General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon (Intenational) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon (Intenational) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Greenfield, MA
United States
Greenfield Recreation Department
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 41m 5s
Overall Rank = 164/169
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/17
Pre-race routine:

Stretch, hydrate, breakfast, leave for race on time, packet pickup, deep breathing exercizes.
At race site: org transition area, top off with water and GU, wetsuit on.
Event warmup:

Light jogging with wetsuit pulled on 1/2 way, stretching, a few laps near the start.
Swim
  • 20m 57s
  • 1109 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the divider/buoy line, even though you couldn't touch there. Navigate lest, draft more. Need more time in the pool. My lack of training was evident.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Was dizzy coming out of the water - water in my right ear? Saw other people doing this too. Easily found my bike, and made it through transition quickly. Should have run to the mount, but caught my breath.

Run to bike mount area.
Bike
  • 1h 52m 20s
  • 30.4 miles
  • 16.24 mile/hr
Comments:

By lap three I was cruising! By lap four, I was starting to fatique. Focused on making nice full circles and getting myself up those steep hills, and then pushing in the big ring on downhills, and spending a great deal of time aero. Really felt good about this ride!

Practice climbing; invest more mileage; spend more hours in the small ring.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Fast, fast, fast. A good transition here.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 24m 27s
  • 7.2 miles
  • 11m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a near meltdown on the run. This is the first race I considered dropping out of.

By the run, it was warming up, and sun started to beat down. I began with very nice and loose quads, but my calves were seizing, having pushed it on the bike. After mile one, I needed to stop and stretch my calves/achilles tendons out, as they were in lotsa pain. The Fuel Belt worked great. Ran with nice long, lean posture, not leaning forward, but straight up and breathing was very nice, as was heart rate. I only walked up the steep hill after the covered bridge, though I wanted to walk more; this was really an exercize in mental fortitude. One foot in front of the other. My utter neglect for run training this summer was written all over my salty face. I was tired. I finished, but it wasn't pretty. I completed the race last in my age group and near DFL in the race. I wanted to run past the finish line and into the bushes and hide. Instead, I spent the entire 2 hour car ride home reevaluating training with hubbie. What doesn't kill you (of embarressment) makes you reassess your motivation.

Run. Run in the morning, at lunch, and at night. Run in my sleep. More track workouts. : ) Really, though, I like my endurance level, I just need the speed!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, water-water-water, Powerade, walking. During awards ceremony/eating, I met with Wendy (Gwendal) and thanked her for her expert pre-race notes about the course (she lives in town). They had really helped! I went to grab more lasagna, and returned, but she had left. Wendy, again - thank you for the notes - it was nice to see you!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training hours.

Event comments:

This was a beautiful course! I can't wait to do this race again next year. Directions online to the race site were a bit screwy, and the meeting last night to review the course never happened. Transition was well-planned, and there were many water stations; I would have liked one more Gatorade station. Post race food was soy burgers (?), meatless hotdogs (?), veggie salad with broccoli and cauliflower (?), and lasagna. Where were the beef burgers, green salad, and cookies? That truly, was my only complaint, and I'm a foodie, so I'm probably being over critical.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:57 | 1109 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 105/169
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: 1.5 loops up and down a river around a divider of plastic floating bottles tied to a string; each end was marked with a large orange buoy. Ended with a climb up a bank and a chute leading to transition. Clear water, very shallow, not too rocky, parts by the beach were clean and sandy.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:52:20 | 30.4 miles | 16.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/17
Overall: 159/169
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 4 loops counterclockwise on Leyden Rd., Eunice Williams Drive, Green River Rd., Colrain Rd., back on Nash's Mill Rd. 4 lap course; 2 moderate 150 ft. climbs that were decent. Rollers and nice flats everywhere else. Incredibly scenic, really pretty; this took my mind off the repetitiveness. Mostly sunny with little shade; through a covered bridge then up a very steep switchback. Otherwise, nothing of note.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:24:27 | 07.2 miles | 11m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/17
Overall: 161/169
Performance: Below average
Course: One loop counterclockwise on Leyden Rd., Eunice Williams Drive, Green River Rd., Plain Rd., Colrain Rd., back on Nash's Mill Rd. Virtually the same as the bike course, with a small piece near the end abbrieviated. Music playing near covered bridge.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-06 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT
Subject: Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon (Intenational)

2006-08-06 6:29 PM
in reply to: #503483

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon (Intenational)
Nice race & race report...Made me want to sign up for next year...!
2006-08-06 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts

It was nice to meet you, too!  I think I met up with my family just about then.  My husband and three kids were kicking around doing clean-up duty.

Why no hamburgers?  Because the major sponsor is Lightlife Foods and they make tofu products!  But there was a choice of meat or veggie lasagna.  All in all, I think they feed us better afterwards that just about anywhere else I've ever been.

I'm glad you found the course scenic.  I do, too.  It's a bit like the Webster Course without that mile of city traffic.  No llamas, but you can find sheep and goats if you look.  ;-)

You'll find stats here:

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/06/ma/Aug6_Greenf_set4.shtml 

2006-08-07 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT

GSTC at Greenfield Triathlon <b></b>(MA<b></b>)

(I'm fourth from the right, wearing blue pants.)

Edited by lobstergirl 2006-08-07 8:04 AM
2006-08-07 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Really nice race. I'm glad to hear that you finished and that you enjoyed the day, even after a tough run. Meatless/healthy foods would have bummed me out too. At least they had ice cream.

2006-08-07 4:45 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

don't be so harsh on yourself (pot, meet kettle).  You finished under other than optimal circumstances and should be pretty pleased about that.  If DFL is cause for embarrassment than I better start racing with a paper bag over my head!

I am definately going to look at this race for next year. 

2006-08-07 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Hey K,

It was a tough day for many on the run...the hills that we endured on bike were not fun under-foot.  I was just so grateful that I would only see them once!  One of my teammates siezed-up with quad cramps after the bridge and nearly DNF'd as well, but with his luck, there were just 2 in his AG, so he still got a mug even though he finished late.  We just had larger AGs to deal with, and there were some seriously fast women out there.  I couldn't believe how marginal my swim and bike times were! 

Like your DH, I gave my SO an earfull on the ride home about what could've been better, how much more training I should've done, etc.  But it all comes down to "why" do we race?  To finish.  To endure.  You did it!  Be proud.

Enjoy your recovery day(s), -Sunny

P.S.  I think I'm going for an easy jog tonight...must...run...more.  And hey, I feel good, so why not?  (famous last words)

2006-08-13 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

LG,

Great job sticking with it through a tough day!  I recently had a moment like that in a race where I asked my self "why am I doing this - this friggin' hurts!?!?  How can I walk back to my car quickly and inconspicuously? "  But it's a question that answers itself when you dig deep and gut it out.  You must feel really good about sticking it out despite not being happy with your times.  That's the true test of character - finishing what you started despite not having your best stuff that day... Nice job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon (Intenational) Rss Feed