General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't Want to Bulk-Up Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-29 11:42 PM

User image

New user
Lesmurdie, Perth
Subject: Don't Want to Bulk-Up
At the moment I am having to do more strength training than I would optimally like, due to current circumstances and I injuries. I do enjoy strength training, especially as a way to rid stress and uncomfortable emotions, but I fear that I will bulk up? Is become too bulky actually harder than people think? I do want to improve my body definition, endurance, strength of the muscles, so I have been doing sets of 3 with 10 - 15 repetitions with minimal rest as I jump between exercises to keep the heat high, will this help me attain thoughts goals, without bulking up?

2014-03-30 8:16 AM
in reply to: Oggi

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Don't Want to Bulk-Up

Are you eating in a surplus of calories?  The only way you're going to bulk up is to eat more calories than you're using.  Weight management is 90% diet.

2014-04-01 8:30 PM
in reply to: Oggi

User image

Denver, Colorado
There are so many if these threads and the answer is always the same.

You will only bulk up if you intentionally try to. You'll have to lift heavy, low reps, eat a surplus of calories, lift some more, eat tons more, and then lift again.

For 99% of us the "fear" of bulking up accidentally is not necessary. People have to try REALLY HARD to bulk up, chances are you'll maintain & improve the body image you want with this plan but you definitely won't get jacked, especially @ 10-15 reps / set.
2014-04-02 5:50 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Brian W There are so many if these threads and the answer is always the same. You will only bulk up if you intentionally try to. You'll have to lift heavy, low reps, eat a surplus of calories, lift some more, eat tons more, and then lift again. For 99% of us the "fear" of bulking up accidentally is not necessary. People have to try REALLY HARD to bulk up, chances are you'll maintain & improve the body image you want with this plan but you definitely won't get jacked, especially @ 10-15 reps / set.

x3, except for the bold part.  Heavy and low reps (generally 1-5) will result in hypertrophy, but usually not as effectively as will working in the 6-11 rep range with a little shorter rest interval.  Heavy with low reps generally maximizes strength improvements - think power lifters, not bodybuilders.

Otherwise, I agree with what the first two posters said.  Look at it this way:  to reduce body mass, you need to be in caloric deficit (burn more calories than you consume).  To increase body mass, whether it's muscle or fat, you need to be in caloric excess (consuming more calories than you're burning).  Your body can't grow bigger if it doesn't have the raw material to build it.  Everyone is always concerned about what the workout will do to their body, but nutrition is just as important part of the equation.

2014-04-03 9:03 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by Brian W There are so many if these threads and the answer is always the same. You will only bulk up if you intentionally try to. You'll have to lift heavy, low reps, eat a surplus of calories, lift some more, eat tons more, and then lift again. For 99% of us the "fear" of bulking up accidentally is not necessary. People have to try REALLY HARD to bulk up, chances are you'll maintain & improve the body image you want with this plan but you definitely won't get jacked, especially @ 10-15 reps / set.

x3, except for the bold part.  Heavy and low reps (generally 1-5) will result in hypertrophy, but usually not as effectively as will working in the 6-11 rep range with a little shorter rest interval.  Heavy with low reps generally maximizes strength improvements - think power lifters, not bodybuilders.

Otherwise, I agree with what the first two posters said.  Look at it this way:  to reduce body mass, you need to be in caloric deficit (burn more calories than you consume).  To increase body mass, whether it's muscle or fat, you need to be in caloric excess (consuming more calories than you're burning).  Your body can't grow bigger if it doesn't have the raw material to build it.  Everyone is always concerned about what the workout will do to their body, but nutrition is just as important part of the equation.

Good point. I had my Olympic lifting, million calories a day, Russian power lifter friend in mind when writing the post.
2014-05-08 2:27 PM
in reply to: Brian W

It's very difficult to just bulk up from lifting a bit more weight than usual. You have to really lift extra heavy and be eating mass mounts while also adding more protein into your diet to truly see the bulking effect. Lifting regular sets here and there will not harm you but if you want follow along with a lifting program that is meant to tone you I'd go to a group ex class. A high rep, low weight, weight lifting class is your best bet! Body pump is one of the most popular ones out there but gyms have all sorts of names for the same kind of class. It gets your heart rate up as well, so you are really working on fat burning and muscle toning for targeted areas.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't Want to Bulk-Up Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fear of Bulking Up

Started by Oggi
Views: 1191 Posts: 5

2014-03-05 4:48 AM uhcoog

Benefits of push-ups and dips

Started by aquariusmediaaseo
Views: 2869 Posts: 4

2011-11-21 8:40 AM uhcoog

lifting to loose muscle bulk