General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona or Maui for triathlon (road) training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Kona or Maui for triathlon (road) training?
OptionResults
Big Island
Maui

2014-01-26 10:44 PM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
Subject: Kona or Maui for triathlon (road) training?
I will have 3 weeks off in March with my wife to train for our main Ironman race.
I know Big Island where I have been twice and I consider it so far the best spot for triathlon training: great swim activities with a big FREE pool, cycling super safe with good variety of flats for tempo/long rides and climbs for intervals and wide shoulders, nice also for running on all kind of terrains including track.
I have never been to Maui though and I wonder if it can be a good new place where we can train like in Kona and also explore another island in Hawaii. From my research, it seems more for xterra triathlon style than road cycling/triathlon.

Which one would you pick?

2014-01-27 7:22 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Kona or Maui for triathlon (road) training?
You could post this on the Hawaii forum but having been to both islands, I would say Kona. I was disappointed by the cycling options on Maui. However, I had my mother, who's 75 and can no longer handle big hills, with me. There's Haleakala, but that's kind of overkill for a tri. The road to Hana would be beautiful but suicidal. The flat roads seemed to have narrow shoulders and lots of traffic. There is also a big area with cane fields that's extremely dusty and windy. There might be nice areas for some shorter scenic rides or MTB, but it just didn't seem like cycling paradise. Running likewise--lots of traffic in town, didn't find any compelling loops. OWS was nice but water was colder than other islands I've visited, some places has strong currents parallel to shore (fly down, swim treadmill back!) and they seem to have more shark issues there.

I lived in Honolulu for two years and it was a great place for run and swim training--plenty of pools and tracks as well as beautiful road and trail run routes and OWS. The water is a nice temperature for training--as I recall, cooler than the Kona side of Hawaii but warmer than Maui, pretty much year-round. But I'm not sure about biking. People do train there, the road shoulders are usually wide, but there is quite a bit of traffic on the main roads. Just don't know--I didn't even own a bike when I lived there!
2014-01-27 7:52 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Melbourne, Florida

I agree with Hot Runner about the north and east sides of Maui. But Hwy 30 from Maalaea to Honlua Bay is amazing. It only gets busy around Lahaina, but that's a short span. In March you'll be at the tail end of whale season, but will still be able to see some breaches out of Maalaea. Just north of Lahaina it all becomes very scenic. There are wide bike lanes throughout the highway. It's 50 miles up and back (Maalaea-Honoula Bay-Maalaea).

2014-01-27 10:41 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I've been to Maui twice for training. My go to ride was the West Maui loop, a great 90km training loop. It can be ridden clockwise (the usual) or counterclockwise for a bit of variety.

Haelakala is an awesome climb. Really really good training.

Also, I've ridden the East Maui loop. It's about 170km and has some challenging bits.

Anyway, IMO, Maui is the best Island for cycling.

2014-01-27 10:43 AM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

The road to Hana is on the East Maui loop. We rode the route counterclockwise, so we road the road back from Hana to Paia and there were no problems with traffic. The tourist traffic is going quite slow.

2014-01-27 10:45 AM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I've also done ride rides in the center of the Island to Big Beach area and the ride up Iao valley if you are looking for shorter rides.

2014-01-27 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Just don't ride the Kona IM course, that is some of the most boring roads you can have. Climb Muana Kea, ride on the other side in Hilo. Good options on both Islands.

There is another fantastic climb that I am forgetting but it's well known, maybe someone can chime in.
2014-01-27 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I also like Big Island for training, but I wouldn't call it "super safe" for cycling. It's definitely way better than Oahu IMO. But still very busy and crazy drivers to watch out for.

On long rides, make sure you are self sufficient (ie lots of spare tubes) not many places to stop for food/water.

Same for long runs, water was an issue for me. Lots of beach parks there don't have any facilities, or they have been closed.

Can be ridiculously hot. Plan your route and when you go.
2014-01-27 2:22 PM

User image

Why not spend time on both Maui and the Big Island?

3 weeks is a long time, and flights between islands are very short and relatively cheap.  Spend 10 days on the Big Island, then 10 days on Maui.  The flights are only about $80-100 each if you book early, and bike box fees are only $35.  $17 for first two check in luggage, so realistically it only costs you an additional $150-$170 per person to hop to another island and open yourself up to many more experiences.

The flight only takes about 30 minutes from Maui to the Big Island, so realistically you can do a 12 noon checkout, go through all the airport stuff and be at your next hotel, on a different island by 4pm.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona or Maui for triathlon (road) training? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Road to Kona - Balazs Csoke

Started by snappingt
Views: 656 Posts: 1

2013-09-16 2:50 PM snappingt

Fun training spots on Maui and Kaua’i?

Started by kc_racer
Views: 1585 Posts: 19

2012-05-17 7:23 PM theresa_nelson

In regards to the yellow brick road to Kona

Started by crmorton
Views: 1856 Posts: 21

2011-01-13 10:36 AM mrpetey

Vacation training on Maui?

Started by Micawber
Views: 1363 Posts: 13

2009-12-04 11:05 PM losta

Kings Trail Triathlon in Maui

Started by trz
Views: 1265 Posts: 12

2005-06-02 11:06 AM ropkins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : November 12, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.

date : October 20, 2010
author : Coach AJ
We interview several age-groupers pre-race on their Ironman Kona race thoughts.
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.

date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!