United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 10s
Overall Rank = 93/1108
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/60
Pre-race routine:

PB and honey. Getting ready was easy with the race start nearby.
Event warmup:

Encouraged by experienced friends, I went for an easy 1 mile run to get the legs working.
Run
  • 1h 39m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

For my first HM, I felt clueless about the basics like how the pace should feel, how fast I could go, and what my time would be. My only strategy was to chase my highly experienced friend Tim, like I've done for the past few races. It worked again. I hung on Tim's heels until about mile 9, when he urged me to pull ahead. He kept close enough and won his age group by 6 or so minutes. I finished with another friend, Mark, who'd hung with us the entire race, and we both exceeded our expectations when we saw 1:39 on the timing clock.

Tim made me work a lot, but I still had energy in the tank at the finish, and felt good the entire time. We saw a lot of friends on the route cheering us on, on relay teams, fellow competitors, and friends along the course.

The vibe was great anyway, but it was a special experience to see so many friends in and supporting the race.

My tri and running buddies are now forcing me to admit that I'm a runner, and that''s okay ;)
What would you do differently?:

Ha. Not much, this way exceeded my expectations. If I did it over, I'd try to pace off of a friend who had three minutes on me, but I don't have any regrets about this, my first ever HM.
Post race
Warm down:

I was in solid shape, and was supporting other finishers within a few seconds. I eventually grazed the snacks and hydration.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only experience. I was a complete rookie going into this. The next 70.3 will be a great run, and I'll have a good idea about what to do and what to expect.

Event comments:

The water stations were perfect, there were a lot of volunteers, and I was easily able to get Gatorade, water to splash on my jersey and drink, and even a gel. The course has a lot of turns, and isn't pancake flat, but is pretty and fun through Las Palmas and the Movie Colony. I'd do it again in the morning if I could ;)

Results

Last updated: 2013-10-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:10 | 13.1 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/60
Overall: 93/1108
Performance: Good
Course: Through the neighborhoods of Palm Sprigs.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-02-12 11:59 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: Palm Springs Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Palm Springs Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Palm Springs Half Marathon

Started by jackson61802
Views: 1518 Posts: 1

2011-02-13 9:00 PM jackson61802

Started by Scottt
Views: 976 Posts: 1

2010-02-14 8:15 PM Scottt

Started by Daddio493
Views: 1424 Posts: 1

2009-03-09 3:55 PM Daddio493

Palm Springs half marathon

Started by Scottt
Views: 1171 Posts: 1

2009-02-16 12:04 AM Scottt

Marathon of the Palm Beaches Half Marathon

Started by IRONDOGUSA
Views: 827 Posts: 1

2007-12-02 7:52 PM IRONDOGUSA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.