General Discussion Triathlon Talk » muscle gain while half ironman/ironman training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-04 7:33 PM

User image

Subject: muscle gain while half ironman/ironman training?
I've always been a very skinny guy, and at 21 sometimes I'd like to put on some muscle. With school, work, swim/bike/run, and just life in general..the gym gets pushed to the side (except for my core work and occasional base strength training). Anybody have any tips on gaining some muscle while still heavily training for triathlon? Possible? Any feedback would be appreciated!

2014-03-04 8:15 PM
in reply to: calebTris

Subject: RE: muscle gain while half ironman/ironman training?
I did a few solid years of Ironman training with absolutely NO strength training. Before starting I had no athletic ability (non-running, cycling or swimming background) and was probably as skinny as you. By the completion of my 3rd Ironman my thighs were noticeably larger and I had a V-shape to my back that had come out of nowhere. My chest and arms were quite a bit defined as well. And for the first time in my life I had calves (probably due to a focus on fore-foot striking while running). Everybody's physiology is different but I think a skinny person will inevitably put on a bit of muscle mass. Of course diet is another variable in the equation...

2014-03-04 8:24 PM
in reply to: mcstrangelove

User image

I've been at it with triathlon for 2 years now. I look like an athlete compared to 2 years ago, just no size! guess i shouldnt complain about being skinny though with triathlon!
2014-03-04 8:27 PM

not to worry, plenty of girls find the 'skinny' guy look sexy
2014-03-04 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4959667

User image

Extreme Veteran
I don't think it's realistic to train even somewhat seriously for HIM or IM and build muscle mass at the same time.
2014-03-04 9:20 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

You're not going to put on any serious muscle mass unless you spend a lot of time at the gym working on it and structure your diet accordingly.  Unfortunately that's at odds with getting faster at triathlon.  At some point you have to decide whether you're more interested in improving your triathlon results or looking good at the beach.

For most of my life I was concerned about getting bigger, but came to the realization a few years ago that if I wanted to get better at triathlon I needed to be spending less time at the gym an more time doing  S/B/R.

But just for the record, having a nice set of guns never hurts when trying to make a first impression with the ladies.

Mark

2014-03-04 9:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by wbattaile

I don't think it's realistic to train even somewhat seriously for HIM or IM and build muscle mass at the same time.

This. You will gain some mass from swimming and biking but if you're pushing 12-20 hour peak weeks, you just aren't going to have time to head to the gym and killing yourself with weights during these weeks and it could make for some difficult/bad workouts if your muscles are still torn up. Swimming 3-4x/week has made my back look great and biking has added a lot of definition to my thighs. Also, if you get super serious, be prepared for the cut veiny look, if you're already skinny.

Edited by Blastman 2014-03-04 9:49 PM
2014-03-05 8:43 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

DC
Originally posted by Blastman

Which is why I choose to balance my tri hobby w/strength training. I'm 6'0 & can walk around a healthy 145 lbs. That just ain't good for my self-confidence. I weight-train (free weights only) & use creatine. Some two weeks out before a race, I drop weight training & creaine (i.e., excess water). At least in my mind, I'm theoretically faster since I'm lighter on race day

Anyway, nothing wrong w/compromising a little bit of speed by hitting the gym.
2014-03-05 9:45 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

I am somewhat in this camp. When I cut out creatine and weights for about 2 months I dropped 15lbs. Sure some of it was water/fat and I ramped cardio up. I think some of it depends on your tri goals. For me, I am not a podium contender, so having some extra muscle/mass is ok and a fair tradeoff for what my tri times might otherwise be. Totally agree though there are only so many hrs in the day and workout time, so its a delicate balance and one that might be best split into season/offseason focus...good luck
2014-03-05 10:44 AM
in reply to: ilikepizza

User image

Originally posted by ilikepizza

I am somewhat in this camp. When I cut out creatine and weights for about 2 months I dropped 15lbs. Sure some of it was water/fat and I ramped cardio up. I think some of it depends on your tri goals. For me, I am not a podium contender, so having some extra muscle/mass is ok and a fair tradeoff for what my tri times might otherwise be. Totally agree though there are only so many hrs in the day and workout time, so its a delicate balance and one that might be best split into season/offseason focus...good luck

definitely! that's my problem. I'm a podium contender so in no way do I want to lose my speed! Sometimes just being very skinny has it's effect on self confidence to me when everyone else around me is bigger than me lol
2014-03-05 10:46 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Originally posted by Porfirio

Originally posted by Blastman

Which is why I choose to balance my tri hobby w/strength training. I'm 6'0 & can walk around a healthy 145 lbs. That just ain't good for my self-confidence. I weight-train (free weights only) & use creatine. Some two weeks out before a race, I drop weight training & creaine (i.e., excess water). At least in my mind, I'm theoretically faster since I'm lighter on race day

Anyway, nothing wrong w/compromising a little bit of speed by hitting the gym.

yeah, I try to stay in the gym at least 2 times a week even during heavy triathlon training. I'm 6'1 and 147lbs, very skinny frame. hurts the self confidence sometimes like you stated!

2014-03-05 12:59 PM

User image

When I decided to ramp it up from OLY to HIM distance a few years ago, I didn't have time for the gym (and at advice of BT Forum, didn't look back). Now I am trying to get back to the gym a few days a week - but I am not shooting for a HIM this season. Depends on your goals. Especially if you aren't going to be on the podium, being comfortable in your skin is OK - even if it means you trade some endurance training for gym time.
2014-03-05 6:06 PM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

I don't really see the point of gaining muscle for the sake of gaining muscle. If you do the IM training, you will get functionally stronger and build all the muscle you need. Cycling will build the legs, swimming the arms, back and lats... some people do core training to help overall.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » muscle gain while half ironman/ironman training? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman and Half Ironman Distance ?

Started by TriMan25
Views: 6199 Posts: 7

2012-07-02 6:56 AM Puppetmaster

Half Ironman before Full Ironman

Started by dmiller5
Views: 1134 Posts: 4

2012-06-19 10:17 AM BigDH

Conflicting training with Ironman and Half Ironman

Started by sshattuck
Views: 1076 Posts: 4

2010-05-09 5:32 PM sshattuck

Ironman and Half Ironman Swim Training Sets

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 2014 Posts: 13

2009-11-20 7:53 PM trix

ironman and half ironman

Started by davemadoch
Views: 950 Posts: 8

2007-04-20 2:17 PM davemadoch
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Inclusion is the key, with elements of the ride fulfilling the training and social needs of 95% of the membership. We have found that course selection, leadership have been the keys.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.