General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jay Benson kickoff and local races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-11 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: Jay Benson kickoff and local races

So with the impending Jay Benson kickoff I thought I'd see what everyone thinks of the race options this year. I'm trying to stick with local races this year but it's looking like City of Lakes will be the only OWS!

I think Rio Grande is April 26 but it's a two-directions-in-one-lane swim. No thanks

Spring Fling is April 27th and it's at UNM this year. Mark says it'll be a serpentine swim with one direction per lane so I'm thinking about that one. Anyone know if he still does manual timing?

Of course, Jay Benson is May 11 but the route is a big secret so I won't know about the swim or the route without going to the kick-off, so I guess I'm going.

I think City of Lakes is June 28. It has a sprint and an Oly with the Oly swim being two laps of the sprint (I think).

And for us ladies in the group... Live Love Tri finally got the message and changed the swim YAY!!!

I think Andie Talmadge is doing Las Campanas and Patriot again this year. Hers are usually S/B/R with a seeded pool swim.

Looks like we've got slim pickins for local races this year

Any others that look interesting?

2014-02-13 2:08 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Veteran
Subject: RE: Jay Benson kickoff and local races
It appears my usual go to sites don't have schedules posted at this time. I don't have access to Facebook right now but perhaps they've moved over there. Sites I have used in the past for schedules are:

Socorro Riders and Striders
Southwest Challenge Series
Trifind.com

between those sites I usually had a pretty good idea of what was happening when but like I said the first two don't have anything up. The SW Challenge series website has even lost its domain name last I checked so I don't know if it will even be around this year.

If you find a good schedule somewhere be sure to post it here please. I am still slowly progressing in my injury rehab. My long run is up to 3 miles with a bit of discomfort so not race ready yet. I hope to be racing this year but don't know if it will be mid or late season.
2014-02-13 2:13 PM
in reply to: trinity

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I went to the kickoff and ended up signing up for JB. It is there usual R/B/S and its a 50 meter pool, one direction per lane. The bike route spends a lot of time on Central which could be scary but they said they "thought" they'd have a lane blocked off for us.

I also spoke to the Chili Harvest Tri folks. Theirs is August 9 and they have it listed on NMSportsonline

2014-02-14 10:19 AM

Veteran
Thanks for the update. How was the turn out for the kickoff?
2014-02-28 4:20 PM

User image

Socorro, NM
My suggestion is to add the Socorro Chile Harvest Tri to your schedule this year. Because Cochiti and Elephant man aren't happening the Chile fills a nice hole for early fall/late summer. Plus, it is the Regional Championships this year, which is awesome!
2014-03-04 1:13 PM
in reply to: NMTrier

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by NMTrier My suggestion is to add the Socorro Chile Harvest Tri to your schedule this year. Because Cochiti and Elephant man aren't happening the Chile fills a nice hole for early fall/late summer. Plus, it is the Regional Championships this year, which is awesome!

That one is on my list

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jay Benson kickoff and local races Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jay Benson KickOff tonight (2/28/13)

Started by rrrunner
Views: 514 Posts: 1

2013-02-28 11:41 AM rrrunner

Jay Benson Early Registration Tonight (02/28/11)

Started by RockTractor
Views: 2363 Posts: 12

2012-03-22 9:10 AM abqtj

2010 Jay Benson Results?

Started by RockTractor
Views: 3125 Posts: 5

2010-05-13 11:47 PM ahunter1989

Jay Benson-Anyone??

Started by jenjenski
Views: 1311 Posts: 2

2008-04-28 9:05 PM desertsix

Jay Benson

Started by lobo
Views: 1319 Posts: 11

2006-05-13 9:46 PM ABQkid
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : September 16, 2010
author : PatriciaDawn
comments : 3
I decided that completing a triathlon would be the perfect celebration of reaching my goal and losing 83% of my excess body weight by dropping 230 pounds.
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!