General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting NYC, seeking running routes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-11 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Subject: Visiting NYC, seeking running routes
I'll be in NYC this weekend and am looking for some running routes (6-10 miles, I usually do out and backs). We're staying at the Omni Berkshire Place in Midtown East. Central Park seems like a no-brainer, but are there particular routes in the park, or a best spot to enter the park? I'm not at all familiar with NYC -- have been there multiple times for short work trips, but never just for fun.

2014-02-11 3:01 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Visiting NYC, seeking running routes
Originally posted by meggfishy

I'll be in NYC this weekend and am looking for some running routes (6-10 miles, I usually do out and backs). We're staying at the Omni Berkshire Place in Midtown East. Central Park seems like a no-brainer, but are there particular routes in the park, or a best spot to enter the park? I'm not at all familiar with NYC -- have been there multiple times for short work trips, but never just for fun.

I live just outside of NYC, but was staying in the city for a week last year and ran by the reservoir and loved it. I was staying on the west side and entered the park at Columbus Circle, took West Drive up to the reservoir and did laps, then back in the same way.

You can do basically the same thing, only entering the park on the east side (at 59th and 5th, which is right by the Apple Store and the Plaza Hotel). Looks like from that hotel it is two miles to the reservoir up 5th avenue and then East drive, so that will give you plenty of options in terms of planning a route or how much time you want to spend at the reservoir if you decide to go up there.

Here's a map of Central Park running routes.

http://www.centralpark.com/usr/maps/CentralParkRunningMap.pdf
2014-02-12 9:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
The second best place to run while in NYC is the West Side Highway path. But that's mid town west. On the east side there is also a path that takes you all the way up to the 90s. You should be able to grab it somewhere in the mid 30s. Just run all the way east and look for the path. If you hit water, you've gone too far.
That said, the NYC area is expecting almost 1 foot of snow tomorrow (Thursday) and the likelihood that either path gets a shovel or plow is very low.

But if you are going to run to the park, just run up 5 th ave. that'll get you to the park.

Edited by louamerica 2014-02-12 9:31 AM
2014-02-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY

Edited by louamerica 2014-02-12 9:30 AM
2014-02-12 11:00 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Originally posted by braciole

I live just outside of NYC, but was staying in the city for a week last year and ran by the reservoir and loved it. I was staying on the west side and entered the park at Columbus Circle, took West Drive up to the reservoir and did laps, then back in the same way.

You can do basically the same thing, only entering the park on the east side (at 59th and 5th, which is right by the Apple Store and the Plaza Hotel). Looks like from that hotel it is two miles to the reservoir up 5th avenue and then East drive, so that will give you plenty of options in terms of planning a route or how much time you want to spend at the reservoir if you decide to go up there.

Here's a map of Central Park running routes.

http://www.centralpark.com/usr/maps/CentralParkRunningMap.pdf

Yeaaaaaah, I was going to ask if Central Park gets plowed.
2014-02-12 2:37 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

New user

Yeaaaaaah, I was going to ask if Central Park gets plowed.

I don't know . . . . not sure how that'll turn out for you. It looks good now, including all the secondary paths etc. (I have a good view of the park from my office), and the heavy snow is supposed to be over tomorrow. They'll need to plow for traffic on Friday, so that will help you out. I don't know what else they do on weekends. Good luck.

2014-02-14 6:22 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
they plow and salt the main central park loop (6 miles0, but stay away from the reservior. its a mess when there is snow or ice. the westside bike path will probably be plowed too but you'll have to get through alot of muck to get there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting NYC, seeking running routes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

NYC Bike Routes

Started by mnbrickx
Views: 965 Posts: 4

2013-04-15 9:11 PM mnbrickx

Visiting NYC Next Week -- Where to Run (or get Pizza)?

Started by windandsurf
Views: 1238 Posts: 12

2011-11-28 3:00 PM windandsurf

Coming to visit...Any ideas for a run???

Started by miami9296
Views: 1183 Posts: 7

2011-08-10 6:47 PM katieduffy

Running Clubs in NYC

Started by ering305
Views: 1150 Posts: 3

2009-07-14 9:35 AM jmk-brooklyn

Bike routes, NYC

Started by jjhall
Views: 684 Posts: 2

2007-04-27 10:18 AM tryemdad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.
date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation
date : October 10, 2004
author : Team BT
The ONLY way to compete in my first triathlon was to do it on my BMX. I’m no professional—nor do I aspire to be one, I just want to be fit and healthy.

date : October 3, 2004
author : adumey
One of my fears, besides the radioactive material content of the Hudson River, was the water temperature. I found the water was much warmer as I inched closer to the holding dock.