General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinning Class? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-19 6:21 PM

Subject: Spinning Class?
Hello All,

My local Y has a spinning Class that I'm thinking about joining. My race is in June and this will be my first Triathlon. (Mini Sprint) Do you think this would be beneficial?

2014-03-19 7:43 PM
in reply to: angewinte

Suwanee, Georgia
Subject: RE: Spinning Class?
Are you doing any training otherwise? I'm having a hard time thinking it'd *not* help in lieu of nothing. I balance my bike time in a spin class 2x a week, and road work 2x a week. Spin is fun until it's not. i find it's a good way to stay in shape without dodging traffic though.
2014-03-19 8:07 PM

User image

Absolutely! I love spin and attend twice per week. I try to focus on tough gears to prepare for moderate hills in our area. I also ride outside 3x per week. I notice some pretty good gains with 50 minute classes. You get what you put into spin class.
2014-03-19 8:45 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Absolutely beneficial, especially for a shorter race like a sprint or mini-sprint or as a hard interval session in general. I do one class a week in the winter (which is awfully long here in MN!) and it is usually my hardest workout of the week. I tend to do my own thing when the class diverges from more traditional biking and does bike push-ups or one leg things or you name it. As was said, you get what you put into it.
2014-03-20 7:19 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I like them. I needed a break from the trainer last night so I went and did 2 classes back to back. I always have fun and get a good workout in. Sometimes its nice to do something different in your training. For the first time, I wore my HR monitor to spin class. I got up to Z4 at times and my calories burned were not as much as when on the trainer but still got time into all my zones.
2014-03-20 8:08 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by angewinte

Hello All,

My local Y has a spinning Class that I'm thinking about joining. My race is in June and this will be my first Triathlon. (Mini Sprint) Do you think this would be beneficial?

Spinning and riding a bike are different. Spinning will help your fitness vs doing nothing, but you still have to get out on the road and ride a bike.

2014-03-26 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4968167

Thanks for the feedback. I've been to the class and man is it tough. I'm going to still do the spin class and balance out my week on my bike on my trainer if we have bad weather.
2014-03-27 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I love spin class.  I try to attend at least once, sometimes twice a week.  The weather here can be bi-polar so balancing outside vs inside riding is a challenge.

We have some great instructors and they do a good job of mixing up the music and pushing hard.  I usually wear my HRM too and I can get some crazy high numbers for brief periods of time.

Couple of cautions though:

Since the spin bike doesn't rock back and forth, some people really hammer on the pedals with their body weight and when the go outside on a real bike they can be off balance.

You need to make sure to get in outside riding time for cornering, wind resistance, heat, road bumps, etc.

Enjoy spin class but don't make it your only biking option.

I'm going to class today.  I like to get there about 10 minutes early and really work up a sweat before class.  That way I can get a solid hour of T.I.T.S.

2014-03-27 10:09 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Veteran
Agree with everyone above. I really like going to spin since it pushes my HR up as well as force me to do some things that I typically don't do enough of. It's a great way to mix things up. Typically after my class I jump on the treadmill and do about 20-25 minutes of work as a way to work on my run pacing.
2014-03-28 6:57 AM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Regular
you will get quite a few different opinions here about Spin. I find it useful and do it in the winter, balancing out from being on the trainer. I don't follow all the instructor calls, like the jumps up and down, but I follow it with my HRM and get a good workout. When the time comes to get out on the road, I find that I am in a good place training wise. mind you I am a MOP'er or front of BOP'er. As a first timer, do it, its better than doing nothing or riding a stationary bike.

2014-03-29 11:45 PM

Originally posted by angewinte

Hello All,

I do OLY distance events including some of the biggest races in the Mid-Atlantic area and do pretty well on the bike.....am always top 5 with overall bike time. I spend a lot of time at my day job so need to maximize my workout time. Will spend vast majority of my bike training time at the local fitness club spin classes....then will take the bike out a few times within two weeks of a race. Saves wear and tear on the bike too. Not saying this works for everyone but it works for me and whatever time you allocate should provide worthwhile results. Good luck in June.

2014-04-01 9:45 AM

User image

Spin is a great way to get in cycling when you can't get outside. Sometimes it is good to sit in the back of the class and kind of do your own thing. All of that get up, get down stuff gets old after a while. Most people show up to spin to get sweaty, and crushed. Be careful and wath out for all of that intensity. Mix it with some easier rides as well.

Best of luck on your first race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinning Class? Rss Feed