Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Paint sprayers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-21 10:43 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: Paint sprayers?

Anyone have a recommendation for an airless paint sprayer they like or things to look for when buying?  Most of the projects would be smallish (a couple of rooms, kitchen cabinets), though I might tackle spraying/staining our deck which is ~2000sq, ft.

I have never sprayed before. Do you roll the ceiling, cut in your walls, then spray down from the cut in?

School me, please :)

2014-02-21 11:16 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Paint sprayers?

I always shop around for those every time I want to do a couple rooms, but decide against it.  Generally just the Weber ones that you can plug in instead of run off a compressor (unless you have one?).

I generally fall back to a paint stick.  I have one for rolling and edge work - it's remarkably efficient and for one room at a time, I just settle on that (ceilings too).

The deck however, maybe more suited for a sprayer.

Have you looked into renting one?  I believe my local mega hardware stores (Lowes/Home Depot) rents them.

2014-02-21 11:31 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Kido

I always shop around for those every time I want to do a couple rooms, but decide against it.  Generally just the Weber ones that you can plug in instead of run off a compressor (unless you have one?).

I generally fall back to a paint stick.  I have one for rolling and edge work - it's remarkably efficient and for one room at a time, I just settle on that (ceilings too).

The deck however, maybe more suited for a sprayer.

Have you looked into renting one?  I believe my local mega hardware stores (Lowes/Home Depot) rents them.

All good points.

I have never used a "Paint Stick".  That sounds like it could be good for ceilings.  God, I hate painting ceilings. 

My local place rents them, but it's kinda spendy per pop, and we have just bought a rental that is going to need some work.  Between that and our home, there are a number of projects and potential upkeep.  I do have a compressor.  I also *might* have a tool problem :)

I'm pretty decent with a roller and brush, but there are just some things (cabinets, doors, trim, bookcases) that I'm not good enough with a brush to do. 

2014-02-21 11:59 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Google PaintStick (one word).  You suck a bunch of paint up in the handle of the roller and can do huge portions of the wall at one time (instead of rolling in the pan for half the time).

There is one for edge work too.  Suck up a couple cups of paint and it "injects" through the brush and you can do 20-30' of edge work in one shot.  Great for ceiling/wall joints.  Don't have to climb up and down a ladder or bring a can of paint up just to brush 6" at a time.  If you get the right touch, you can almost do it in on lone continuous swipe.

2014-02-21 4:47 PM

New user
Yorkville, IL
It will really depend on the type of end finish quality you are looking for as to what type of sprayer to use.

The airless sprayers are great for covering large areas quickly, but the finish will be poor if you are wanting to spray cabinets or furnature or cars etc.. where you want a nice smooth glossy finish.

Air powered sprayers are great for a fine finish but not as good for large areas like walls or your deck.

for indoor use on walls, the airless work pretty well as they generally dont produce a huge amount of oversray (fine mist that will collect on everything and once dry will be difficult to remove) and as a plus they are fairly inexpensive.
If spraying interior walls, I would probably shoot the walls first, then come back and edge and roll the ceilings as the spray doesn't tend to get much overspray on ceiling surfaces and there is a lot less masking to do.There will still be overspray though so you need to be super careful to cover everything you dont want to be painted.

I have a wagner power painter and it has proven pretty reliable, easy to use and clean, and does a good job on walls inside and out.

Never tried the paint stick, but I do have the roller version where you fill the handle then squeeze a lever to keep the roller wet. It works really good. Might be the same but I cant recall the name of the one I have.

Air powered sprayers come in 2 versions, regular suction feed with the paint cup on the bottom, and HVLP with the paint cup on the top. You can get cheaper vesions of either and each has its own quirks and operation to get good results. You will also need a good pressure regulator and a air line dryer to make sure there's no moisture in the final product as that will ruin your finish. You kind of get what you pay for here though as the lower cost versions are ok but not great. These take a bit more maintenance and care in cleaning too to keep them operating properly. Suction feed is generally easier for first time user to set up and get spraying with good results but will produce more overspray. HVLP can be finicky but produces a ton less overspray if that is a concern. You usually need at least a 3 1/2 horse compressor for good spraying.
My 2 cents and hope this helps you some. And you can never have too many tools
Happy Painting!!
2014-02-22 11:47 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Kido

Google PaintStick (one word).  You suck a bunch of paint up in the handle of the roller and can do huge portions of the wall at one time (instead of rolling in the pan for half the time).

There is one for edge work too.  Suck up a couple cups of paint and it "injects" through the brush and you can do 20-30' of edge work in one shot.  Great for ceiling/wall joints.  Don't have to climb up and down a ladder or bring a can of paint up just to brush 6" at a time.  If you get the right touch, you can almost do it in on lone continuous swipe.

Thanks for the rec, Kido.  That sounds pretty cool.

2014-02-22 11:55 AM
in reply to: Red2sbr

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Red2sbr It will really depend on the type of end finish quality you are looking for as to what type of sprayer to use. The airless sprayers are great for covering large areas quickly, but the finish will be poor if you are wanting to spray cabinets or furnature or cars etc.. where you want a nice smooth glossy finish. Air powered sprayers are great for a fine finish but not as good for large areas like walls or your deck. for indoor use on walls, the airless work pretty well as they generally dont produce a huge amount of oversray (fine mist that will collect on everything and once dry will be difficult to remove) and as a plus they are fairly inexpensive. If spraying interior walls, I would probably shoot the walls first, then come back and edge and roll the ceilings as the spray doesn't tend to get much overspray on ceiling surfaces and there is a lot less masking to do.There will still be overspray though so you need to be super careful to cover everything you dont want to be painted. I have a wagner power painter and it has proven pretty reliable, easy to use and clean, and does a good job on walls inside and out. Never tried the paint stick, but I do have the roller version where you fill the handle then squeeze a lever to keep the roller wet. It works really good. Might be the same but I cant recall the name of the one I have. Air powered sprayers come in 2 versions, regular suction feed with the paint cup on the bottom, and HVLP with the paint cup on the top. You can get cheaper vesions of either and each has its own quirks and operation to get good results. You will also need a good pressure regulator and a air line dryer to make sure there's no moisture in the final product as that will ruin your finish. You kind of get what you pay for here though as the lower cost versions are ok but not great. These take a bit more maintenance and care in cleaning too to keep them operating properly. Suction feed is generally easier for first time user to set up and get spraying with good results but will produce more overspray. HVLP can be finicky but produces a ton less overspray if that is a concern. You usually need at least a 3 1/2 horse compressor for good spraying. My 2 cents and hope this helps you some. And you can never have too many tools :) Happy Painting!!

Thanks for the great, informative post. 

So, you're basically recommending three tools???  PaintStick thingy, airless, and air powered?  Ow, ow, stop twisting my arm! ;)

I don't mind rolling/brushing a room, I just can't get the kinda coverage I want on kitchen cabinets with my brush skills.  I think a few months ago Powerman was talking about how his Dad could paint a car with a flawless finish with a brush.  So awesome.

Sadly, not in my skill set.  And I'm picky.  I would see every single brush stroke in the cabinet and it would bug me.  That's really the main thing I want it for.  So maybe I'll explore the air powered sprayers more. 

Thanks again for your input :)

2014-02-22 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
As a painting contractor for several years, I use a Graco 395. It's comparable to a Titan 440? I think. It is Graco's low end pump and can be purchased at your local Sherwin Williams store for around $900. It is 100 times any pump you'll find at the Home improvement store and will last you a lifetime. This is everything you need for interior/exterior siding, walls, cabinets, decks, etc.

The problem we have is how to use it. I have spent the better part of 10 yrs. using mine. It takes some training, and might be a bear unless you have researched proper spray techniques, back rolling, clean up, maintenance, etc.

I always spray ceilings first, then cut in walls with a brush, and spray down towards floor so no overspray gets on ceilings. Make sure you only cut in one wall at a time, or the paint will dry and if your using any kind of sheen in your paint, you'll see the overlap in the cut edge. I can cut in a 10-15 foot wall without the paint drying, then go back and spray and backroll the wall without the cut in drying. As you spray a 4-6 foot section of wall, you backroll over that section to ensure even coat. Then you continue on with the wall in this fashion, always spraying down towards floor when near the ceiling (4 feet or more) This has been a technique I've used for the better part of my contracting experience. Just remember, if you don't want overspray on it, best use visqueen (plastic) and tape and paper to cover it. A masking machine is really helpful in this.

You can also spray the cabinets in place with this sprayer and control the volume of paint with a smaller fine finish tip (311, or 411) and simply turn the pressure (PSI) down on the pump to a little over half. You probably want to remove the doors and spray outside.

These pumps can be rented also for something like $50/day and are easily the best pump on the market for residential re-paint/ new construction. More bang for the buck.
2014-02-23 6:28 AM

User image

Master
Beijing
Originally posted by switch

Anyone have a recommendation for an airless paint sprayer they like or things to look for when buying?  Most of the projects would be smallish (a couple of rooms, kitchen cabinets), though I might tackle spraying/staining our deck which is ~2000sq, ft.

I have never sprayed before. Do you roll the ceiling, cut in your walls, then spray down from the cut in?

School me, please

To give you an idea about the depths to which I hate painting: I will hire out painting. It's basically the only job I will hire out. That said: I bought a Wagner Power Painter to paint the exterior of our first house. It was 150 year old brick (intended to be painted, so it was ROUGH on the outside) and spraying it was the only way to go, IMHO. The Wagner was a good choice.I lent it to my buddy, who did a fence with it. We were both pleased with the performance. Be prepared, the "innards" have a few wear parts that need to be replaced rather frequently. No matter what you buy: KEEP MINERAL SPIRITS HANDY, AND CLEAN EVERYTHING EVERY TIME YOU USE IT. Once these things get all gummed up, you're done. Done, I say. The guys who painted our new house: Sprayed the ceiling, then sprayed the millwork. Then they cut in everything else and rollered the walls. They did a great job. I love that the millwork was sprayed and therefore showed no brush work. Good luck. I hate painting. HATE IT.
2014-02-24 10:35 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by kevinbe As a painting contractor for several years, I use a Graco 395. It's comparable to a Titan 440? I think. It is Graco's low end pump and can be purchased at your local Sherwin Williams store for around $900. It is 100 times any pump you'll find at the Home improvement store and will last you a lifetime. This is everything you need for interior/exterior siding, walls, cabinets, decks, etc. The problem we have is how to use it. I have spent the better part of 10 yrs. using mine. It takes some training, and might be a bear unless you have researched proper spray techniques, back rolling, clean up, maintenance, etc. I always spray ceilings first, then cut in walls with a brush, and spray down towards floor so no overspray gets on ceilings. Make sure you only cut in one wall at a time, or the paint will dry and if your using any kind of sheen in your paint, you'll see the overlap in the cut edge. I can cut in a 10-15 foot wall without the paint drying, then go back and spray and backroll the wall without the cut in drying. As you spray a 4-6 foot section of wall, you backroll over that section to ensure even coat. Then you continue on with the wall in this fashion, always spraying down towards floor when near the ceiling (4 feet or more) This has been a technique I've used for the better part of my contracting experience. Just remember, if you don't want overspray on it, best use visqueen (plastic) and tape and paper to cover it. A masking machine is really helpful in this. You can also spray the cabinets in place with this sprayer and control the volume of paint with a smaller fine finish tip (311, or 411) and simply turn the pressure (PSI) down on the pump to a little over half. You probably want to remove the doors and spray outside. These pumps can be rented also for something like $50/day and are easily the best pump on the market for residential re-paint/ new construction. More bang for the buck.

Thanks for your post.  I imagine there is a decent learning curve for getting it just right.  it might be a good idea to rent one for a weekend and see if it's something I think  I'll be able to manage before laying out the cash. 

It's nice to know that one tool could handle all of what I would want to do.  A "masking machine"?  I don't know if this means I shouldn't even think about owning a sprayer, but I've never even heard about a "masking machine". :)

2014-02-24 10:40 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by moondawg14

To give you an idea about the depths to which I hate painting: I will hire out painting. It's basically the only job I will hire out. That said: I bought a Wagner Power Painter to paint the exterior of our first house. It was 150 year old brick (intended to be painted, so it was ROUGH on the outside) and spraying it was the only way to go, IMHO. The Wagner was a good choice.I lent it to my buddy, who did a fence with it. We were both pleased with the performance. Be prepared, the "innards" have a few wear parts that need to be replaced rather frequently. No matter what you buy: KEEP MINERAL SPIRITS HANDY, AND CLEAN EVERYTHING EVERY TIME YOU USE IT. Once these things get all gummed up, you're done. Done, I say. The guys who painted our new house: Sprayed the ceiling, then sprayed the millwork. Then they cut in everything else and rollered the walls. They did a great job. I love that the millwork was sprayed and therefore showed no brush work. Good luck. I hate painting. HATE IT.

Really?  This surprises me a bit, Ryan.  I just assumed you like all things like this :)  Doesn't have enough mechanical bits for you?

I like painting, actually.

Not painted. Painted.  Kinda gratifying in that way.  How many things in life are straightforward like that? :)

I just don't like it when I suck.  I suck with trim and cabinets. 

I'll post an update when I give it a go.

2014-02-24 2:25 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

We had a sprayer for painting a shed, which you really need for that kind of porous siding.  It was the kind that used an air compressor.

So, we thought we were really smart and would use it to paint the bedroom.  After taking the time to tape EVERYTHING (trim, ceiling light, etc), suit up ourselves, we may as well just have painted with a roller.  Oh, and then you have to finish with a roller anyway.   My takeaway from that nightmare was that unless you have enough projects to do to really learn it well, it's just simply easier to paint the old fashioned way. 

2014-02-24 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member

Originally posted by kevinbe As a painting contractor for several years, I use a Graco 395. It's comparable to a Titan 440? I think. It is Graco's low end pump and can be purchased at your local Sherwin Williams store for around $900. It is 100 times any pump you'll find at the Home improvement store and will last you a lifetime. This is everything you need for interior/exterior siding, walls, cabinets, decks, etc. The problem we have is how to use it. I have spent the better part of 10 yrs. using mine. It takes some training, and might be a bear unless you have researched proper spray techniques, back rolling, clean up, maintenance, etc. I always spray ceilings first, then cut in walls with a brush, and spray down towards floor so no overspray gets on ceilings. Make sure you only cut in one wall at a time, or the paint will dry and if your using any kind of sheen in your paint, you'll see the overlap in the cut edge. I can cut in a 10-15 foot wall without the paint drying, then go back and spray and backroll the wall without the cut in drying. As you spray a 4-6 foot section of wall, you backroll over that section to ensure even coat. Then you continue on with the wall in this fashion, always spraying down towards floor when near the ceiling (4 feet or more) This has been a technique I've used for the better part of my contracting experience. Just remember, if you don't want overspray on it, best use visqueen (plastic) and tape and paper to cover it. A masking machine is really helpful in this. You can also spray the cabinets in place with this sprayer and control the volume of paint with a smaller fine finish tip (311, or 411) and simply turn the pressure (PSI) down on the pump to a little over half. You probably want to remove the doors and spray outside. These pumps can be rented also for something like $50/day and are easily the best pump on the market for residential re-paint/ new construction. More bang for the buck.

Thanks for your post.  I imagine there is a decent learning curve for getting it just right.  it might be a good idea to rent one for a weekend and see if it's something I think  I'll be able to manage before laying out the cash. 

It's nice to know that one tool could handle all of what I would want to do.  A "masking machine"?  I don't know if this means I shouldn't even think about owning a sprayer, but I've never even heard about a "masking machine".

I did painting for 2 summers, and was pretty good at it. The spraying takes more than a couple of hours to learn - best to practice on exterior siding (stain) or fences. No way I'd do interior first - it's nit-picky like drywall mudding and mistakes suck inside.

I'll pay a pro to spray all the ceilings and if I had an entire unfurnished house to paint I'd pay as well. If I was doing siding or fences, I'd rent the big proper unit mentioned above and do it myself. One or two rooms, or decks I'll paint myself with a brush/roller. I just did my new oak windows with a brush and you cannot see any brush marks (stain is easier for that than paint). But even paint you can use those foam rollers and get almost perfect finish - that's what I use on front doors.

Better to learn to cut with a brush and use no tape. That helps SO much for residential painting.
2014-02-24 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

School me, please

Really?  This surprises me a bit, Ryan.  I just assumed you like all things like this   Doesn't have enough mechanical bits for you?

Not painted. Painted.  Kinda gratifying in that way.  How many things in life are straightforward like that?

It's boring, tedious, and when you're done, the wall is painted (just like it was before) but with a different color.  I don't go in much for "oh, that's a pretty color" so in the end... I did a whole bunch of work and got NO benefit. 

That, and I pretty much suck at it. 

Will go 2x on the advice above about learning to cut with a brush.   Huge time-saver, and much less frustrating than peeling back your tape and seeing that paint ran under it.  ugh.  Or peeling back your tape, and watching the paint come off with it. 

2014-02-24 6:11 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Really?  This surprises me a bit, Ryan.  I just assumed you like all things like this :)  Doesn't have enough mechanical bits for you?

Not painted. Painted.  Kinda gratifying in that way.  How many things in life are straightforward like that? :)

It's boring, tedious, and when you're done, the wall is painted (just like it was before) but with a different color.  I don't go in much for "oh, that's a pretty color" so in the end... I did a whole bunch of work and got NO benefit. 

Will go 2x on the advice above about learning to cut with a brush.   Huge time-saver, and much less frustrating than peeling back your tape and seeing that paint ran under it.  ugh.  Or peeling back your tape, and watching the paint come off with it. 

Not into the color change thing, huh?  OK, I get that. 

Yes, yes, I already cut with a brush.  I'm pretty good at that part.  Nice lines as long as I have a decent angled brush. 

It's just the cabinet/trim thing, and then I thought if I had the sprayer and it was faster/better I could use it on other stuff.  This thread almost has me talked out of even trying it, and just paying someone else to repaint cabinets when I "need" it.

I would just get wood cabinets (we're having to replace the ones in our kitchen as they were one of the things that got ruined when our pipes burst), but our house is so open and there's already so much wood.  I need to break it up a bit. 

But you probably don't care much about stuff like that either;)  Your wife made all those decisions when you built, didn't she?

2014-02-24 10:52 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

School me, please

Really?  This surprises me a bit, Ryan.  I just assumed you like all things like this   Doesn't have enough mechanical bits for you?

Not painted. Painted.  Kinda gratifying in that way.  How many things in life are straightforward like that?

Yes, yes, I already cut with a brush.  I'm pretty good at that part.  Nice lines as long as I have a decent angled brush. 

It's just the cabinet/trim thing, and then I thought if I had the sprayer and it was faster/better I could use it on other stuff.  This thread almost has me talked out of even trying it, and just paying someone else to repaint cabinets when I "need" it.

I would just get wood cabinets (we're having to replace the ones in our kitchen as they were one of the things that got ruined when our pipes burst), but our house is so open and there's already so much wood.  I need to break it up a bit. 

But you probably don't care much about stuff like that either  Your wife made all those decisions when you built, didn't she?

Your pipes burst?  I must have missed that post (if there was one.) So incredibly sorry to hear that!   Ugh.  

And I *do* care about what color things are ... .initially.   I just lack any initiative whatsoever to ever change that color, once it's installed. :^)  

2014-02-25 8:45 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

But you probably don't care much about stuff like that either;)  Your wife made all those decisions when you built, didn't she?

Your pipes burst?  I must have missed that post (if there was one.) So incredibly sorry to hear that!   Ugh.  

And I *do* care about what color things are ... .initially.   I just lack any initiative whatsoever to ever change that color, once it's installed. :^)  

Yeah, walked into the house after being in Australia and was met with standing water on all three floors.  They're estimating we're going to be out for 9-12 months, but repairs haven't even started as the whole south side of the house has to come off and be rebuilt (siding, insulation, porch soffit, etc.) and they can't do that while it's this cold, and they don't want to start on interior stuff until they know the extent of the exterior damage.   It's a bit of a clusterfuk, which is all complicated by the fact that we have so many salvaged materials in the house. 

Kinda hard to come up with >100year old, true dimensional lumber for exposed joists, wide plank flooring and posts and beams, and though I think my adjuster is doing his best, I don't think he's worked on a project with materials like this before.

You might find this cool, though.  Did you know they can "dry ice blast" water damage out of wood?  Crazy process, but can get rid of water stains in many instances.  I'm learning about lots of stuff like that, so that's an "up" side to this whole thing :)

2014-02-25 3:39 PM

New user
Yorkville, IL
Yeah, walked into the house after being in Australia and was met with standing water on all three floors.  They're estimating we're going to be out for 9-12 months, but repairs haven't even started as the whole south side of the house has to come off and be rebuilt (siding, insulation, porch soffit, etc.) and they can't do that while it's this cold, and they don't want to start on interior stuff until they know the extent of the exterior damage.   It's a bit of a clusterfuk, which is all complicated by the fact that we have so many salvaged materials in the house. 

Kinda hard to come up with >100year old, true dimensional lumber for exposed joists, wide plank flooring and posts and beams, and though I think my adjuster is doing his best, I don't think he's worked on a project with materials like this before.

You might find this cool, though.  Did you know they can "dry ice blast" water damage out of wood?  Crazy process, but can get rid of water stains in many instances.  I'm learning about lots of stuff like that, so that's an "up" side to this whole thing

Sorry to hear you had such extensive damage!
That sounds terrible, and finding replacements for one of a kind stuff has to be tough to say the least.
I just saw a show recently where they were using the dry ice blasting to clean and restore wood. It was really cool! The blaster grinds the ice pellets to make the grit and once the blasting is done, all the ice residue evaporates away since it is just frozen CO2. Really neat looking. The finished product looked like fresh new wood when they were done. Pretty amazing stuff! as someone who has done a lot of sandblasting, I totally want one of those machines as cleaning up piles and piles of sandy grit is no fun. And I swear sand will find a way into every place it has no business being!
At any rate, best of luck with your projects.
2014-02-25 5:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Red2sbr Yeah, walked into the house after being in Australia and was met with standing water on all three floors.  They're estimating we're going to be out for 9-12 months, but repairs haven't even started as the whole south side of the house has to come off and be rebuilt (siding, insulation, porch soffit, etc.) and they can't do that while it's this cold, and they don't want to start on interior stuff until they know the extent of the exterior damage.   It's a bit of a clusterfuk, which is all complicated by the fact that we have so many salvaged materials in the house. 

You might find this cool, though.  Did you know they can "dry ice blast" water damage out of wood?  Crazy process, but can get rid of water stains in many instances.  I'm learning about lots of stuff like that, so that's an "up" side to this whole thing :)

Sorry to hear you had such extensive damage! :( That sounds terrible, and finding replacements for one of a kind stuff has to be tough to say the least. I just saw a show recently where they were using the dry ice blasting to clean and restore wood. It was really cool! The blaster grinds the ice pellets to make the grit and once the blasting is done, all the ice residue evaporates away since it is just frozen CO2. Really neat looking. The finished product looked like fresh new wood when they were done. Pretty amazing stuff! as someone who has done a lot of sandblasting, I totally want one of those machines as cleaning up piles and piles of sandy grit is no fun. And I swear sand will find a way into every place it has no business being! At any rate, best of luck with your projects.

So, I'm a little concerned about the bolded part, though it makes perfect sense.  It is literally taking away a thin layer of the wood? Just like sand blasting without the cleanup?  Our house is a converted barn and the posts and beans that get treated like that won't look like the rest, I'm afraid.  Wouldn't necessarily be a big deal except that the whole main floor is open, and all of those are exposed.  If they don't look the same it will be weird.

Hmm. Maybe that won't work for us afterall.  Still is a cool application for dry ice though:)

And as someone who had to cleanup after having the interior plastered (two coats with sanding between, over stucco), I imagine sandblasting cleanup would suck. Every. Single. Crevice.

Edited to try to fix quotes = fail

Edited by switch 2014-02-25 5:49 PM
2014-02-25 5:55 PM

New user
Yorkville, IL

Originally posted by Red2sbr Yeah, walked into the house after being in Australia and was met with standing water on all three floors.  They're estimating we're going to be out for 9-12 months, but repairs haven't even started as the whole south side of the house has to come off and be rebuilt (siding, insulation, porch soffit, etc.) and they can't do that while it's this cold, and they don't want to start on interior stuff until they know the extent of the exterior damage.   It's a bit of a clusterfuk, which is all complicated by the fact that we have so many salvaged materials in the house. 

You might find this cool, though.  Did you know they can "dry ice blast" water damage out of wood?  Crazy process, but can get rid of water stains in many instances.  I'm learning about lots of stuff like that, so that's an "up" side to this whole thing

Sorry to hear you had such extensive damage! That sounds terrible, and finding replacements for one of a kind stuff has to be tough to say the least. I just saw a show recently where they were using the dry ice blasting to clean and restore wood. It was really cool! The blaster grinds the ice pellets to make the grit and once the blasting is done, all the ice residue evaporates away since it is just frozen CO2. Really neat looking. The finished product looked like fresh new wood when they were done. Pretty amazing stuff! as someone who has done a lot of sandblasting, I totally want one of those machines as cleaning up piles and piles of sandy grit is no fun. And I swear sand will find a way into every place it has no business being! At any rate, best of luck with your projects.

Thanks

So, I'm a little concerned about the bolded part, though it makes perfect sense.  It is literally taking away a thin layer of the wood? Just like sand blasting without the cleanup?  Our house is a converted barn and the posts and beans that get treated like that won't look like the rest, I'm afraid.  Wouldn't necessarily be a big deal except that the whole main floor is open, and all of those are exposed.  If they don't look the same it will be weird.

Hmm. Maybe that won't work for us afterall.  Still is a cool application for dry ice though

And as someone who had to cleanup after having the interior plastered (two coats with sanding between, over stucco), I imagine sandblasting cleanup would suck. Every. Single. Crevice.

I'm sure if they use any technique to remove the water stain, they will also be removing the finish as well. That is not to say though that they could not replicate the finish? I'm sure there are ways to restore the depth and color of aged wood. I suppose it would depend on what type of stain and top coats have been used to treat the wood, or if it is just natural age and oils? Hard to put a century of character back just the way it was but modern stuff goes a long way to matching what is existing I would think.
It sounds like a really cool place!
2014-02-25 6:21 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

School me, please

But you probably don't care much about stuff like that either  Your wife made all those decisions when you built, didn't she?

Oh Elesa.   I'm so sorry.   I know that must be heart-wrenching.  

I saw them use the dry ice technique on "Holmes on Homes" one time.   They were using it to remove mold from the wood in a house that some renters had converted into a grow house.   Did you know that a Marijuana plant can "breathe" up to 500mL of water every day?   There were 300 plants in this house when it was busted.  The ventilation was all into the attic.  So yeah, there was some mold! 

The "blasters" have to wear air tanks because the atmosphere inside the house becomes unbreathable with all of the sublimating CO2. 

I really hope that your insurance agent did their homework on the "front end" and that your policy was written with enough coverage.  Insurance always gets a little "wonky" when dealing with unique situations.

2014-02-25 8:10 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Oh Elesa.   I'm so sorry.   I know that must be heart-wrenching.  

I saw them use the dry ice technique on "Holmes on Homes" one time.   They were using it to remove mold from the wood in a house that some renters had converted into a grow house.   Did you know that a Marijuana plant can "breathe" up to 500mL of water every day?   There were 300 plants in this house when it was busted.  The ventilation was all into the attic.  So yeah, there was some mold! 

The "blasters" have to wear air tanks because the atmosphere inside the house becomes unbreathable with all of the sublimating CO2. 

I really hope that your insurance agent did their homework on the "front end" and that your policy was written with enough coverage.  Insurance always gets a little "wonky" when dealing with unique situations.

Thanks Ryan.

As long as our house doesn't get "totaled," our coverage is excellent.   We're not approaching that number yet.

The adjuster, meh, not so much.  However, at this point I think that's just going to mean extra work for me in terms of providing receipts and comps.  When we've done that, he's been happy to give full reimbursement.  "Luckily" we just finished building four years ago, so I still have that file ;)I had no idea pot-plants "breathe" that much.  That's a crazy day at work--blasting mold in an attic from a grow operation and needing to wear air tanks because of sublimation. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Paint sprayers? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What kind of paint on a bike?

Started by kimj81
Views: 514 Posts: 4

2007-06-21 1:42 PM ride_like_u_stole_it

ahhhh. paint

Started by gsulee
Views: 677 Posts: 17

2007-01-26 11:51 AM coachese

Paint stripping fumes

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 611 Posts: 5

2006-10-28 9:28 AM shawn barr

My beast needs paint

Started by Downunderman
Views: 1043 Posts: 18

2005-11-11 11:34 AM Tania

Me and my newly painted bike! Pages: 1 2

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 1984 Posts: 49

2005-09-27 3:57 PM runnergirl29
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
comments : 0
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.