General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss tips.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-11 3:35 AM

Subject: Weight loss tips..
Hi,

somebody tell me about weight loss tips, exercise or diet?

2014-04-10 7:31 AM
in reply to: williamdolas26

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Weight loss tips..
Weight loss isn't just about taking in less than what you burn. Timing of fueling (i.e. pre-workout, post-workout) are just as important to what you are eating.
2014-04-13 12:05 AM
in reply to: parrj

My personal experience verified by my Doctor. Weight loss is 90% diet and 10% excersise. Last year I started doing tris and couldn't swim, couldn't run and couldn't ride over 35 miles. 6 months later I did a 70.3. No weight loss from training, NONE. Started eating 5 small meals a day and dropped 20 pounds in short order. As stated before, more calories out than calories inDOES NOT equal lost weight always.
2014-04-13 12:09 AM
in reply to: respro

I'm still searching for that magic bullet. 284 now. Heaviest I've ever weighed. I thought extreme endurance training would make the weight fall off. I was wrong.
2014-04-14 11:30 AM
in reply to: respro

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I've had great success losing with a very low carb diet. 25 or less carbs/day. Rest of cal. split between fat and protein. The only thing that allowed me to cut my calories, used to be too hungry and out of control with food. Cravings are gone.

5'1" and dropped 18lbs. in two months. 10 lbs. from normal range. The trick will be adding just enough carbs to maintain but not put weight back on. We shall see.
Now that I'm training I didn't do anything different until I hit one hour - then have a clementine or a bite of a higher carb bar, adds about 10g of carbs. So far so good.

Mitzi
2014-06-03 10:06 AM

User image

Cary, North Carolina
As others said it's not always about maximizing the delta between your calories consumed and calories burnt. Often time people who are training for endurance events do not lose weight because they do not eat to match their training. If you are going to train more you need to eat more. It can feel very counter intuitive at first but it works.

2014-06-10 10:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Manchester, Connecticut

I have found that low carb works for me. It impacts my training, but I have recovered from that. I started out lowering my carb intake to about 75-100g of carbs a day and that helped, but when i went to below 30g of carbs a day I noticed more loss with exercise. I'm staying in dietary ketosis for as long as I can, 3 weeks so far. A couple of months ago I was ~275lbs now I'm at 252 and still dropping. I started at Mark's Daily Apple website and did a lot or research on low carb and  the cycling ketosis diet (CKD) and decided to stay in ketosis as long as I need to lose weight. Take a look at the ketosis thread in the Nutritional Café section of the forum. Good luck.

Edited by jbman 2014-06-10 10:36 AM
2014-06-11 1:39 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Losing weight is taking in fewer calories than your body burns off (those who say it's not always about that are always wrong--or, more accurately, trying to describe that what/how you eat can effect what you burn and that 'calories out' is not some static number for your body even in the absence of exercise).  Exercise can help increase the calories that you burn, but what you take in is FAR more impactful.  It is easy to say 'eat less' and, usually, there is nothing wrong with the statement.  But as you will hear from many people, figuring out how to eat less than you burn is not always simple because many other factors come into play (cravings, your body's reaction to starting to eat less--often burning less, etc.).  There are hundreds (probably thousands) of diets.  All will have worked for some and not for others.  The best advice I can give is to find some kind of diet that you can live with every day for the rest of your life.  Hopefully, this includes a balance of nutrients (keeps things simple and does not require any kind of supplementation), but if certain foods 'don't work' for you for some reason then try to avoid them.

I believe being 'healthy' requires a balance of diet and exercise.  But, as far as absolute weight loss, diet will be the dominant factor.

2014-06-11 2:30 PM
in reply to: jbman

User image

I, too, have been doing the low carb deal. I started with South Beach and then morphed it a little after Phase 2 as I started training for my tri. I started at 247, down to 222 now. I have included a lot of strength training as well so I can actually see muscle replacing fat and looking and feeling slimmer even as my rate of loss has slowed down. I would suggest the low carb to most people trying to lose weight. That coupled with the exercise.
2014-07-03 2:49 AM

Hey i have a same problem of weight. My daily life is badly effected due to increase in weight. I have become really lazy please need you suggestions badly!
2014-07-13 9:29 PM

User image

Regular
Don't diet. Diets are temporary. Make small, but steady life changes.

I weighed 250 lbs 6 years ago. With a gradual weight loss over the years. I am down to 185 now. My philosophy has been mindful eating and slowly eliminating/mitigating the bad foods (sodas, fried foods, processed foods, high sugary foods, etc) and adding better foods (fruits, vegetables, lean protein). Start eating better foods and your body will crave these better foods...trust me Also, I like to eat 5 to 6 meals a day with protein at each meal. I have increased my water consumption as well. With all this being said, I will still enjoy pizza, burgers, Indian food, and thai food..just in moderation!

When it comes to workouts and eating...I am still learning. But, pre and post-workout nutrition is very important for me. I can't let myself get starving, or I have a tendency to binge on bad stuff.

Todd

2014-07-15 11:12 PM

Calories in and calories out are a guessing game sometimes. I recently had a body fat test done, and found out so much information. I am getting a RMR (resting metabolic rate) test done soon because I find that "guessing" how much your body needs is quite different from what we give our body. Often we either don't eat enough to fuel our body, or we eat more than we think we need.

Often people under eat and leave their body in a malnourished stated, an that can lead to over eating.

Have you checked into getting an RMR, then counting calories based on that and adding in exercise. It's about $100, but a valuable tool if you are trying to loose weight. The calculators on the internet are often wrong, as we are all made up of different amounts of fat/muscle, which effect how much we burn.
2014-07-16 6:44 AM
in reply to: snickers10_1

User image

I agree that weight loss is mostly diet. When my ex walked out I lost almost 35 pounds. I was still running but I was not eating. My weight has creeped back up to a point where I am going back to journalling what I eat and when. I want to reach a point where I look healthy AND feel healthy. I have a wedding coming up and I would like to look a little slimmer for it, but I will settle for toned. It's all about your perception. I have talked to my doctor and he told me to continue what I am doing and planning on doing but to remember that numbers aren't the whole story.
2014-07-20 6:47 PM

User image

Tucson, AZ, Arizona

Portion control..........

2014-07-21 11:17 PM
in reply to: carolinario

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Portion control works if I don't eat foods that trigger cravings.

I don't buy the idea that a diet has to be something you do for life. I do not want to lose weight forever! The issue becomes not going back to old habits. I plan on excluding pasta, rice and potatoes forever, but when I hit my goal weight I will work on adding in carbs where I maintain the new weight.
Have actually been doing this though I'd like to lose another 5-6 lbs. Having plain oatmeal before a workout and plain greek yogurt and berries after. really enjoying berries and clemintines!
Might even try having 1/2 cup of beans for the carbs - eating them one at a time.

Missing out on training the last 4 months has been worth it. Last year I was running up to three miles at 12, 12:30 min/miles. The other day I ran 5.5 miles in under an hour and felt great.

Mitzi
2014-08-11 5:20 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

I have tried everything but not able to lose a single pound, just don't know how to deal with it.

2014-08-14 11:09 AM
in reply to: septicdrainer2t4 

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by septicdrainer2t4 

I have tried everything but not able to lose a single pound, just don't know how to deal with it.

If you interested and have the time try doing a through/section hike (Appalachian, Pacific Crest, or ??). I love getting out in the woods, and having to carry/plan what you are going to eat helps. Obviously if you only eat snickers the entire time it won't help, but if you plan out your meals you have no other options but to stick with that. Don't expect massive weight loss for 10-20 mile weekend hikes, but my Aunt did the whole thing and she couldn't pack enough calories to keep the weight on. Just be careful about over doing it when you get back :D
2014-08-17 1:55 PM
in reply to: ettringite23

Veteran
Ohio
Originally posted by ettringite23

Don't diet. Diets are temporary. Make small, but steady life changes.

I weighed 250 lbs 6 years ago. With a gradual weight loss over the years. I am down to 185 now. My philosophy has been mindful eating and slowly eliminating/mitigating the bad foods (sodas, fried foods, processed foods, high sugary foods, etc) and adding better foods (fruits, vegetables, lean protein). Start eating better foods and your body will crave these better foods...trust me Also, I like to eat 5 to 6 meals a day with protein at each meal. I have increased my water consumption as well. With all this being said, I will still enjoy pizza, burgers, Indian food, and thai food..just in moderation!

When it comes to workouts and eating...I am still learning. But, pre and post-workout nutrition is very important for me. I can't let myself get starving, or I have a tendency to binge on bad stuff.

Todd

Lots of good posts, but this one matches my efforts most closely. Went from 212 to 155 in about 8 months.

The one thing not mentioned, but I think is THE most important.

Firstly you have to BELIEVE you can do it. I hear so many people say "well, I'd like to lose XX pounds". Well I can tell you that until you are COMMITED to it, and BELIEVE you can do it, it wont happen.
2014-08-17 1:57 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

Veteran
Ohio
Originally posted by MuscleMomma

Portion control works if I don't eat foods that trigger cravings.

I don't buy the idea that a diet has to be something you do for life. I do not want to lose weight forever! The issue becomes not going back to old habits. I plan on excluding pasta, rice and potatoes forever, but when I hit my goal weight I will work on adding in carbs where I maintain the new weight.
Have actually been doing this though I'd like to lose another 5-6 lbs. Having plain oatmeal before a workout and plain greek yogurt and berries after. really enjoying berries and clemintines!
Might even try having 1/2 cup of beans for the carbs - eating them one at a time.

Missing out on training the last 4 months has been worth it. Last year I was running up to three miles at 12, 12:30 min/miles. The other day I ran 5.5 miles in under an hour and felt great.

Mitzi

I understand your point about not excluding things forever...but I will say, and others I have talked to agee, is that it is harder to keep the weight off than it is to lose it. Don't let yourself fall into that trap.
2014-09-18 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4947565

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Scientific proven that logging your meals helps you loose weight.
2014-09-19 12:08 PM
in reply to: Martine1975

User image

Brooklyn, New York
For years as a trainer the only people who succeeded at weight loss never approached anything just to lose weight, because that sole purpose results in a return to former weight at some point.

Come to a decision (mentally AND EMOTIONALLY) that your entire lifestyle will be new and your journey begins. Side effect of that journey?......Better health, including adipose (fat) weight loss, among the many other benefits.

"tips for weight loss" waaaaaaaaaaay too general and dependent on many factors (and don't work in any permanent way without a lifestyle in place)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss tips.. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

weight loss slowing, but weight moving around in a good way

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1459 Posts: 4

2010-11-19 10:26 AM tlpina

weight loss and muscle loss

Started by damienmalone
Views: 1093 Posts: 6

2006-12-15 5:25 PM elektra

Weight Loss vs Weight Training

Started by Clintjc1
Views: 3461 Posts: 20

2014-08-08 3:22 PM capp16

Fat loss, not weight loss

Started by pds0006
Views: 1214 Posts: 3

2005-08-30 11:28 AM TH3_FRB

Weight loss tips

Started by joeinco
Views: 4125 Posts: 24

2015-08-17 8:10 PM buck1400
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : November 28, 2004
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?