General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St. Mary's - where to ride and swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-01 5:27 PM

New user
scotland, Maryland
Subject: St. Mary's - where to ride and swim
Hello Folks, I'm a new transplant to Maryland, and in St. Mary's to be precise. Took a season off to complete some other tasks, now its time to get back to Tri.
I'm looking for some good ride routes and a place to swim where a gym membership isn't required. Where I lived before, I could swim at the local school for $2 per visit, hoping to find something similar. And what are some good routes around here where I wont get slaughtered along the highway....
Any help/insight is appreciated.

2014-02-02 4:31 PM
in reply to: triathlonquitter

User image

Catonsville
Subject: RE: St. Mary's - where to ride and swim
Welcome to Maryland! My son is a recent graduate of St. Mary's College. During my many visits I took advantage of biking in Southern Maryland. The shoulders are wide, and the roads are biker friendly. The motorists are used to us. The ride to the Point is awesome! Check out the Pax Velo Cycling Club. They should know of plenty of routes. In September of each year they sponsor the St. Mary's Century which is a great ride! I believe there is a Tri Club on the Naval Base you may want to check out. They have weekly open water swims in the summer. There is a beautiful Swim Center in Calvert County about 15 miles North of the bridge on Route 4. I used to stop there on my way to St. Mary's for a swim. The cost is $5 but you can get a 10 visit pass for less. I hope this helps.
2014-02-02 6:14 PM
in reply to: triathlonquitter

Hey there! Welcome to SMC! There is a ton of good riding here. Where in the county are you located? I am central. I like to ride in Piney Point, Point Lookout, California, Leonardtown, St. Mary's City...our shoulders are pretty wide here.

Great Mills Pool offers $3 lap swim. M, W, F they open at 6AM. T/Th they open at 8am I think. You cannot beat that.
2014-02-02 6:44 PM
in reply to: aawathen

New user
scotland, Maryland
I appreciate the info, and the swim at great mills sounds like a good possibility. I was just out exploring more of the county today and went all the way down to point lookout, st. inigoes, and st. Mary's city, all of which were gorgeous. there is definitely going to be some great rides down here. im going to be located in the western part of the county (7th district).
keep me in mind when the weather gets nicer and anyone wants a riding partner, im always up for company on the road.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St. Mary's - where to ride and swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St Patrick's Day Pub Run

Started by SCamp07
Views: 1476 Posts: 5

2010-03-09 12:15 PM jsiegs

ST. John the Jogger 5k

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 1786 Posts: 4

2010-02-25 1:20 PM turtlegirl

Baltimore mary and HM -- meet up ?

Started by trishie
Views: 1407 Posts: 16

2009-10-09 6:17 PM jcnipper

Princeton Sports Tuesday night rides

Started by md10909
Views: 1167 Posts: 3

2008-06-17 7:49 PM noony

Group Ride in October - Harford County

Started by econway
Views: 998 Posts: 2

2008-03-20 8:39 PM SCamp07
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : January 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on St. A's training, diet, strength training during the winter, tri/road bike training, swollen feet, swimming strategy and spinning for IM's.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.