General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I run through a shin splint? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-23 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Can I run through a shin splint?
I suffered through plantar fascitis twice over the last 2 years and ran through it both times. It resolved after about 3 months both times and by the middle of the season I was able to have a decent year. My foot is fine this year but I have a shin splint on one leg that is killing me. I am 3 weeks out from a 70.3 so resting it for 6 weeks is not an option. Has anyone just dealt with the pain and run with a shin split and not suffered any long term consequence?

2014-03-23 9:51 AM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

New user
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Subject: RE: Can I run through a shin splint?
shin splints were one of the most painful things that has ever happened to my lower body. Probably not a good idea to just run through that pain.
2014-03-23 10:06 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
NO!!!! You're going to make it even worse if you continue running on it. Unfortunately, there's no other treatment than rest (plus ice….).

You may want to consult a doctor regarding the cause of the shin splints… it's more than likely a combination of running technique and shoe selection. And btw. I've found that softer shoes actually made it worse for me...
2014-03-23 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I've dealt with some minor shin splint problems in the past. I've usually been able to run through the problem by getting new shoes, running on soft surfaces, and reducing my pace. Although if things don't get better soon I would take some time off or see a doctor. My biggest concern every time I deal with shin splints is a possible stress fracture.
2014-03-23 10:35 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
^^^^^^^^^ This and you can also try compression calf sleeves, it helped me.
2014-03-23 11:30 AM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

Austin

^^^ firmer shoes, compression, ice and go to your chiro if you can. at least thats my advice. i used to have terrible shin splints, now i just hurt everywhere

2014-03-23 1:19 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by audiojan NO!!!! You're going to make it even worse if you continue running on it. Unfortunately, there's no other treatment than rest (plus ice….). You may want to consult a doctor regarding the cause of the shin splints… it's more than likely a combination of running technique and shoe selection. And btw. I've found that softer shoes actually made it worse for me...

That's the thing. Shin splints are a symptom, not a disease. There could be many things causing your shin pain. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have sucked it up and run with them, and because the cause of the pain was not serious or actually they just needed to run more/differently/less/better/etc. There are plenty of people who have sucked it up and run with them and resulted in serious, sometimes chronic injury, or it may have simply revealed the original cause or exacerbated what may not have been that serious to begin with into something serious.

A doctor is likely to tell you to stay off it (in terms of running), and/or treat it as a possible stress fracture. That's going to resolve most shin pain, fairly cheaply. It's probably better to do imaging if you want more definitive answers and possible "outs" for being able to do 70.3. Shin pain may very well be coming from a primary problem that's actually in the ankle/foot or knee (among many possibilities).

Another option is to do deep-water running. If you've had good run training and fitness to now, aquajogging is likely to retain much of that through the next 3 weeks, and then you could chance it for your shin to hold out during the race and hopefully not be too messy after. But aquajogging is not appropriate for some types of injury (another good reason to see a well-informed re. running physician).

2014-03-23 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Originally posted by EKH

I've dealt with some minor shin splint problems in the past. I've usually been able to run through the problem by getting new shoes, running on soft surfaces, and reducing my pace. Although if things don't get better soon I would take some time off or see a doctor. My biggest concern every time I deal with shin splints is a possible stress fracture.

This, every time I felt I was dealing with shin splints except once, it turned out to be a stress fracture is there any sign of a bump along the shin bone if so get it check for a fracture.
2014-03-23 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Thanks for the help. I really think I caused the problem by not changing my shoes quick enough. I swithed to Hokas and they really helped with my issues but they begain loosing support while I was on vacation in Mexico. (after 800 miles) I have a new pair coming tomorrow.
2014-03-24 7:31 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Memphis, TN
NO... I tried to run through it a few years ago an had to stop running all together and spent 3 months in PT. I didn't do a bone scan to see if I had a stress fracture but the PT said it was very likely. I had a knot in my shin the size of a golf ball. Not fun.

Shin splints ain't no joke.

Edited by Jtiger 2014-03-24 7:31 AM
2014-03-24 8:09 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
3 weeks from your 70.3.

Does riding make the shin worse?

If you were 100% focused on your event then I would rop all running. Keep up tyour swim and bike volumes and seek as much therapy for the shin as possible. mybe only add in some long walking sessions to keep your legs ticking over.

Then you have a chance of getting to the day and being able to complete the course.

my rbother in law had bad shin pain but it was not stress fratcure related. Just a referred pain from a calf injury. The physio took the hammer to his calf and fixed him up in a few visits.

i have had some calf pain recently (returning to running, too much to fat too soon etc). but was able to be confident it was not a true stress related injury (i.e. one needing rest). I could do 40 single leg lifts or other exercises that a true stress related shin injury would not allow.

2014-03-31 12:48 AM
in reply to: #4969688

I used to have a lot of problems with that, I think I solved by wearing my shoes less tight.
2014-03-31 7:29 AM

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Originally posted by pschriver

I suffered through plantar fascitis twice over the last 2 years and ran through it both times. It resolved after about 3 months both times and by the middle of the season I was able to have a decent year. My foot is fine this year but I have a shin splint on one leg that is killing me. I am 3 weeks out from a 70.3 so resting it for 6 weeks is not an option. Has anyone just dealt with the pain and run with a shin split and not suffered any long term consequence?

I ended up getting surgery because i thought i could run through this problem. i say lower your pace and take it easy. Once the shin splint starts i would stop running. I would also take a good look at your run mechanics .. Good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I run through a shin splint? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shin Splints

Started by Novo
Views: 1267 Posts: 11

2005-01-24 3:18 PM jtat17

Shin Splints?

Started by magi1821
Views: 1003 Posts: 9

2004-08-02 3:10 PM MJS

beginner off road tris and shin splints

Started by offrdtri
Views: 1208 Posts: 6

2004-04-09 9:17 AM MJS

shin splints

Started by beenbit
Views: 1602 Posts: 14

2004-03-15 4:11 PM MJS

Treadmill = Shin Splints

Started by Y-NOT-TRI
Views: 9664 Posts: 10

2004-01-23 11:36 AM wrybosome
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have a sharp pain in my leg. I feel this throughout daily activities and while sitting at my desk as well. It has been ongoing, progressively worse, and much much more intense the past few weeks.

date : July 23, 2012
comments : 3
Does wearing minimalist shoes put more stress on the ankles, shins and knee joints with the loss of padding from conventional running shoes?
date : September 9, 2010
comments : 1
What causes shin splints and what can I do to treat them and do compression socks work?

date : August 24, 2009
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.
date : October 7, 2008
author : blitzney
comments : 1
Home for the summer, lab tech college student trains and completes first triathlon!

date : May 12, 2008
I started having trouble a couple months ago with a tightness and almost numbness in my anterior left leg and top of foot during running. It feels sort of dead.
date : November 6, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Tips for completing the run portion of your first triathlon plus exercises and stretches to possibly help your shins.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
Shin splints occur in up to 13.1% of all runners. Sixty-percent of those presented with this complaint have errors in training.