General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming with shoulder pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-20 7:06 PM

User image

Subject: Swimming with shoulder pain
Does anyone ever have shoulder pain ? A few years ago I tweaked something in my right shoulder lifting weights. Last year when doing the zero to 1-mile program my right shoulder flared up. I know swimming hasn't caused this issue, only made it worse Icing helps. Now it's flared up again after completing the mile. Done a lot of research on technique and preventative measures. What are your thoughts? Should I train through, get lessons, join a masters class, try bicycling through the water instead?

2014-03-24 8:17 PM
in reply to: JHiott

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Swimming with shoulder pain
I would find out the cause of the problem and fix that.
2014-03-27 3:06 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

I have to agree. There obviously seems like there is something going on! I know this is totally, 1990...but maybe instead of looking on the interwebs you should check with an M.D. (Although interwebs is less xpensive!)

I recently had shoulder surgery. What you're describing soundst like what I was experiencing. I had it looked at a year and a half ago and I was prescribed PT. Fast forward 1 1/2 years (with a pregnancy in between) and Dr. said it had progressed. If there is a tear or something similar, I don't think it's going to "work it's way out" by itself.

Good luck!

2014-04-01 5:26 PM

Huntington Beach
There is a ton of things that can cause shoulder issues... most commonly is dysfunction of the scapular muscles and areas attaching it to the spine... and these over the long term will present as rotator cuff issues. It's a common occurrence but honestly I can't tell you how many people will not strengthen the area. Maybe it is lack of education, time, money or whatever but if not addressed it will usually come back with higher frequency. Swimmer's shoulder is a really generic term for swimmer's with shoulder pain... enjoy http://www.p2sportscare.com/pain-relief-huntington-beach-ca/how-can...
2014-04-03 9:43 AM
in reply to: artmansg

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Regardless of cause... which you should find out... the shoulder is a very complicated joint and swimming stresses it.

It never hurts to do the most common swimmer's rehab exercises as a form of "prehab"....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming with shoulder pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

bad shoulder/deltoid pain with swimming :(

Started by pigfinn
Views: 1487 Posts: 2

2007-01-29 8:08 AM BbMoozer

Swim related shoulder pain

Started by CBarnes
Views: 995 Posts: 7

2007-01-21 10:16 PM Rowdy

Shoulder pain while swimming

Started by thikneck
Views: 1003 Posts: 3

2006-06-01 8:10 PM Rowdy

shoulder pain while swimming

Started by lyte
Views: 958 Posts: 7

2006-02-26 1:38 PM sappho96

Swimming and shoulder pain

Started by rdweir
Views: 1379 Posts: 18

2005-07-20 6:32 AM bezonkered
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : April 20, 2009
author : FitWerx
I went in for a fitting because I had been having chronic stabbing pain in my shoulder/neck whenever I ride for more than 30 minutes. I'm planning a half Ironman this summer, any help for this?
date : February 3, 2009
author : FitWerx
On my road bike after 45 minutes, I develop pain between my shoulder blades. It still persists unless I am on my tri bike.

date : October 15, 2008
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : July 15, 2008
I get a very bad shoulder pain (left side only) when on the bike for over 45 minutes. The pain seems to be between my shoulder blades but only on the left side.

date : July 9, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on swimming slower, swim golf, the fist drill and shoulder pain.
date : April 11, 2007
comments : 1
Most swimmers who develop shoulder pain do so because of relative rotator cuff and shoulder blade muscle strength deficiencies.

date : April 9, 2005
Differentiating between the different causes of rotator cuff-related pain is not important initially, because primary treatment for all of them is the same.