General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local Politician: No one 'should ever ride a bicycle' in his county Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-13 12:21 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Local Politician: No one 'should ever ride a bicycle' in his county
Local story, but I thought it would be of general interest here.

A High School student whose mother was injured in a cycling accident wrote to his legislator asking for help to make biking safer and got the response in the subject line.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/legis-thomas-barraga-no-...

2014-02-13 12:22 PM
in reply to: braciole

Master
Memphis, TN
Subject: RE: Local Politician: No one 'should ever ride a bicycle' in his county
Originally posted by braciole

Local story, but I thought it would be of general interest here.

A High School student whose mother was injured in a cycling accident wrote to his legislator asking for help to make biking safer and got the response in the subject line.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/legis-thomas-barraga-no-...

I saw this earlier today. What a piece of work this guy is...it's like telling a store owner in a rough neighborhood he deserves to be robbed because of where his store is.
2014-02-13 1:04 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Subject: RE: Local Politician: No one 'should ever ride a bicycle' in his county
[email protected]

Even though I don't live anywhere near there, I'm planning on sending an email.
2014-02-13 1:05 PM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Wow, just wow.
2014-02-13 1:09 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Pro

I don't know anyhting about that county.....but I know a few places where I wouldn't ride a bike.

2014-02-13 1:25 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Melbourne, Florida

They should coordinate a critical mass to ride by his house and office. Once the snow melts.

2014-02-13 1:32 PM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Is he seriously suggesting no one ride a bike in the entire eastern half of Long Island or is that a different county?

Wow. Just wow.
2014-02-13 1:56 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by Left Brain

I don't know anyhting about that county.....but I know a few places where I wouldn't ride a bike.

I do too, but I also know a lot of places that I SHOULD be able to ride, but wouldn't. I think that is the bigger picture here. Making it safer in places that aren't currently conducive to bikes. Why do we insist on working super hard to pass legislation to force car makers to make more economical cars, but we don't encourage people to ride bikes? The more people you get biking, the more aware people will be of cyclists and the better people are about planning the development of areas to facilitate bike use, and the better the area facilitates bike use the more people will ride, and I think we see the spiraling nature of the situation.

How hard would it have been to say "You know what, it's scary to ride a bike in my county. It's also downright dangerous, as your mother's accident proves. Driver's here don't expect to see bikes, so cyclists are more likely to encounter dangerous situations. I'd like to see something happen to really facilitate the healthy activities of running and cycling in my county, and I'm open to legislation that makes our county safer for everybody on the road."???????
2014-02-13 2:01 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Danno77

I do too, but I also know a lot of places that I SHOULD be able to ride, but wouldn't. I think that is the bigger picture here. Making it safer in places that aren't currently conducive to bikes. Why do we insist on working super hard to pass legislation to force car makers to make more economical cars, but we don't encourage people to ride bikes? The more people you get biking, the more aware people will be of cyclists and the better people are about planning the development of areas to facilitate bike use, and the better the area facilitates bike use the more people will ride, and I think we see the spiraling nature of the situation. How hard would it have been to say "You know what, it's scary to ride a bike in my county. It's also downright dangerous, as your mother's accident proves. Driver's here don't expect to see bikes, so cyclists are more likely to encounter dangerous situations. I'd like to see something happen to really facilitate the healthy activities of running and cycling in my county, and I'm open to legislation that makes our county safer for everybody on the road."???????

I have come to grips with the idea that quite a few people......maybe even the majority of people, don't give a rats arse about exercise or "healthy activities".

2014-02-13 2:04 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL

I have come to grips with the idea that quite a few people......maybe even the majority of people, don't give a rats arse about exercise or "healthy activities".

So true. I'm still surprised to hear a politician say so, though.
2014-02-13 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I take his respose as don't ride in this county because it's not safe. Not don't ride a bike at all.

2014-02-13 2:17 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by GAUG3

I take his respose as don't ride in this county because it's not safe. Not don't ride a bike at all.

That's how I took it, too, but he says it like "Duh, it's life that drivers are reckless and oh, well!"

How would you like it if a politician responded to a pollution complaint letter with "Well, there are a lot of nasty factories spewing carcinigens so just get used to it" or responding to litter complaint with "Drivers just like to throw mcdonald's bags out of the window, C'est la vie" or responding to high crime rates with "really, you shouldn't park your car anywhere in my county because your wheels will be stolen, but whatdoyado?!?!?"

It's the fact that this guy throws his hands up and instead of trying to fix a problem (poor driving habits, poor road design, etc) he tells this kid to give up and let the bad guys win. I do NOT agree with that.
2014-02-13 3:34 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

New user
Originally posted by MechEChick

Is he seriously suggesting no one ride a bike in the entire eastern half of Long Island or is that a different county?

Wow. Just wow.

Yup, that's the county.

It's very nice. It includes Montauk, and the Hamptons, and Fire Island and lots of other nice places to ride a bike, and hosts more than a few very good triathlons. Has a water park and outlet malls and a wine country too. There are places there where I wouldn't ride my bike too, but if the guy's point is "wise up you're taking your like in your hands when you get on a bike because drivers are reckless and there's nothing anyone can do about it," even if that's true it's not the official position I'd want my elected official to have. And the letter is a terribly unfortunate way to convey that message.
2014-02-14 2:34 PM

User image

STFU, stay indoors, play video games and eat your corn chips like a real American, dammit!
2014-02-14 3:40 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by braciole
Originally posted by MechEChick Is he seriously suggesting no one ride a bike in the entire eastern half of Long Island or is that a different county? Wow. Just wow.
Yup, that's the county.

It's very nice. It includes Montauk, and the Hamptons, and Fire Island and lots of other nice places to ride a bike, and hosts more than a few very good triathlons. Has a water park and outlet malls and a wine country too. There are places there where I wouldn't ride my bike too, but if the guy's point is "wise up you're taking your like in your hands when you get on a bike because drivers are reckless and there's nothing anyone can do about it," even if that's true it's not the official position I'd want my elected official to have. And the letter is a terribly unfortunate way to convey that message.

I agree.....thanks for the geography lesson!

2014-02-14 3:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

what an ! (i said a*s*s*h*a*t)

Edited by fnkyhd 2014-02-14 3:48 PM

2014-02-14 3:52 PM
in reply to: fnkyhd

User image

Sensei
Sin City

If 90% of riders are getting hit by cars, they probably SHOULDN"T be riding bikes or motorcycles.

They must have the worst drivers in America if they are that reckless.  THAT should be their focus.  Fixing the driver issues if they only miss 1 out of 10 riders...

2014-02-14 4:59 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Sylvania, Ga
What an idiot. Cars are involved in every automobile accident. Ban cars.
2014-02-14 6:26 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

New user
Originally posted by Kido

They must have the worst drivers in America if they are that reckless. 

Definitely in the top four among the worst, along with Nassau, Kings, and Queens.
2014-02-15 5:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

Originally posted by Danno77

I do too, but I also know a lot of places that I SHOULD be able to ride, but wouldn't. I think that is the bigger picture here. Making it safer in places that aren't currently conducive to bikes. Why do we insist on working super hard to pass legislation to force car makers to make more economical cars, but we don't encourage people to ride bikes? The more people you get biking, the more aware people will be of cyclists and the better people are about planning the development of areas to facilitate bike use, and the better the area facilitates bike use the more people will ride, and I think we see the spiraling nature of the situation. How hard would it have been to say "You know what, it's scary to ride a bike in my county. It's also downright dangerous, as your mother's accident proves. Driver's here don't expect to see bikes, so cyclists are more likely to encounter dangerous situations. I'd like to see something happen to really facilitate the healthy activities of running and cycling in my county, and I'm open to legislation that makes our county safer for everybody on the road."???????

I'm not a fan of the whole "Obama Care" deal but from what I've gathered at least from where I work is that if you are fat/smoke/unhealthy habits you will have to pay more in heath insurance.  A substantial amount is what it's sounding like.  I mean everyone is paying more now too though...hmmm

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local Politician: No one 'should ever ride a bicycle' in his county Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best bicycle for sale add. Ever

Started by kocourek
Views: 1729 Posts: 8

2012-07-22 10:39 PM lakelandsledder

You ever have one of those rides....

Started by WelshinPhilly
Views: 742 Posts: 7

2009-08-11 12:45 PM marq

One Got Fat 1963 Bicycle Safety Exploitation Film

Started by KIELBASA
Views: 941 Posts: 3

2024-03-04 2:02 AM Melissa2k

I've read the bicycle passing rule - but one thing's still not clear

Started by Wolfgate
Views: 1484 Posts: 14

2008-06-17 11:09 AM JohnnyKay

One Fast Politician

Started by eberulf
Views: 759 Posts: 4

2007-10-09 2:02 PM steveseer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.