 minute workout every morning 6 days a week. 3 minutes of skipping, then 3 minutes of strength (3 moves, 1 min per move), then 3 more minutes of skipping, then 3 minutes of core abs (3 moves, 1 min per move), and then repeated that whole process for a total of 24 minutes. I had great success shedding extra pounds that I wanted to get rid of before starting the base building period.
2014-02-02 4:27 PM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

It's just a matter of eating carefully.  Going out and doing a 60 mile ride but then sitting down at the hog trough afterwards and consuming 3x the calories you need post-ride won't help out with the weight loss.  Been there, done that.  Many times.  What you need is eating discipline.  Don't eat the junk, or at least severely curtail it.  Cut down easily-downed beverage calories such as soft drinks and fruit juices.  Watch the night time snacking.  And if you haven't already, join in on one of the weight loss threads in that forum.  It's a good place to go for moral support and a little bit of extra incentive to eat well.  Best of luck with your training and race.

2014-02-04 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4937731

User image

New user
Thanks for the replies. My weight has been fluctuating. Im watching my calories but trying not to get too obsessed with the scale
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron training and Weightloss Rss Feed