Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 4/
Swim
  • 09m 3s
  • 300 meters
  • 03m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first triathlon but compared to swim practices, this was by far…TERRIBLE. I started out pacing myself just like practice and I felt pretty smooth. About 75m in, the congestion started. There were people everywhere and passing was near impossible. I think the first half of the swim was freestyle and the second half was breaststroke…partly because of trying to pass and partly because getting out of my rhythm caused my breathing to skyrocket.
What would you do differently?:

I started 3rd from last thinking that my swim would be slow (and it was) but after the first time I passed, I let my breathing go and it all went downhill from there. Next time, I will stick to the game plan and focus on my stroke and breathing and forget about passing/being passed.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

T1 went well. There was a bit of a jog from the indoor pool out to the parking lot where transition was situated. The parking lot had a lot of loose gravel, so I took my time and gingerly ran so I wouldn't land my heel directly onto a rock. No wetsuit to remove since it was a pool swim. I did throw on my cycling jacket since it was pretty chilly outside and it was misting rain. This probably slowed me down a bit but kept my core temp up so I think it was worth it for me.

Nothing that I can think of…everything went pretty smoothly.
Bike
  • 52m 5s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 15.90 mile/hr
Comments:

It took a while getting onto the bike to loosen up and let my breathing get back to somewhere near normal. About a mile out, the road changed from asphalt to chip seal. That was terrible! Rough roads with lots of gravel. At some points, it was almost better to ride on the shoulder of the road since it was smoother and deal with even more gravel. A few people did get flats riding on the shoulder though. There was one fairly large (in my opinion anyway) climb that I had to shift down to the small ring but otherwise kept my cadence up on the big ring.

Try to loosen up prior to getting on the bike. Keep breathing under control in the first place.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

After getting off the bike, I was running into transition and racked my bike, looked up and there was my dad cheering me on. I pulled of my cycling jacket and was ready to head off….or so I thought. I got so side tracked with him talking to me and cheering me on, that I left my bike and started running out with my bike shoes on! Took 2 steps and realized I was an idiot, turned back and quickly changed shoes.

Focus on what I am doing and not try taking on the run course in my bike shoes
Run
  • 28m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Since it was fairly chilly (at least to me) and I had a death grip on the aerobars trying not to lose control on the slick roads, I got off the bike and felt like every muscle in my hands, forearms and lower back had tightened up. It took a good mile or so to loose up and feel good on the run. At this point I also realized that I had screwed up my garmin either getting out of the pool or in T1 so I have no idea what my pace in on the run and just went by feel. I probably could have pushed harder on the run as once I loosened up, I felt pretty good, but I was concerned as I had no idea what my pace actually was.

not sure if stretching a bit in T2 before taking off would be better in the long run or just slow me down even more. Don't completely screw up my watch or get used to running without having quick access to my pace. I used to be able to guestimate my pace but that was 20 years ago when I was running a LOT more.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. I walked from the finish line past the bananas, grabbed 2 and a cup of water. Walked over to my bike and met up with my dad. I grabbed my gear bag (I stashed a dry set of clothes in there) and took off to the ladies room to change into some dry clothes. After changing, I went back and packed up my gear and brought it all back to the car. Came back to listen to the awards ceremony and missed out on the pizza…it was all gone before the slowest of us even finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think my breathing during the swim really hampered the first part of the bike course for me. Once I got my breathing back into control, I started feeling pretty good.

Event comments:

Fair race. It was close to home and an early sprint distance. I want to get a few early races under my belt before the longer race I have planned this summer. The bike course was really rough and the post-race festivities were lacking. But the volunteers were FANTASTIC. They were posted everywhere and were awesome.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:03 | 300 meters | 03m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: This was a indoor pool swim. Snake course back and forth through the lanes
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:05 | 13.8 miles | 15.90 mile/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:41 | 03.1 miles | 09m 15s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-03-08 6:42 PM

User image

Subject: Athens Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Athens Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Athens YMCA Triathlon

Started by kpar
Views: 794 Posts: 3

2005-03-14 8:43 AM pkingfl

20th Annual Athens YMCA Triathlon

Started by tboepple
Views: 906 Posts: 2

2005-03-13 4:14 PM kpar

Athens YMCA Sprint

Started by kanoelani
Views: 1072 Posts: 4

2005-03-13 9:24 PM kanoelani

Athens YMCA Triathlon

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 1201 Posts: 1

2004-03-18 6:15 AM Tiger Phil

Athens Triathlon

Started by vmax3000
Views: 1040 Posts: 1

2004-03-14 11:15 AM vmax3000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.