in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: RE: swim kick

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

I hope I'm not as fast as I'm going to get.  But I do realize that my constraints (many self-imposed) do limit how fast I will get.  That works in all 3 sports.  Because the principles involved in endurance sports don't vary that much.  The complications all come when you take a specific individual and try to plot a path to take them where they want to go while managing a host of different constraints (some forced upon them, others self-selected).  The fewer constraints, the easier coaching becomes.

And of course I agree that there are some beginner triathletes that can more closely follow the kind of path your son is on.  Obviously, being young would help but even a few 'oldsters' can follow significant aspects of it.  Especially if they are really content to keep their big goals 'down the road' and be very patient with the process.  Although, I've been around the sport enough to know that those are the minority.

Most of us fall into "this is the way" when we post to some extent (myself, certainly included).  Because usually we don't want spend the time on a detailed explanation and all the caveats that might go along with what we post as if it's intended to apply to all athletes, in all situations.  Usually, people assume the fat of the bell curve unless directed to specifically assume otherwise (like when you ask a question related to your kid).  As bets go, that's one I'll take most of the time.

I agree with you completely on this point.  I would also add that "spending the time" is also on the reader to read and think through the points made by posters before responding in dissent.  

I try to be cognizant of this all the time because for an example, even though I know LB likes to stir the pot with his response style and will never miss an opportunity to brag on his kid, he does provide good thinking points.... If I merely skim his response without reading to comprehend, I may miss the fact he may toss in a conciliatory response (it's possible) or clarify a previous point that I would otherwise miss if I just chalked it up to LB being LB...  

As for message boards and the inherent risk for argument, I can't help but remember something my dad always said about communication in written form.  That being, it should be like a woman's skirt, long enough to cover the subject but short enough to be interesting.  

So even if you did spend time to cover every caveat, much of what you say might get missed anyway as disputes to your post are being busily typed...

I'm just glad there are so many viewpoints on this site so I can see the different perspectives. 

You know, it's really not bragging as much as it seems....although I get it.  The fact is, my eyes have been opened up WIDE in the last 3 years of being around elite triathletes.....not just Jr. Elite triathletes, but Elite triathletes of every level.  I get to spend time and talk to the father of the #1 ranked open water female swimmer in the world.  I get to sit and talk to athletes who are world champions, been to the olympics, trained world champions, etc.....the list is endless since my son has been accepted into those types of programs.  It's amazing the amount of work that has went into their successes......it's also facinating to listen to their stories about coaching, training, etc. 

Look, I'm proud of my son.......but I'm more of a fan.  I don't do the work. I don't train him. In order for me to pass on what I've seen from his training I have to use his times and methods......I know it's not useful to everyone, but I also know that some of it is, and I know from the PM's I get that some people want to know more about how he trained to get to the level he is at his age. He is an AG'er, yeah?  How he got to the top of his AG is information that some poeple are nterested in.

It really doesn't matter how I post the information, some people will get their feathers ruffled......well, I just hope I have never given the impression that I care one bit about that....because I don't worry at all about it.

You managed to make both my points in one post, a brag on your son and reiterating you don't care about opinions that differ from yours...

Seriously though, I'm ok with that as I've found a lot of good information from you on many different subjects... I'm not a frequent poster but I've been around a long time..  

Regarding your comment about hanging around with elite athletes, coaches, parents etc., that's pretty cool... 

2014-10-21 2:14 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

I hope I'm not as fast as I'm going to get.  But I do realize that my constraints (many self-imposed) do limit how fast I will get.  That works in all 3 sports.  Because the principles involved in endurance sports don't vary that much.  The complications all come when you take a specific individual and try to plot a path to take them where they want to go while managing a host of different constraints (some forced upon them, others self-selected).  The fewer constraints, the easier coaching becomes.

And of course I agree that there are some beginner triathletes that can more closely follow the kind of path your son is on.  Obviously, being young would help but even a few 'oldsters' can follow significant aspects of it.  Especially if they are really content to keep their big goals 'down the road' and be very patient with the process.  Although, I've been around the sport enough to know that those are the minority.

Most of us fall into "this is the way" when we post to some extent (myself, certainly included).  Because usually we don't want spend the time on a detailed explanation and all the caveats that might go along with what we post as if it's intended to apply to all athletes, in all situations.  Usually, people assume the fat of the bell curve unless directed to specifically assume otherwise (like when you ask a question related to your kid).  As bets go, that's one I'll take most of the time.

I agree with you completely on this point.  I would also add that "spending the time" is also on the reader to read and think through the points made by posters before responding in dissent.  

I try to be cognizant of this all the time because for an example, even though I know LB likes to stir the pot with his response style and will never miss an opportunity to brag on his kid, he does provide good thinking points.... If I merely skim his response without reading to comprehend, I may miss the fact he may toss in a conciliatory response (it's possible) or clarify a previous point that I would otherwise miss if I just chalked it up to LB being LB...  

As for message boards and the inherent risk for argument, I can't help but remember something my dad always said about communication in written form.  That being, it should be like a woman's skirt, long enough to cover the subject but short enough to be interesting.  

So even if you did spend time to cover every caveat, much of what you say might get missed anyway as disputes to your post are being busily typed...

I'm just glad there are so many viewpoints on this site so I can see the different perspectives. 

You know, it's really not bragging as much as it seems....although I get it.  The fact is, my eyes have been opened up WIDE in the last 3 years of being around elite triathletes.....not just Jr. Elite triathletes, but Elite triathletes of every level.  I get to spend time and talk to the father of the #1 ranked open water female swimmer in the world.  I get to sit and talk to athletes who are world champions, been to the olympics, trained world champions, etc.....the list is endless since my son has been accepted into those types of programs.  It's amazing the amount of work that has went into their successes......it's also facinating to listen to their stories about coaching, training, etc. 

Look, I'm proud of my son.......but I'm more of a fan.  I don't do the work. I don't train him. In order for me to pass on what I've seen from his training I have to use his times and methods......I know it's not useful to everyone, but I also know that some of it is, and I know from the PM's I get that some people want to know more about how he trained to get to the level he is at his age. He is an AG'er, yeah?  How he got to the top of his AG is information that some poeple are nterested in.

It really doesn't matter how I post the information, some people will get their feathers ruffled......well, I just hope I have never given the impression that I care one bit about that....because I don't worry at all about it.

You managed to make both my points in one post, a brag on your son and reiterating you don't care about opinions that differ from yours...

Seriously though, I'm ok with that as I've found a lot of good information from you on many different subjects... I'm not a frequent poster but I've been around a long time..  

Regarding your comment about hanging around with elite athletes, coaches, parents etc., that's pretty cool... 

HA!  I was just trying to make you look good.

2014-10-22 7:43 AM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Micawber Some of you might be interested in trying a kick drill that I've been given recently. It involves kicking on your back with a kick board held on the surface with your hands and extending toward your feet. The idea is to use your feet to boil the surface or even make white water, without hitting your knees on the board. Don't do a lot of this; it's just a drill to make sure you're not sticking your knees up too much.

I did this today and I really liked it.  Aiming was a bit of a challenge as my pool doesn't put the lane dividers in... I tried to follow conduit piping on the ceiling and occasionally looking up and back at my lane number however it wasn't perfect.... Another poster suggesting doing kick drills on your back with arms extended which I'll try next week.  Then I'll see if I want to do a bit of both, one or the other etc... Regardless I felt like I got more from the kick workout on my back than I did the "regular" way... 

The way i currently do drill workouts is sets consisting of 100 free, 100 kick and 100 pulls.  ~ 30 seconds rest between.  Then I finish the workout with several sets of 100 free trying to push my pace...

Wednesday is drill day as it's the one day per week we don't share the pool with the high school swim team so we don't typically have to share lanes...I'd probably not do kicking on my back if I had to share a lane... At least not yet...

I have a long way to go but the confidence is coming... 

Thanks for the tips.!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim kick Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

swim kick advice needed - Please!

Started by cwiehle
Views: 993 Posts: 8

2006-07-14 12:21 PM cwiehle

Another swim kick post

Started by altmizzle
Views: 970 Posts: 3

2005-01-19 11:34 PM altmizzle

Your Swim Kick...

Started by Hudnick
Views: 942 Posts: 6

2005-01-19 6:31 PM ChuckyFinster

swim kicking question

Started by auto208562
Views: 1056 Posts: 11

2005-01-04 1:35 PM kepola

First Tri Swim Kicked My $#@!^

Started by soupaman
Views: 1514 Posts: 17

2004-06-04 6:47 PM soupaman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 12, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
A strong kick matched with the opposing hand's entry can give your swim a boost

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Video of the six/three kick swim drill
date : December 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on further swim improvements, spicing up endurance swims, kicking for triathlon, pull buoy usage, not moving while kicking and rest intervals for fast/short sets.

date : June 17, 2008
It seems that if I swim that slow I begin to sink and I have to either kick or pull harder to compensate while my heart-rate starts going up. I find myself kicking too hard trying to keep afloat.
date : November 28, 2007
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : November 28, 2004
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.