General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-09 8:03 AM

Subject: First Tri Bike
I think it goes without saying that because I'm here, I'm a beginner triathlete. I am looking into buying my first tri bike and am a little at a loss about what to look for.

I've stumbled upon a 2005 QR Tequillo which is around what I'm comfortable paying. I have no idea what I need to look for or ask as far as components or if what they're asking is really a fair price.

Again it's my first bike so I'm not looking to spend a ton of money and get all the bells and whistles. I just want something that I can ride that isn't a huffy.

If anyone has any suggestion, I'm more than open.

I'm also not entirely sure of the size I would need. I'm 6'2" and pretty leggy. The local bike store said that I would probably need a 60, but the bike that I've found is a 58 and from what I've read other places that should be fine as well.

THANKS!

2014-02-09 8:31 AM
in reply to: MicahSLamb

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: First Tri Bike
Originally posted by MicahSLamb

I'm also not entirely sure of the size I would need. I'm 6'2" and pretty leggy. The local bike store said that I would probably need a 60, but the bike that I've found is a 58 and from what I've read other places that should be fine as well.

There's no standard as to what the size denomination means, so a 58 from one brand may fit similar to a 56 from another, 60 from a 3rd, large from a 4th, XL from a 5th, etc. Even if you look at the geometry chart, it's still not that simple… you have 4 common but very different ways of measure, center-to-center, center-to-top, center-to-virtual point and virtual point-to-virtual point. So even if two bikes show for example a 58cm top tube, they may be quite different in actual length…

Get a bike fit first and THEN start looking for bikes that fit YOU.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

first tri-bike.

Started by tyrant
Views: 1171 Posts: 11

2005-07-04 10:58 AM BellinghamSpence

And the search begins for my first tri bike

Started by cobannero
Views: 1198 Posts: 6

2005-02-17 2:06 PM Machiavelo

first tri, bike ?

Started by nrsmdwf
Views: 1062 Posts: 9

2005-01-07 1:09 AM auto208562

just bought my first tri bike!

Started by trixie
Views: 1712 Posts: 22

2005-01-09 10:57 AM daveskar

first tri bike...Cannondale multi 1000, carvelo

Started by Buzzyman
Views: 1653 Posts: 17

2004-10-29 6:58 AM trixie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
I am in the process of buying my first tri bike. Because of my size my fitter suggested buying a custom frame but then I have an infinite number of choices for components, wheels, aerobars, etc.
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.