General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Correcting your running form? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-17 2:48 PM

User image

, Colorado
Subject: Correcting your running form?
Here's the background for my question: I have an injury I just can't seem to ditch, it always finds its way back. It goes away relatively fast, but sooner or later it comes back. Therefore, my only thought is that it has to do with my running form. I've been told I have the strength, just not the flexibility. I have been told I have the flexibility, not the strength. I've been told many things and I've consistently worked on strengthening and flexifying (that should be a word) everything I can but to no real solution.

So here's my question:

Will proper running form (I suppose proper anything form) come naturally with having the necessary strength and flexibility? Or, will it take a constant conscious effort of focusing on it?

Most recently I had a run analysis and was told I have weak hips, and strengthening them would naturally give me proper form. Weeks of strengthening later with no improvement, unless there is something else I haven't considered, I am having doubts with his advice.

2014-02-17 2:54 PM
in reply to: MarkPalm

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Correcting your running form?

Do these drills.   Do them slowly and deliberately at first, and work your way to faster over time (months).......and do them religiously. Warm up a bit first, and run easy afterwards.  You will be amazed at what they can do for your running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhzzpZVMtl4

2014-02-17 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by MarkPalm

Most recently I had a run analysis and was told I have weak hips, and strengthening them would naturally give me proper form. Weeks of strengthening later with no improvement, unless there is something else I haven't considered, I am having doubts with his advice.

This seems to be something a lot of runners struggle with. What injury are you dealing with? Is it in your hips?
2014-02-17 3:24 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

, Colorado
Originally posted by Left Brain

Do these drills.   Do them slowly and deliberately at first, and work your way to faster over time (months).......and do them religiously. Warm up a bit first, and run easy afterwards.  You will be amazed at what they can do for your running.

Thanks, I'll give these a shot. How often do you do them?

Originally posted by MechEChick

This seems to be something a lot of runners struggle with. What injury are you dealing with? Is it in your hips?

Yes, I was told it was my abductor by the doctor, tendinitis by the physical therapist, and my TFL by the running analyst. I experience pain just above my left quadricep, kind of wherer my leg starts. It's almost always a sharp pain and hurts when lifting my knee up and out/in/forward or during the run (after about 3 miles) when my left leg is at it's farthest point "back" and starting to push off to go forward (same for walking afterwards. Foam rolling/strengthening/stretching make it disappear temporarily.

Sorry for the overload of information, I don't want to detract from my original question and make this seem like it belongs in the injury section. I was told if I can't make improvements to get an MRI so I will be doing that this week.
2014-02-17 3:33 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Thanks, I'll give these a shot. How often do you do them?
Originally posted by MechEChick This seems to be something a lot of runners struggle with. What injury are you dealing with? Is it in your hips?
Yes, I was told it was my abductor by the doctor, tendinitis by the physical therapist, and my TFL by the running analyst. I experience pain just above my left quadricep, kind of wherer my leg starts. It's almost always a sharp pain and hurts when lifting my knee up and out/in/forward or during the run (after about 3 miles) when my left leg is at it's farthest point "back" and starting to push off to go forward (same for walking afterwards. Foam rolling/strengthening/stretching make it disappear temporarily. Sorry for the overload of information, I don't want to detract from my original question and make this seem like it belongs in the injury section. I was told if I can't make improvements to get an MRI so I will be doing that this week.

Every time you run.  You can also do them as a "cool down" after a bike workout. 

2014-02-17 11:32 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Here's the background for my question: I have an injury I just can't seem to ditch, it always finds its way back. It goes away relatively fast, but sooner or later it comes back. Therefore, my only thought is that it has to do with my running form. I've been told I have the strength, just not the flexibility. I have been told I have the flexibility, not the strength. I've been told many things and I've consistently worked on strengthening and flexifying (that should be a word) everything I can but to no real solution.

So here's my question:

Will proper running form (I suppose proper anything form) come naturally with having the necessary strength and flexibility? Or, will it take a constant conscious effort of focusing on it?

Impossible to say what will fix your issues, but if you have a chronic tendonosis, this maybe a very dificult issue to get rid of. Certainly working on improving your run economy will always help.

I give these drills to all my athletes and do them myself at least weekly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZKA2-Sb0Tk

The other video posted also has good drills.

2014-02-17 11:33 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
More favorites> I do these just prior to a run, or on inbetween run days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLrKr54yA0
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Correcting your running form? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Correcting swim form - what has worked for you? Pages: 1 2

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 1691 Posts: 26

2012-05-23 8:24 AM Sous

Need help with my Running Form

Started by runnerx
Views: 890 Posts: 3

2005-11-10 12:17 PM us50090

running form help

Started by Redhead
Views: 905 Posts: 8

2004-07-21 2:54 PM jasmine

running form

Started by COgirl
Views: 777 Posts: 4

2004-05-12 3:34 PM MJS

Running form, the Pose Running method (Learn To RunTM )

Started by DRM
Views: 1649 Posts: 8

2004-04-09 7:29 PM meanman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.

date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
comments : 0
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.
date : August 22, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions regarding running form and blisters.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Don Magie
A better bike is not the answer to meeting your performance goals. I mean if you gave Nike running shoes to a tortoise would he move any faster?
date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!

date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.