United States
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 52s
Overall Rank = 30/106
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/7
Pre-race routine:

Did packet pickup and drove the bike course the night before. Packed everything that night. Woke up about 5:30 to eat, shower, and get dressed. Left at 6:30 and drove the 30 min to the race. Picked a decent transition spot, set up my things then went inside.
Event warmup:

Sit down, stretch, and try and stay warm. There was frost on the grass in transition, and the breeze was cold. Things started to warm up pretty quickly once the sun was out, but the prerace meeting was cold on the feet. Did a few arm circles and stretches to warm up, but that was it. Lined up according to swim time (self seeded).
Swim
  • 04m 54s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decent swim. Had us self seed then started swimmers every 15 seconds. As this is my first tri, it was a little weird starting in front of that many people who had so much more tri experience than me. I caught up to the two people in front of me after about 150 yards, but didn't want to have to sprint to get ahead of them, so I just cruised the rest of the way. Timing mats were just outside of transition, so this time includes about 20 sec of getting through transition.
What would you do differently?:

Go in front of the ladies who said they had the same time as me :).
Transition 1
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

Decent transition. Dropped my goggles and put on my sunglasses and helmet. Things seemed to go so fast that I took about 5 seconds to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. I had my shoes rubberbanded on the bike, but just to stay out of the way while I got to the mount line. Jogged with bike past mount line, got my feet in the shoes and took off. Biked for about a mile before strapping shoes completely on.

Not take the time to overthink. Rubberbands worked great. Maybe velcro shoes a little sooner. Although, getting second overall on T1 in my first tri seems decent.
Bike
  • 46m 56s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 17.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent course. The roads were a little crappy at times, and although they had one lane blocked off on the main roads, crossing the road to get to the blocked off lane was sketchy - the volunteers were there but weren't very proactive about stopping traffic and waiving me through, so I had to slow way down to make sure I wouldn't get flattened.
The wind wasn't too bad, but it seemed to switch so that I had a headwind about 65% of the time. Again, not a huge head wind but it was disappointing to not have the tailwind on the way back.
My only complaint about the course (other than the bad road section) is the layout made it so that you couldn't take advantage of the hills. We had to ride up the hills, then on the way back the hill ended at a turn, so you couldn't capitalize on that speed.

Push harder. As this was my first tri, I was a little conservative (read too many race reports about people overcooking the bike and getting killed on the run). As my run is my weakest area, I wanted to make sure i could have a decent run. In hindsight, i could have pushed a lot harder and been just fine.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Racked bike and sat down to put on socks and shoes. Put one shoe on then realized I still had my helmet on. Took that off, put on other sock and shoe and took off. Run out of transition was up a slippery hill.

Not much. Legs felt tired after the bike, but not too bad.
Run
  • 26m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off too fast and felt a little sick to my stomach around half a mile in. Backed off a little, then things got better. Held back a little to make sure I could finish strong. Ran the whole way, and negative split every mile.

Again, in hindsight, I could have pushed this much harder, but for my first race, I'm pretty happy with it. Just need to keep working on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged and kissed my wife and girls who were there to support me. Drank a couple of chocolate milks and walked around a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Real life got in the way of training for a couple of months. Clearly my bike/run are my weak points, and I need to focus on those. The competition was much more difficult this year as my time from this year would have won my age group (not come in last :)).

Event comments:

This was a great race, and an awesome place for my first tri. The volunteers were amazing and all over the place. Overall, very happy with my effort. I had a goal of going sub 1:20:00, and I made that (though just barely).

Last updated: 2014-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:54 | 300 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 8/106
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Indoor snake swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:56 | 13.5 miles | 17.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/7
Overall: 34/106
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:56 | 03.1 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/7
Overall: 35/106
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-03-31 3:38 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: Neosho Sprint Triathlon

2014-03-31 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4974304

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Neosho Sprint Triathlon

Great job Dan, congratulations on your first tri!!

2014-03-31 4:28 PM
in reply to: #4974304

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Neosho Sprint Triathlon

Wow, those are some speedy times....and last in your AG?  Crazy!!  I guess it just goes to show that it's all about who shows up on that day.

Congrats on your first race!  Hope you enjoyed it and will be back for more!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Neosho Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Neosho Sprint Triathlon

Started by BoobieDr
Views: 749 Posts: 1

2013-03-31 9:12 AM BoobieDr

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 (Triathlon - Sprint)

Started by kwc98
Views: 1508 Posts: 1

2010-05-25 5:57 AM kwc98

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 (Triathlon - Sprint)

Started by b2673ad
Views: 2055 Posts: 4

2010-06-01 11:23 AM drphungky

Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Sprint Distance (Triathlon - Sprint)

Started by jamievalocchi
Views: 1348 Posts: 1

2008-10-30 1:35 PM jamievalocchi

Las Palomas Triathlon at Rocky Point - Sprint Distance (Triathlon - Sprint)

Started by ABQkid
Views: 2070 Posts: 2

2007-05-10 10:01 PM lobo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.