General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garbage SC Legislation required bike insurance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-24 8:36 AM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Subject: Garbage SC Legislation required bike insurance

2014-03-24 4:29 PM
in reply to: navybeaver

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Garbage SC Legislation required bike insurance
she's gotten lots of negative feedback on facebook already… we all need to call early and call often!
2014-03-24 5:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Originally posted by navybeaver

This is unbelievable

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess120_2013-2014/bills/4923.htm

After dealing with some of the SC politicians it is very believable. We need to be very careful who we elect to represent us. If I was in Greenville County District 22 I would do my best to make sure she is no longer in office.

I got this from the Palmetto Cycling Coalition today:

"NO ACTION ON THIS BILL RIGHT NOW

PCC has been working on SC Bill H.4923 for the last 2 weeks behind the scenes and have almost finished this part of our full response strategy. We appreciate constituents are concerned about this bill and advise for all to hold off on contacting any legislators until we exhaust our behind the scenes work.

We know the bill is misguided and based on false logic that a bike is inherently dangerous. Bicyclists should never be required to carry liability insurance or be permitted because bikes are not inherently dangerous like cars are. Alternatively, education and enforcement are more effective strategies for encouraging legal use of bicycles as vehicles on roadways. We believe none of the bill makes sense and will work to keep any element of it from moving forward. "

I guess for now we should sit tight but in November, if you get a chance, consider voting her out.

Edited by pschriver 2014-03-24 5:31 PM
2014-03-24 5:41 PM
in reply to: hotalinge

User image

Master
Originally posted by hotalinge

she's gotten lots of negative feedback on facebook already… we all need to call early and call often!

Do you have a link to her Facebook page? I tried to find it but could only find her election page from 2010
2014-03-24 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4970065

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
2014-03-25 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I see that she pulled the bill due to the overwhelming response from the biking community.

I went to her facebook page and was furious to learn that she wanted to introduce this bill due to the increase of deaths on Mopeds. When did Mopeds get linked to bicycles?

2014-03-25 10:41 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Master
Originally posted by krazytallchick

I see that she pulled the bill due to the overwhelming response from the biking community.

I went to her facebook page and was furious to learn that she wanted to introduce this bill due to the increase of deaths on Mopeds. When did Mopeds get linked to bicycles?

Unfortunately that link between Mopeds and bicycles comes up frequently umongst the uninfomed. I am always surprised that the issue of mopeds seems to get swept under the table. I think she tried to revisit the issue by lumping it with bicycles. Either way, I am glad to hear the bill is dead for now, but if Rep Nunney is not smart enough to be able to tell the difference between a cyclist on a bike and a moped, I would not vote for her in the next election cycle.
2014-03-25 3:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
I didn't know it got pulled. I sent a letter to my representative to complain about the bill. They tried the same thing in Georgia and it got shot down.
2014-03-25 6:20 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is what the Palmetto Cycling Coalition is asking from us now.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/ACTION-ALERT--SC-Bill-H-4923.htm...

I really believe it all comes down to educating both the riders and motorists on how to share the road versus coming up another a law or bill that doesn't do anything.
2014-03-26 9:28 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Master
Originally posted by krazytallchick

This is what the Palmetto Cycling Coalition is asking from us now.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/ACTION-ALERT--SC-Bill-H-4923.htm...

I really believe it all comes down to educating both the riders and motorists on how to share the road versus coming up another a law or bill that doesn't do anything.

I agree 100%. Last Sat. while riding my bike I saw a person riding their bike into traffic while I was on the other side of the road. If a car had been approaching at that time they would have been forced into the middle of the road. It was really unsafe. Had the other person on the bike been approaching me, neither of us would have known which side to pass. Cyclist need education too
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garbage SC Legislation required bike insurance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike routes Hilton head island sc

Started by buckeyetri
Views: 817 Posts: 1

2012-07-14 3:20 PM buckeyetri

Myrtle Beach Training info - locals input required

Started by Ironbubba
Views: 1139 Posts: 1

2008-03-09 8:23 AM Ironbubba

Attn. Augusta, Ga./SC BTers

Started by gullahcracker
Views: 970 Posts: 1

2005-10-10 1:33 PM gullahcracker

Anyone done Hickory Knob in SC?

Started by tsmith
Views: 1007 Posts: 2

2005-10-06 5:00 PM gullahcracker

Hartsville SC Sprint Tri

Started by gullahcracker
Views: 1236 Posts: 2

2005-09-16 7:57 PM c2fd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.