General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit in the Pool. Dork Factor? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-17 3:09 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Wetsuit in the Pool. Dork Factor?

I'll add since I didn't see it.  Soak it BEFORE you get into the water as well.  Maybe the night before.  They can dry out after a lot of none use and sort of act like a sponge.  Better to let them saturate with clean water than chlorinated water.  Then like what everyone says, rinse well with cold water after.

I pre soak my wetsuit prior to every race, to be honest.

2014-03-17 3:23 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

I'll add since I didn't see it.  Soak it BEFORE you get into the water as well.  Maybe the night before.  They can dry out after a lot of none use and sort of act like a sponge.  Better to let them saturate with clean water than chlorinated water.  Then like what everyone says, rinse well with cold water after.

I pre soak my wetsuit prior to every race, to be honest.

So do I, but I don't  think that's what you meant.

2014-03-17 3:57 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Veteran
Rio Rancho, New Mexico

My new wetsuit came in last week and I swam in the heated indoor pool to make sure it fit and was comfortable.

It was roasting hot after 350yds. Just got out stood under a nice cold shower and rinsed it loads and left it at the end of the pool while I finished my swim. 

Another guy came in a little while later and said..."oh, got a new wetsuit?"...obviously he had done this before too.

So go for it. Check it out and don't worry what anyone thinks....life is too short to worry about stuff like that.

2014-03-17 3:59 PM
in reply to: Kenny Black

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kenny Black

My new wetsuit came in last week and I swam in the heated indoor pool to make sure it fit and was comfortable.

It was roasting hot after 350yds. Just got out stood under a nice cold shower and rinsed it loads and left it at the end of the pool while I finished my swim. 

Another guy came in a little while later and said..."oh, got a new wetsuit?"...obviously he had done this before too.

So go for it. Check it out and don't worry what anyone thinks....life is too short to worry about stuff like that.

My pool always has a bunch of people in rented wetsuits the week before Philly Tri. Always fun to see. And yes, you overheat really quickly.

2014-03-17 6:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I bought my wetsuit online last winter and wore it in the pool the day after it arrived. No one said anything and I didn't care if they did. I wanted to find out if it fit okay before I hit the open water. I let it soak in the tub for a while after I got home from the pool and it was good to go. Since then I have seen a few people trying out new wetsuits in the pool and think nothing of it.

And yes I know that I am a Dork, I go out in public wearing spandex tri and bike clothes.
2014-04-17 5:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
To the Elitists that frowns upon Wetsuit Pool Swimmers SUCK IT UP!!!!

http://vimeo.com/89803656

Edited by strykergt 2014-04-17 5:40 PM

2014-04-17 6:15 PM

Actually, only a dork factor if you wore it EVERY time you swam in the pool. (Chlorine not good for the wetsuit, overly warm, etc.)

No dork factor at all for those doing it once or even twice to make sure it fits. I see that and I think 'that's good preparation', total opposite of dork factor. 

You don't have to worry one bit about the chlorine breakdown if you're just doing a handful of test swims in the pool - wetsuits are much tougher than that. 

2014-04-18 7:51 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Am I a dork wearing a speedo every time I swim laps in the pool? Or are the guys that are swimming laps in board shorts that extend below their knees? I have worn my wetsuit in the pool a few times. Once was when I first got it - wow! It felt like I was cheating. I took it off after 500 yards to swim the rest of the workout. Occasional chlorine water probably causes less damage to a wetsuit than some of the water at open water swims!
2014-04-18 9:16 AM

Big time dork factor. However two things happened. First, you find out the other triathletes in the gym pool because they all have done the same thing. Also, you feel like a swimming champion. I have never swam so fast in my life!
2014-04-18 1:43 PM
in reply to: gatorcali21

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
First time I ever wore a wetsuit was in the pool. The wetsuit rep brought them to a local pool for us to try. Second time I ever wore a wetsuit was 1 week before my first half ironman. Just so I could see how it goes once before race day. Only real issue was I asked a co worker to zip me up in the locker room. he asked me never to do that again. .

Same token at my first tri a guy was trying to put it on and had no clue. Being at a race being helped on how a wetsuit works and how to get it on properly I think is worse than what people at the pool think of you taking a few laps in it.

Plus remember nothing new on race day.

2014-04-19 2:42 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Dork factor through the roof. I wore my wetsuit in the pool to test it out, then thoroughly rinsed it to make sure the chlorine was off.

Have you seen the clothes we wear? And you're worried about a wetsuit in a pool?

2014-04-19 5:57 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
DGAF man. I tried out my wetsuit for the first time in the pool.
2014-04-20 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Get it wet and hang it to dry before you try it. After rinse well...
2014-04-20 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
I did this for my first triathlon as I'd never swum in a wetsuit before, and I'm really glad that I did. Even though I'm an very experienced swimmer, it allowed me to get used to the extra buoyancy associated with a wetsuit before my first race. I rented a wetsuit and took it along to my local outdoor swimming pool, and didn't give a hoot what anyone thought of me. I washed the heck out of it in the showers afterwards to get rid of the chlorine though.

If anyone asks you, just say that you're trying out your new superhero suit to see how it does in the water

Just do it!
2014-04-21 1:18 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Originally posted by brucemorgan

When I was training for my first Ironman I did the full 2.4 mile swim in a heated pool wearing my wetsuit. That's about 84.5 laps (25 yard pool) so I went 85 laps hah!  Yes it was hot, I got out and poured cold water down the front a couple times. 

My swim confidence was fairly low at the time, so doing that swim was a big confidence builder. I'm glad I did it.

FYI you actually only swam 1.2 miles.   :p 

People will look at you weird but who cares? If your choice it is to get a few weird looks or not get any training in your wetsuit, it is not really a choice at all is it?

2014-04-21 7:45 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Yea, you'll be a bit of a dork, but who cares. You'll look and feel like more of a dork if you get to the race and the suit doesn't fit and you're standing there yanking on it and pulling on it trying to get a bad fitting suit to fit.

I got my suit for christmas a few years ago and needed to make sure it fit so I took it to the pool. My wife was with me at the time and sat on the deck. The lifeguard didn't know she was my wife. He came over to "talk" to her(think it was to hit on her) but trying to mock me for wearing a wet suit in the pool. She responded by saying he just got it and is training for an Ironman. He didn't say anything and walked away. I didn't feel like such a dork after that He sure did though.

I just swam a few laps, to make sure it fit. Afterwards I thoroughly rinsed it off in the shower to get all the chlorine off it. and 3 years later it still looks new. Chlorine is not going to hurt it for a few minutes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit in the Pool. Dork Factor? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Open water w/ wetsuit vs pool w/o wetsuit pace

Started by weiky
Views: 1773 Posts: 5

2013-08-05 11:40 AM guitarfrk75

Wetsuit OWS time v. No Wetsuit pool time

Started by Hoosierman
Views: 1424 Posts: 11

2011-12-15 6:40 AM hanzchloe

Geek Factor vs. Aero Factor

Started by GoFaster
Views: 1422 Posts: 14

2010-08-24 1:25 PM wbayek

Pool Dork Alert Pages: 1 2 3

Started by randomescape
Views: 4898 Posts: 54

2008-02-11 10:55 PM badnews

wetsuits in the pool?

Started by chris hughes
Views: 816 Posts: 6

2006-05-18 8:35 AM sappho96
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : June 17, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have about 9k miles on my bike, what needs to be done, checked or replaced to be sure it is in tip-top shape? I'm racing IM Canada this summer.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.