General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me figure out how these two runs happened Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-25 8:37 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Help me figure out how these two runs happened
Saturday was my "long run". So 80 minutes, very easy pace. My plan was to walk one minute for every 9 of running. So I wound up going 7.16 miles in 80 minutes with an average HR of 159.

Today I planned a "race pace" run for 60 minutes. So I intended to go for 10 min miles, not watching HR. I even turned it off so I couldn't see it during my run. No walking either. Today I ran for 6.66 miles in 60 minutes, for a pace of 9 min miles, and an average HR of 160.

The weather was virtually identical, as was the terrain. If anything, today's terrain had a couple, very small hills. WHen I say small I mean a rise of maybe 15 feet.

My HR profile was vrtually identical after the first 10 minutes. Today my HR shot way up, but i think it was an error, it said i hit 193 within the first minute and I wasn't sprinting out of the gate, other than that it was a gentle rise to where it leveled off around 160. Sat was a struggle to keep it under 160, I had to keep slowing down.

I definitely felt today's run more in my legs, where as Saturdays I didn't feel sore at all. However, breathing wise they felt similar. I was never breathing heavy today and could've kept going for a while longer. Reason I say that was I started thinking my battery could be on the fritz. But when it was dieing before it had a much lower HR that it wouldn't go over.
Only other difference was that I had a rest day yesterday where as saturdays run I had trained all week.

Any thoughts?

2014-02-25 8:44 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Help me figure out how these two runs happened

Your "race pace" is faster than 10:00 miles.

2014-02-26 6:50 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville Saturday was my "long run". So 80 minutes, very easy pace. My plan was to walk one minute for every 9 of running. So I wound up going 7.16 miles in 80 minutes with an average HR of 159. Today I planned a "race pace" run for 60 minutes. So I intended to go for 10 min miles, not watching HR. I even turned it off so I couldn't see it during my run. No walking either. Today I ran for 6.66 miles in 60 minutes, for a pace of 9 min miles, and an average HR of 160. The weather was virtually identical, as was the terrain. If anything, today's terrain had a couple, very small hills. WHen I say small I mean a rise of maybe 15 feet. My HR profile was vrtually identical after the first 10 minutes. Today my HR shot way up, but i think it was an error, it said i hit 193 within the first minute and I wasn't sprinting out of the gate, other than that it was a gentle rise to where it leveled off around 160. Sat was a struggle to keep it under 160, I had to keep slowing down. I definitely felt today's run more in my legs, where as Saturdays I didn't feel sore at all. However, breathing wise they felt similar. I was never breathing heavy today and could've kept going for a while longer. Reason I say that was I started thinking my battery could be on the fritz. But when it was dieing before it had a much lower HR that it wouldn't go over. Only other difference was that I had a rest day yesterday where as saturdays run I had trained all week. Any thoughts?

I think the rest day could definitely be a factor.  How was your hydration for each run?  Your sleep the night before?

HR isn't always a reliable indicator and some days we run and we feel strong and the run feels relatively effortless, others, not so much :)  Sounds like you had your two extremes back to back.

2014-02-26 8:38 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

It is very hard to compare two individual, different runs. Weather, what you ate the day before/morning of, sleep, work stress, life stress,  your mood, your mother calling and nagging you about something, can all have an impact. What is more important is to see how you progress over time. I would do a LT HR test to determine what your efforts should be for different runs, and then go from there.

2014-02-26 12:19 PM
in reply to: switch

Arden, North Carolina
There wasn't much difference aside from being more rested. Hydration was probably a bit better going into yesterday's run. Sleep was probably less going into yesterday.
However, saturday was not an extreme. Thats pretty much been typical of my long runs. I was slower during last weeks long run. But I typically am in the low 11's for my long runs. So it was yesterday that was strange, not the speed so much, but the fact that my HR stayed down. That NEVER happens for me.
2014-02-26 12:24 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by dmiller5

It is very hard to compare two individual, different runs. Weather, what you ate the day before/morning of, sleep, work stress, life stress,  your mood, your mother calling and nagging you about something, can all have an impact. What is more important is to see how you progress over time. I would do a LT HR test to determine what your efforts should be for different runs, and then go from there.

I get that, but it really isn't as much as comparing two runs (i realize that's all I wrote about) but yesterday's run to all my long slow runs. Saturday was a typical day, as I told mentioned the post I just wrote, it was yesterday that was out of whack. I've run that fast before, so the speed wasn't new, it was the fact that my HR stayed down and it didn't feel as hard as I expected it to.

LTHR test....ugh, I hate you for bringing that up The last one I did was a few months ago and it knocked me out for a few days. My calves had never hurt that bad after a run in my life.
Those results are what I've been using for my current running. However, when I plugged my times into that V-Dot(I think is what it's called) calculator the paces didn't mesh what what I'd expect my HR to be at those paces.

Here's another question for anyone, how much can your mental state affect your HR? One of the other differences was that on saturday I had HR showing on my watch and was constantly watching it, where yesterday I took it off and only ran by "feel" and pace. I wanted to slow down, but I just felt really good at the pace I was going so I never needed to.
Can watching your HR trick you into rising it?

2014-02-26 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I wouldn't lose any sleep trying to over analyze your runs.  Too many variables to factor in.  Just log them as data points and move on.

I will say that stuff like this is what influenced me to go from training by HR to RPE.

Mark

2014-02-26 2:06 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I wouldn't lose any sleep trying to over analyze your runs.  Too many variables to factor in.  Just log them as data points and move on.

I will say that stuff like this is what influenced me to go from training by HR to RPE.

Mark

That's the biggest thing I'm taking from this. Thinking of changing up as well. Still tracking HR, but mainly going by feel.
2014-02-26 2:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Mark

This.

Look at your running from a Big Picture standpoint. Sometimes I feel great even when I've had a poor night's sleep and was on my feet all day in heels and ate fast food for lunch, and sometimes I feel slow/ sluggish when I'm rested and eating well. Over analyzing every run isn't helpful -- just keep running

Edited by trishie 2014-02-26 2:33 PM
2014-02-27 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

Saturday was my "long run". So 80 minutes, very easy pace. My plan was to walk one minute for every 9 of running. So I wound up going 7.16 miles in 80 minutes with an average HR of 159.

Today I planned a "race pace" run for 60 minutes. So I intended to go for 10 min miles, not watching HR. I even turned it off so I couldn't see it during my run. No walking either. Today I ran for 6.66 miles in 60 minutes, for a pace of 9 min miles, and an average HR of 160.

The weather was virtually identical, as was the terrain. If anything, today's terrain had a couple, very small hills. WHen I say small I mean a rise of maybe 15 feet.

My HR profile was vrtually identical after the first 10 minutes. Today my HR shot way up, but i think it was an error, it said i hit 193 within the first minute and I wasn't sprinting out of the gate, other than that it was a gentle rise to where it leveled off around 160. Sat was a struggle to keep it under 160, I had to keep slowing down.

I definitely felt today's run more in my legs, where as Saturdays I didn't feel sore at all. However, breathing wise they felt similar. I was never breathing heavy today and could've kept going for a while longer. Reason I say that was I started thinking my battery could be on the fritz. But when it was dieing before it had a much lower HR that it wouldn't go over.
Only other difference was that I had a rest day yesterday where as saturdays run I had trained all week.

Any thoughts?

-oversensing of the HR monitor in the second run (to your cadence), which likely raised the 'average' HR up a bit and caused the 190's (a common mixed stride rate and HR-when I hear about 'high HR's in the 180-190 range', this is what I think of first)
-variable cumulative training load/rest between the two runs

in the end, they are both just training runs-- but it is good that you are trying to study what was similiar and what was different
I'm not sure that it is the best use of the HR monitor as I have no idea how that HR relates to your LT HR...or training load, or lots of other variables that have real meaning...regarding race pacing

your HR did not perceice much of a difference between an 80 minute run/walk and a 60 min 'race pace' run and that is a useful piece of information
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me figure out how these two runs happened Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help me figure out how these two runs happened

Started by TriDadinAsheville
Views: 195 Posts: 1

2014-02-25 8:34 PM TriDadinAsheville

Help diagnosing what happened on run....

Started by pbreed
Views: 1208 Posts: 18

2012-06-06 12:00 PM Experior

I have figured out the purpose of the Run-Bike-Run brick

Started by chevy57
Views: 1355 Posts: 15

2011-08-28 3:42 AM stevebradley

need help figuring out a tempo run for Wed 8/11

Started by lovesreading
Views: 664 Posts: 4

2010-08-10 6:33 AM Scout7

Trying to figure out what happened to me during my run today

Started by Kath2163
Views: 1229 Posts: 11

2009-07-05 11:36 AM Kath2163
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Two Legged Squats exercise instruction with video.

date : December 27, 2010
author : mikericci
My question is how do I train for the second Ironman race and continue to improve without "peaking" way too early, becoming stagnant or any of the other training bad words?
date : February 5, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 1
Trying to figure out how to fit all of your weekly training sessions in? This guide will show the best ways to schedule your two-a-day workouts.

date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.
date : July 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
Gut check! Striking a balance between your two loves can make and keep the relationship strong.

date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
Standing Bent Over Two-Arm Dumbbell Extension strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
Here’s a couple of tactics that I have found VERY helpful when it comes to my early morning workouts…hopefully, at least one of them will work for you too!

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout