Age Group Rank = 74/76
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 7h 25m 22s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 17m  min/mile
Comments:

I got up at 4:45AM when the alarm rang. I had a good sleep.
We drove to the race start location and found a parking space about 15 mins away from the start line.
I met with Becca, Christi and Judy from the Galloway training group. It was 6:30AM and a gorgeous morning, albeit a little warm.
It was a big crowd and we were in corral 8.
Becca and me decided to run together with a 1:1 run, walk.
We started the run and for the first 9 miles, kept a good pace, between 3.9 mph to 4.4 mph.
Near the end, we walked up a steep bridge and when I looked back, saw a swarm of runners, with colorful clothes. It felt good to be a part of this big group of people.
I had to take a bio break, Becca took off and then I was running alone.
Once the marathoners and half marathoners split up, it became lonely, not many runners.
I passed and talked to many of the marathoners.
There was Susan, who walked a fast walk and said she was running her 460th marathon, a gentleman from Ohio who was running his 149th marathon and another man who was consistently plodding along, he looked tired but he never let down, he kept going.
Throughout, I was hydrating and taking my gu every hour at least and endurolyte tablets as well.
The sun had come out and it was warm and around mile 15, I started feeling cramps in my right calves, every time I ran.
I decided to walk the reamining distance.
In the far distance, I saw this person with the red cap walking and walking consistently at a slightly faster pace than me.
I started telling myself that it was the North star and I will take my inspiration from the star. I used to run a little trying to catch the star, but it was always ahead of me.
I think that it was around mile 20 that I finally caught up with the star, Rick from Oklahoma who was running his 130th marathon, and me running my 2nd.
We walked together for a while and then I had to slow down, while Rick continued on his pace, getting farther and farther from me.
I felt strong and walked a brisk pace, but could not run.
I met with Jennifer who was running her first race and wanted to finish before 7h30m and Priscella who got blisters on here feet and troubled her till they burst and then she felt better and she ran and motivated me to run some.
I was walking but enjoyed myself thoroughly, waving to the volunteers and the cops, talking to them and enjoying myself thoroughly.
Mile 23, at the waterstop, they guided me to go by the water. I went there and could see no marathon runners ahead of me. I wondered whether I will finish in time. But there was a pleasant breeze and I felt strong. I continued my brisk walk with the wind on my face.
At mile 25, I saw Rick again and I had my north star guiding me and giving me motivation.
I had to catch up. I ran some and walked some and finally caught up with Rick at 25.7 miles.
We walked together till mile 26 and then I burst out the last .2 miles, running strong and finally finished with Donna who was walking real fast.
My wife Gettha was at the finish line and I was jubiliant, I had finished my 2nd marathon ever in 7h, 25m, 25 s
What would you do differently?:

Nothing different
Post race
Warm down:

I came home and had a soak in hot water with Epson salt. Very tired.
I got the beginning of cramps a couple of times,but the cramps really did not happen. Slept till about 10PM and am writing my race log.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am pleased with what I accomplished.

Last updated: 2014-02-18 12:00 AM
Running
07:25:22 | 26.2 miles | 17m  min/mile
Age Group: 74/76
Overall: 1973/1995
Performance: Average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/450588225 I believe that for roughly an hour, I was not running even though the garmin timer was running
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-02-24 8:31 AM

User image

Subject: The Cowtown Marathon

2014-02-24 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4954540

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: The Cowtown Marathon
Kumar, beautiful race report! Loved the "north star" analogy. The conversations, even if brief, that you had with people on the course are such a gift, and truly enrich the experience. Congrats to you on running your race, and soaking in every bit if your marathon day!
2014-02-24 10:28 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Congrats Kumar! Half the battle with marathons or any endurance race is enjoying yourself and your reports shows that you had a good time and met a lot of new people!
2014-02-24 2:16 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Good job staying tough through a very long race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Cowtown Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cowtown Marathon: UNTHSC Half Marathon

Started by KSH
Views: 1685 Posts: 4

2011-03-03 2:15 AM minicar

The Cowtown Marathon

Started by yoblondie
Views: 2323 Posts: 5

2008-02-27 9:52 PM apw0397

Sacramento Cowtown Marathon

Started by swgtri
Views: 1555 Posts: 4

2007-10-17 4:49 PM spokes

The Cowtown Marathon

Started by efrazier
Views: 1239 Posts: 1

2006-02-28 7:43 PM efrazier

Cowtown Marathon

Started by devo27
Views: 2738 Posts: 5

2006-02-27 3:05 PM devo27
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 1
How a father and son went from zero to marathon and had the experience of a lifetime!
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area