KC, Missouri
United States
70F / 21C
Total Time = 1h 26m 21s
Overall Rank = 1/1
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Although this wasn't an official race, I haven't done a tri yet and I wanted to do a test at the distances for my sprint next week, but at lower than race intensity. I didn't want it to wipe me out so I couldn't train next week, but I wanted to at least get it in from start to finish. I had my wife drop me off at the rec center where I swim, then came up with a bike route that would put me at home so I could transition to run at home. I ate a powerbar about 30 min before we left for the rec center.
Event warmup:

I actually had to help someone move this morning. I got the bike and T1 gear into the van so that I could transition at the rec center. We drove to the rec center and I swam 50 yards before starting the timer on my watch.
Swim
  • 04m 43s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had to swim around some kids since this wasn't a scheduled race and both lap lanes were taken. Started out a little strong, but overall this felt pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Jumped out of the pool, grabbed my towel, and dried off a little while running to the locker room. Put on my heart rate monitor strap, bike jersey, gym shorts and flip flops and dodged the cheerleaders (like 200 little girls in some competition or something) as I walked to my van. Grabbed my helmet, sunglasses, bike gloves, and shoved off. I had my shoes clipped in already, but stepped into my left shoe then swung my leg over before slipping into the right.

Again, not a whole lot given the obstacles. I just tried to be slow and smooth and the time was better than I feared it might be.
Bike
  • 47m 18s
  • 13.25 miles
  • 16.81 mile/hr
Comments:

It took me a couple of miles to settle in and get my cadence/heart rate where I wanted it. Once that happened, just tried to keep my heart rate low. Had some wicked head winds that seemed to shift on me about half way through, so it felt like I had a head wind for about 3/4 of the ride. Other than the wind, it was a beautiful day and a decent ride. I could have pushed it harder if this was an actual race.

Instead of using tri shorts, I used some older bike shorts with a smaller chamois. It was fine in the pool and the run, but it took awhile to dry. Not really a huge deal, but I might invest in some tri shorts at some point.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

About .2 miles from my garage, I unstrapped my shoes but kept my feet inside. As I came to my driveway, I brought my right foot out and swung it over to the left side of the bike. I stopped, then took my left foot out, made sure the crank arms were at 3/9 so the shoes wouldn't drag, then racked my bike on the wall of my garage. I had my shoes on my garage floor with my sock condoms on top (before I started I put my socks on and rolled them down and off - works great to roll on with wet feet). I lost a few seconds wiping some dirt off my feet, but other than that this was smooth and pretty fast.

Again, not much. I think I'll make sure to have a towel at transition to wipe my feet off before I roll my socks on.
Run
  • 30m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Came off the bike feeling pretty good, but legs were a little tired. I've done a few brick workouts, so this feeling isn't completely new, but still a little weird. Took me about half a mile to feel like a runner. My goal was to take it slow so that I could train next week without any time off. Kept my heart rate at high Z2 as much as possible, but popped into low Z3 occasionally. Just wanted to get the distance done, and I know I could have pushed it a lot harder if this had been an actual race.

If this was a race, I would have pushed it and embraced the pain. For what my goals were today, I wouldn't have done anything different.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to my back porch and laid down in the shade and watched the clouds with my girls. Drank some water and ate some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It has been hard to get to the pool lately, and a knee issue has made getting quality rides in difficult, but for what I was going for today, this "race" was exactly what I was going for.

Event comments:

I feel good about my performance giving how life has affected my training.

Last updated: 2014-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:43 | 300 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/1
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:18 | 13.25 miles | 16.81 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: From rec center, looped around to get the distance, then to my house for T2.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:54 | 03.1 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Course: out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-03-15 3:54 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: Test Sprint Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Test Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 2177 Posts: 6

2006-06-20 8:28 PM Dlaxman31

South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri

Started by mlm2902
Views: 1375 Posts: 2

2006-06-22 4:36 AM Dlaxman31

Tri Park Series -- Fort Yargo Sprint Tri

Started by ayeong
Views: 1620 Posts: 10

2006-05-19 6:43 PM ayeong

GRAND HAVEN "Y" TRI, DU & SPRINT TRI

Started by mitrigirl
Views: 1052 Posts: 3

2005-07-13 3:43 PM trixie

Tri-Benbrook Sprint Tri

Started by jdd7734
Views: 1040 Posts: 3

2005-05-06 12:19 PM indiancrossover
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : March 4, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.
date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : August 17, 2007
author : mikericci
If you are just getting off the couch, chances are you aren’t in any shape for an all out 30 minute run or bike LT test. So, what should you do?

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.