Elite Sports Ventura County
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 38s
Overall Rank = 156/340
Age Group = M 30-39
Age Group Rank = 45/72
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Ventra in the morning of the day before for packet pick-up then did a little bit of historic and beach sight seeing. The drive along the coast was foggy and I was worried the run would be socked in with fog the next day. Met some friends for sushi dinner then went back to the motel and fell asleep early.
Event warmup:

Arrived at the race start which was a park right on the beach. The fog was low however looking to the north along the course route I could see sunny and clear skies. While I stretched and warmed up I watched the surfers riding some great long board waves and almost wished I had brought my board and could be out on the water instead of running.
Run
  • 2h 04m 38s
  • 13.25 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The fog was hanging over the race start, the horn blew and we were off and running! As we left the park we broke through the fog and it looked clear and sunny up the coast.

My pace for the first couple of miles were a tad quicker than I usually run as I was carried by the adrenaline of race day. By mile 4 I settled into my normal pace and enjoyed the great views of the ocean along the beach.

The course looked fairly flat however that was slightly deceptive. Very little of it was actually flat, as it mostly consisted of long false-flats and little rollers. Fortunately there was only one hill of minor significance so the terrain didn't slow me down too much.

After mile 10 I felt myself slowing down a little bit. Knowing I was on the home stretch helped me stay focused on moving forward and not stopping to walk. As I passed the mile 12 marker I picked up my pace to finish strong. Wow did that last mile hurt!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/450803200
What would you do differently?:

Not much, all in all a good race for my current fitness levels.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the first aid tent to get an ice pack for some preventative icing of my "bad" foot. Stretched my legs while watching the surfers ride the waves and still wished I was out there on them myself.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, all in all a good race for my current fitness levels.

Event comments:

Great race, the course was beautiful and scenic

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-01-08 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:38 | 13.25 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/72
Overall: 156/340
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back along the coast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-02-24 12:50 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: Seaside Half Marathon

2014-02-24 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4954725

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Seaside Half Marathon
Nice work Brian. Sounds like a great half and a good way to get the season kicked off. Keep that foot under evaluation during the next few weeks to avoid any injury. Try lessening the run load the next few weeks to see how it responds.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seaside Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Seaside Half-Marathon

Started by Its Only Money
Views: 1315 Posts: 1

2010-03-09 10:47 AM Its Only Money

Seaside Half-Marathon

Started by gator486
Views: 1176 Posts: 2

2010-03-07 5:14 PM Shaved_Wookie

Seaside Half-Marathon

Started by Sledge
Views: 1358 Posts: 2

2009-03-05 9:11 PM Manatee Express

Seaside Half-Marathon

Started by Sledge
Views: 1933 Posts: 6

2008-03-03 12:39 PM peto_primo

Seaside Half-Marathon

Started by emeraldCoastTri
Views: 1348 Posts: 3

2007-03-11 12:01 AM yojimbo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.