General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee reconstruction recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-27 11:06 PM

New user

Subject: Knee reconstruction recovery
So after tempting fate for a few years, I finally managed to injure my knee playing basketball. Long story short, dislocated knee, ruptured ACL, cartilage and torn medial ligament. All this done playing social basketball whilst getting ready for Cairns IM. Needless to say, Cairns IM 2014 is off the radar.

Had the conventional hamstring graft reconstruction on Tuesday gone by. All went well and now well and truly in early recovery mode with plenty of ice and elevation etc.

My wife and surgeon think I am crazy to be even thinking I can do Noosa Tri in November 2014. I think I can and I have it as my recovery goal.

Has anyone had a knee reco and gone back to training. How long etc? What pitfalls did you encounter?

Thanks !

2014-02-28 8:23 AM
in reply to: gregz23

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Knee reconstruction recovery

Sorry to hear about your injury and hope you heal quickly.

It's great to hear that you're eager to get back to training, but I would caution you  not to try to do too much too soon and risk doing long-term or permanent damage to your knee.  Doing one particular race is not worth it.  There will always be more races to do when you're healthy again.

Good luck to you.

Mark

2014-02-28 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4956992

New user

Thanks for your words of support Mark. In the back of my mind I too have my doubts and I guess I am just trying to gauge whether I am being too haste.

I will definitely not rush it - plenty of fish in the sea as you rightly point out.

Cheers
2014-02-28 5:43 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I am a sports ortho and a 2 time loser with my ACLs.  NO RUNNING FOR THE FIRST 3 MONTHS.  Seriously.  The graft remodels and we have very solid science on this.  Its not strong enough until the 3 month mark to withstand the forces of running.  Do you r rehab and then do some more.  You can bike when you can make a revolution on the bike, you can swim when you incisions are healed but your primary focus the first 3-4 months is getting your quads and hamstrings back in addition to balance etc.  So is an IM in Nov. in  possible?  yes, but EVERYTHING needs to go perfectly and that doesn't always happen.  You need to get your motion back quickly, you need to follow your rehab perfectly.  You can maintain cardio on the swim and the bike but you also have to listen to your body carefully.  I would not let you run until the 3 month mark and then only if things are going well IE you have no swelling all your motion and your quad is working.  I would also not expect to PR or set lofty goals for your IM so if you are going to be crushed if you do not podium or have to do a run:walk on the run then come back and fight another day.

2014-02-28 5:44 PM

I tore my ACL and partially tore my MCL, LCL, and some other 'smaller' ligaments last February. Had surgery early May for the ACL and posteriolateral corner (allografts). I was on the stationary bike within 2 weeks of my surgery at PT and was allowed to go to the gym and stationary cycle to my heart's content at very low resistance as soon as my brace was unlocked (3 weeks post). Running was not allowed until 12 weeks after surgery. I could swim after about 6 weeks with minimal kick but it didn't feel very good so I didn't do it. I hadn't ever run a block before this happened and I ran a 5K at the end of November. I used a couch-to-5K type program, and only started running because I was completely bored with the bike by them and to give myself a challenge by running in the 5K.

I had zero problems with my rehab (I was very diligent about attending PT and doing the exercises at home!) and the knee felt great running at 12 weeks (the lungs not so much).
2014-03-01 12:57 AM
in reply to: #4957407

New user

Got it guys. Definitely no running for 3-4 months but it's good to hear the swim and bike can go back to normal within a reasonable time.

Definitely not aiming for a PB, I will be more than happy to finish!!

Thanks all for your words of advice!!!!

2014-03-01 7:07 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
had hamstring graft done about 15 years ago. Ran close to the 3 month mark. Think I started light biking at 6 weeks. I had issues near 4 weeks though because my leg wasn't bending. they put me under anesthesia and bent it for me, but it strained my quad. I think the surgery was in October and went back to playing soccer in late summer. I def wasn't in Ironman shape back then, but I do remember feeling pretty out of shape, but back then I didn't have a reg "training" routine. Do I think you can do the IM? Possibly, but it will all depend on how everything goes. like the above comments don't expect any quick times and take it very easy if you attempt it. Follow ur PT and do everything they say. Getting your strength back is the most important and there are plenty of Ironmans to do in the future. I'm sorry this happened to you. I think after my surgery I had the most depressing time of my life ever, but just think by late spring you should be able to get back to running and it will be all in the past. Let you body heal, stay positive and eat clean. Focus on now and if you end up being able to do the race that's another bonus! If you already signed up maybe you can at least do a good portion of the race rather than see your money go down the drain.
2014-03-09 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4957517

New user

Thank you all for your words and support!

Happy to report that 2 weeks post op, I am walking unassisted (slowly) and have full straight extension of the leg. Quads are back twitching away!

The hamstrings are next to be attacked and so far I can do 90 degrees bend. Slowly but surely!!

Cheers all and happy training.
Greg
2014-03-10 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by gregz23 Thank you all for your words and support! Happy to report that 2 weeks post op, I am walking unassisted (slowly) and have full straight extension of the leg. Quads are back twitching away! The hamstrings are next to be attacked and so far I can do 90 degrees bend. Slowly but surely!! Cheers all and happy training. Greg
Well done Be a good PT pt.  Studies show that the people who do their therapy religiously have the best result.  With 90 degrees of flexion you should be able to get a revolution on a stationary bike soon

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee reconstruction recovery Rss Feed