General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base Training Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-23 3:29 PM

User image

Subject: Base Training Advice
So I'm completely new to triathlons and plan to compete in the Pinehurst International Triathlon (1500m swim / 30m bike / 10k run) in 32 weeks. I want to do 19-20 Weeks of base training, a week off, then 12 weeks of with interval training.

Anyways, I am want to get some opinions on how I should organize my base training. I would like to swim/bike/run 3x a week for base training. I have to do my long swim after church on Saturdays, my long run with my track coach Sundays, and would like one day of rest a week. Other than that, my training plan is pretty open. Here is my current plan:

Sunday: Long Run
Monday: Long Bike
Tuesday: Day Off
Wednesday: Medium Swim - Short Bike
Thursday: Medium Run - Short Swim
Friday: Medium Bike - Short Run
Saturday: Long Swim

Due to school and work, I have to do this training in the evenings. Is this trianing plan on the right track?
Thanks!

Edited by HGrahamR 2014-02-23 3:30 PM

2014-02-23 4:30 PM
in reply to: HGrahamR

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Base Training Advice
This will work fine. There is no magic you are missing if you are defining "base training" as being of a specific speed and you want to do each actiity 3x per week. YOu'll improve.

Track your training and do assessments and if/when you plateau with this plan, change it up.

Personally with that kidn of time, I'd do 1 month of your weekly plan to establish a routine, do testing, discover which sports need attention whether it's technique, flexibility, endurance, speed, etc.

if you are already running a 5k at 21 minutes for example, but your swimming is 2:10 / 100. Swim 4-5 times a week and run twice.

Don't lock into 5 months of training too soon, be flexible.

On the other hand, if you were able to just follow this as you'll finish your tri just fine.

FWIW, when you use the term base training it's going to have a different meanign for everyone depending on their background, experience, exposure to different training models etc. Base training for my athlets includes little dips into Zone 2, 3, 4 and even zone 5. Whether or not it is base build or race depends upon the specific mix of each adn the relative strengths/weaknesses of each sport.

Fun stuff.
2014-02-23 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

agree with what is posted above.  also i find it is better to do the long bike the day before a long run since running is much harder to recover from.  this way i can get two solid workouts in instead of one good one and another which may suffer a little.

2014-02-23 6:17 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Thanks for the advice!
2014-02-23 9:44 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

New user
penticton
and why having your long run the day after the bike? isnt a long run a key workout? why not do it 2-3 days after your long ride?

great advices so far in this thread. Many people associate base training with low z2 workouts. i m of the same opinion as suzanne, it s important to mix the training stimulus and put some higher intensity in the mix. Our sport is 99% aerobic and everything we do contribute to building a stronger aerobic system.

at this time of the year...you should be working on non specific element and specificity will increase as racing season approach.
2014-02-23 9:46 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Following up on Suzanne's advice, I think it would be possible to give more useful feedback if you added some information on your current fitness/experience in the 3 events. What counts as "long" for you currently in S/B/R? Do you have good swim form, or is the thought of swimming 1500m daunting to you (... as it was to so many of us 6 months before our first Oly)?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base Training Advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

base training vs winter training

Started by nickih
Views: 2461 Posts: 16

2013-11-17 12:28 AM Trbilbao

Base training to training program

Started by lamarvenoy
Views: 884 Posts: 6

2012-02-08 12:55 AM beebs

Need advice - cycle or strength training before HIM training

Started by rjp7204
Views: 813 Posts: 4

2010-01-06 9:21 PM sesh

Swim base training - advice?

Started by agarose2000
Views: 2262 Posts: 14

2009-01-19 12:53 PM lrobb

Training advice based on last race results.

Started by Canadian_newfie
Views: 528 Posts: 9

2005-10-12 12:46 PM trilover
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 18, 2012
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Part 1 of 3 on finding your weak areas and maximizing your time in winter.

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout

Triathlon Training Advice and Tips
Reasons for triathlon training.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
You ride hard enough that you are working but not so hard that you can’t do the same thing the next day. 700 km or 400 miles a week.