General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Columbia No More??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-04 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: Tri Columbia No More???
So please take what I say here with a grain of salt but I am curious if anyone else on here has heard the same things or not....

Was at the gym tonight working out with a buddy who is pretty competitive in his AG and he told me that he heard that Tri Columbia is not having any of their events for the 2014 season. He said that it has not been officially announced yet but he was told that they will be cancelling all of their events this year including Eagleman. He is signed up for the Columbia Tri, Eagleman and Heroes Triathlon. I went to their website and it does not seem to be active. Anyone in Howard County or Mid MD Tri Club have any inside info on this? I know its too early for an April Fools prank and with him being so competitive (trying for KQ @ EM this year) he was really upset when he was talking to me about this.

Not sure if this is true or not and I forget who he said told him this info but seemed to be someone with some inside knowledge. I am not trying to start Rumors here just seeing if anyone has heard anything. This could all be some big misunderstanding and everything is fine but they did just dump Rocky Gap......

2014-03-04 7:15 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Tri Columbia No More???
There's an active ST thread on this right now. Nothing concrete, but the chatter is along the same lines. Perhaps check back tomorrow for more.

That would be really too bad. TriColumbia puts on some great events for our area.
2014-03-04 8:46 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
And I just got a message that Racine Multisports has taken over the running of the Rocky Gap Triathlon in June, formerly a TriColumbia event. This is ominous. ... Though to be clear, Racine puts on a good show. I've done a couple of their events in Hagerstown, and they're fun, though not on the same scale as the TriColumbia events.
2014-03-05 6:41 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'm with MMTC, and it's all over our sounding board.  Like Colin said, nothing concrete but rumours abound. 

2014-03-05 7:48 AM

Baltimore, MD
Wow. I hope this isn't true. I'm signed up for the Columbia Tri. It was going to be my first Oly. I was hoping to do the Skipjack 75 during Chesapeake Man in Sept. If Tri-Columbia is no longer, I hope someone else picks it there events. If not, then there better be refunds.

Also - isn't the Rev3 HalfFull not happening this year? I wonder if there was a problem with Columbia/Howard County in some way.
2014-03-05 3:55 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Regular
Maryland
Originally posted by colinphillips

There's an active ST thread on this right now. Nothing concrete, but the chatter is along the same lines. Perhaps check back tomorrow for more.

That would be really too bad. TriColumbia puts on some great events for our area.

someone else mentioned the ST thread. What does ST stand for?

2014-03-05 8:16 PM
in reply to: Viyoung

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Slowtwitch. Its another triathlon forum
2014-03-07 10:08 AM
in reply to: schaumi

User image

this was posted in the Baltimore Business Journal yesterday

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2014/03/06/tricolumbia-ra...

the one quote that stood out:

"The organization closed registration to new athletes during the past week because it felt it was irresponsible to accept payment for races before it had crafted a plan to recover. "
2014-03-14 9:21 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
In case it hasn't already been discussed elsewhere, Columbia Tri events have been purchased by WTC. Looks like ChesapeakeMan may become an IM event.
2014-03-17 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4959631

Anyone with any more recent info on this? The last I heard was WTC had signed a letter of intent to purchase the events... Now local news says Ulmam cancer fund and maybe one other group wants the Howard County events. Nothing definite so far and still silence and a dead website from tricolumbia. I wonder if there are issues with transferring permits or something? I feel pretty confident that WTC will make sure Eagleman goes on. I feel less sure about Columbia and hope we get some concrete info soon as well as reopening registration.
2014-03-17 9:23 AM
in reply to: rrr8400

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
No news yet. I heard that UCF wanted to keep producing the events but I worry about their ability to do so since they cancelled Half Full for this year. I think WTC will keep Columbia, EM, Iron Girl since they are all WTC licensed events. I think they trim the fat with the others but ChesapeakeMan could become a Full IM at some point (maybe). IMO, I think its a good thing if WTC purchases all of the events. I dont think UCF has the $$ to do it.

2014-04-01 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
2014-04-02 7:37 AM

Baltimore, MD
I hope this all comes to pass. I'm paid up for Columbia, so I really hope that goes off. I'd hope to sign up for the Half at Chesapeake at the end of the year. Having races nearby is the only way I can continue to participate.
2014-04-02 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Saw this today....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/columbia/bs-md-ho-...

Oh man. This story is going to get uglier before it resolves.
2014-04-02 1:54 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by TheClaaaw

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Saw this today....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/columbia/bs-md-ho-...

Oh man. This story is going to get uglier before it resolves.

Oh yeah. In my line of work we have a saying "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck its a duck"

Not looking too good. The wife said she hear on FB that Columbia was cancelled this year but I think it was an April Fools joke lol
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Columbia No More??? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Columbia Tri registration opens 9/8 at 9:00am ! Pages: 1 2

Started by GaryGnu
Views: 2566 Posts: 36

2009-09-14 12:20 PM Dlaxman31

Columbia Tri Water Temp?

Started by jsselle
Views: 1575 Posts: 5

2009-05-14 7:55 AM MikesGonnaTri

Columbia Tri - meet and greet!!

Started by trishie
Views: 908 Posts: 3

2009-05-15 10:10 AM Daremo

Columbia Tri Course Ride on Sunday 4/12 Pages: 1 2

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 2172 Posts: 36

2009-04-12 6:22 PM Daremo

'09 Columbia Tri registration open.

Started by Daremo
Views: 993 Posts: 4

2008-08-04 12:31 PM Concretechris
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.