General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IRONMAN in Boulder? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-23 11:32 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: First IRONMAN in Boulder?
Hi guys,

Background-2014 is first season in triathlon. 23 lifetime avid runner, committed to tri-training in December 2013. Recently moved up to 1km continuos swim, biking @17/18 mph but at a much higher heart rate than I'd like (no power meter). Currently training 7ish hrs/wk. Official 20wk plan for HIM lake Stevens begins in 7 weeks. COLORADO NATIVE, born raised and all training completed in Denver/Boulder area.

This season has a sprint oly and HIM on schedule. I'm running a marathon March 1st 2015.

***i would like to do my first full IRONMAN in Boulder of 2015. I've hear a lot of talk of "racing at altitude" and the August heat making this a very tough and "not desirable" course to race. The appeal of racing in my hometown for confidence, pride, FINANCES, etc. is greatly drawing me to plan next season around this race.

I do not want to be ignorant however as I have a great amount of respect for the demands of this sport.

Does this seem like a bad place for a first full ironman? Does being a native help interns of altitude? I've never had a session near the length of an IM so maybe the altitude does matter over a long course. Not looking for a podium, just to cross the line uninjured and with good form. Opinions appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Brian W 2014-02-23 11:33 AM

2014-02-23 11:44 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

New user
penticton
Subject: RE: First IRONMAN in Boulder?
as you are from boulder, altitude is a none issue. it dosnt need to be factored for you. we are talking of very mild altitude to start with but for someone at sea level,... performance is decrease if no acclimatisation is done.
2014-02-23 1:49 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Being local will probably give you some advantages that will balance things out. For starters, altitude won't be a factor. Also, you won't have to "travel" much to get to the race. The time, effort, and money you save by racing nearby is a tremendous advantage. Second, you can train on and around the course. The Boulder Reservoir has weekly swim/ run activities in the summer (called the Stroke and Stride). I would also suspect that many of the area tri clubs are going to be planning some practice rides on the course. My understanding is that the bike course runs north and east of town so there isn't a lot of climbing/ hills on the course.
The August heat is probably the biggest concern for this race, although you will find similar conditions at almost any summertime Ironman (I'm looking at you Louisville). Still, being local, will give you a chance to train in those conditions. Overall, I would say that IM Boulder might be an ideal first IM.
2014-02-23 6:50 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
This year Boulder is my first IM. I live in Highlands Ranch at 5800 feet above sea level, Boulder is about 400 lower than my front door. I did my first HIM in Boulder last year and feel that I had a good race. I think that training above 5000 feet and not having to worry about travel is a trade off for any disadvantage that the altitude could have, if any since we live at that altitude.

You also have that advantage on being able to train on the course. I am 60 miles away but I plan on doing at least a couple of runs on the Boulder Creek Trail and a couple of rides up to Carter Lake from Boulder before the race in August. I chose Boulder as my first IM because it was close, as tedjohn said I think that Boulder is the best choice for your first IM.
2014-02-24 5:32 AM
in reply to: #4954128

User image

Elite
Everyone answered the altitude question.

Regarding whether it is , to paraphrase, ' too difficult for a first one'.?

Before my first when I " studied" all the north American IM branded and non branded races I learned ( no suprise here) that going 140.6 is tough no matter the venue. Sure all have some.easier comparisons and more difficult one to.each other. I guess people think.AZ is the most forgiving race compared.to.others as well as Florida for a flatter bike but typically harder ocean.swim.

From what you are telling us IM boulder seems like the best race for you. Train hard and good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IRONMAN in Boulder? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Boulder Ironman

Started by natebs
Views: 1973 Posts: 10

2014-03-12 12:54 PM austhokie

Ironman 70.3 Boulder 2014

Started by yjt0189
Views: 1398 Posts: 5

2013-09-15 9:27 PM yjt0189

It's Official - Ironman Boulder Pages: 1 2

Started by TL2
Views: 2774 Posts: 27

2013-06-24 9:58 AM Exige

Ironman 140.6 Headed to Boulder, CO -- 8/3/14

Started by Mike_D
Views: 2306 Posts: 8

2013-06-20 11:32 AM Exige

Ironman France for first ironman??

Started by fglynn
Views: 1353 Posts: 7

2011-05-07 8:29 PM Khyron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : October 20, 2008
author : AndriaLL
comments : 1
It was literally seconds after I started swimming that I felt the tightness in my chest. I couldn’t get a deep breath in due to the tightness of my wetsuit. I was being strangled by my wetsuit...
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : May 20, 2008
author : mikericci
I just finished my first Ironman - New Zealand, sub 12 hours. I am looking to improve my performance through training but wondering what equipment would help me towards a better performance?
date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.

date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.