General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another newbie triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-02 6:25 AM

Subject: Another newbie triathlon
Hi everyone,

I am Julie, just turned 30 and completed my first half marathon in October
Unfortunately stopped training since (getting married..moving country ..jobs..anyway you see !) but just got back in the swing and needed a great new challenge !

I have been thinking about tri for a while and hoping to do my first tri this year (2014).
I don't know how to swing free style so i have work to do ! trying trying…

Also a little concern about how the transitions work but i guess i still have time to research it

Hoping to do the `my first triathlon` on June 15 in Orlando…if work allows me! if not one later

Have a nice day

Julie

Edited by JuliaH 2014-02-02 6:31 AM

2014-02-04 10:33 AM
in reply to: JuliaH

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Another newbie triathlon

Welcome!  You have plenty of time for a sprint in June.  You do have to get going on swimming now though.  The 10 week minisprint plan has a good swim section in it to start if you are completely new.  You can blend it with the bike and run of one of our other sprint plans.  Technically if you still have a decent running base from the marathon, all you need to do is maintain what you want to do with running (at least 30 minutes runs), do a bike once or twice a week and work on that swimming 3-4 times per week and you should be ready come June.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Here is another beginner swim program:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1945

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=755 

2014-02-05 8:05 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

You have plenty of time to do a sprint in June.  I would suggest a few swim lessons to learn the freestyle stroke and that will also help you build a foundation for good form.  Good luck to you!

2014-02-05 7:52 PM

User image

Julie: I could offer you advice but I am only about a week more senior to you in this forum. I just wanted to jump in and welcome you because I am no longer the newest newbie.

For what its worth - I think you are underestimating yourself. If you are already a marathon runner, the sprint will be no big deal. Its just a matter of getting in the water and on the bike. But cardiovascularly, mental courage and strength, knowing how to set goals and train, you are already there. Good luck and welcome to the team.

John
2014-02-07 11:59 AM
in reply to: John_Griffin

Good day all, and thank you so much for your messages !!

I did take my first swimming lesson few days ago..and trying to practice every day…when i can

I don't go fast..just trying to focus on the right move to learn the proper way…but it was only my first lesson..next is in a few days !!

I am only 1/2 marathoner and have stopped for a while but my come back to working out this week was hard but I love it. Missed it actually !

I used to do spinning classes 2-3 times a week..but my current club does not have any so..i hope to find one in the next few weeks with some.

Would you advise me to buy a road bike?

anyway..swimming is really my weakest point ..so lets keep working on it ! i am not too sure i will have my time off work in June but I am training as if i am going ! so lets see

if anyone new wants to keep sharing workout and experiences please let me know

thank you again all

Julie
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another newbie triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello hello :)

Started by abrandel
Views: 1518 Posts: 5

2011-07-07 8:53 AM tylerhatcher

Hello hello

Started by malraid