General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I Train for a Marathon and Oly Tri at same time? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-01 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Can I Train for a Marathon and Oly Tri at same time?
Hi all,
I have been running consistently for about a year, not far, but every other day. Not biking. I did the Lk George Olympic tri a while ago, and know it's not easy, but was thinking of doing it before my NYC marathon. I know I can be ready for the swim, since we have a ton of lakes around here, and I swim all of the time in the summer.

The tri is the last weekend of August, the marathon the beginning of November. I am looking for something to do since I can't run more than 4 days a week (I'm 52, want to preserve my knees) and I love to swim.

Ideas of whether this is smart? Stupid? Neither? Both?

Thanks,
Nancy

2014-04-01 1:41 PM
in reply to: nancylee

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Can I Train for a Marathon and Oly Tri at same time?
a few things I can think of, first how did you do in the Oly race ? and second have you done a marathon before ? those would say a lot about what you should do.

since the LG Oly is late Aug and the NYC Marathon early Nov, I don't think it should be an issue to do both. Your heavy run volume will be mostly in late Sept / Oct so plenty of time to recover from the Oly and get back on track.

I'd have a training plan worked out for both races, making sure you get enough running in with out over training during the overlap.

There's certainly a benefit to the cross training for running. Swimming is always a plus in my book. Cycling also seems to help a lot too.
2014-04-01 2:34 PM

Chicago

Your schedule is pretty much what I'm doing. I have a HIM in either late July or early Aug then I have a marathon mid-October.  Coming off the triathlon, I'm going to jump right into my typical marathon training plan because the overlap for me is only about 3 weeks of low miles I'll have missed. 

Training for the 10k run for the Oly, personally, is such a different beast than my half marathon or marathon miles/intensity though. Just my two cents-- if you're not going far in your current running, that just means you're going to have to focus on your long run after the Oly so you can gradually increase your mileage up to getting an 18-20 miler in and working on your marathon race pace. 

2014-04-01 3:44 PM
in reply to: NewfangledDad

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi,
Thank you for your advice and help.

I have never done a marathon before, and I'm figuring at least 5 Hours for it, the tri weekend would be an easy weekend! I agree that the cross training will be good. I need to decide like right now, as I have to get up to a mile swim, which took me about 4 months the first time. I find the bike training the hardest, though, mentally, because I worry about getting hit a lot!

Appreciate you sharing your knowledge,
Nancy
2014-04-01 3:57 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I think what you are proposing is very doable and should be a fun, rewarding experience.

For the marathon, lots of easy base miles will not only put you in good shape for the marathon but will do wonders for your shorter Oly run leg.  Running often and easy will also help preserve your knees.

For your bike training, would you consider doing more on a trainer?  I too worry about getting hit and now do most of my training on the trainer safely in front of my TV.  You still need to occasionally get on the road to keep your handling skills but fitness-wise a trainer can be very productive.

I have been on a running focus over the Winter and have found it difficult to start getting my planned 3 swims and 3 rides done while keeping up as much as possible my run volume.  It can become a bit of a juggling act to do both.  I think if you could manage 4 runs/3 swims/3 rides a week you would be in great shape.  Good luck.

2014-04-01 5:56 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

In my opinion the two goals should be done separately. The marathon requires some commitment and I think it's hard to also be training for a triathlon beforehand. Certainly you can do the cross-training to supplement your four runs per week, but I think it would be hard to get in the quality and volume of cycling you need to do well in the tri without sacrificing some of the run training.

2014-04-01 8:54 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Definitely can be done. I followed up an Olympic Triathlon in 2011 with a marathon a few weeks later. Some issues with my knee wound up being a bit o f a limiter, but I still managed a PR on the marathon. Here's my experience in nauseating detail if you're interested in seeing more.
http://trited.blogspot.com/2012/02/can-you-cross-train-your-way-to....
2014-04-01 9:09 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks, all! Yes, my worry is not getting enough running in. I,don't want the bike to tire my legs out too much.

I'll go,read the reports, I need a schedule!
Thanks,
Nancy
2014-04-01 9:35 PM
in reply to: 0

Look at the dates, create a plan that you think will work for you, and that should tell you whether you'll be able to do both. First, find yourself a beginners marathon plan. Using the date of your marathon and the beginner's plan, find out when the training should begin. It is very likely that there will be overlap with your last race in August. If it overlaps its not a big deal. The only thing I would suggest, is that for the weeks they overlap, make sure your running miles per week and long run distance match the marathon plan and sacrifice some swim/bike time if necessary.

Edited by ziggie204 2014-04-01 9:35 PM
2014-04-03 3:13 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks, Ziggie! I appreciate you being so specific, as the details get me!
Nancy
2014-04-03 9:08 AM

User image

Groton, New York
I've got pretty much the same schedule planned for my summer....Cayuga Oly tri in the beginning of August and the Corning Wineglass Marathon in the beginning of October. I think the recommendation of the bike workouts on the trainer are good. You definitely want to get the biking in. It can only help out your legs.

2014-04-03 10:22 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

New user

Originally posted by ziggie204

Look at the dates, create a plan that you think will work for you, and that should tell you whether you'll be able to do both. First, find yourself a beginners marathon plan. Using the date of your marathon and the beginner's plan, find out when the training should begin. It is very likely that there will be overlap with your last race in August. If it overlaps its not a big deal. The only thing I would suggest, is that for the weeks they overlap, make sure your running miles per week and long run distance match the marathon plan and sacrifice some swim/bike time if necessary.

This ^^. Did an Oly in September last year and then ran the Philly Marathon in November. It was my first marathon (at 55 yo) and I upped the mileage after the Oly but felt behind on the marathon training. In looking back would have focused more on the run training earlier on. Ran 3:52:00 in the marathon but with some pain at the end and think getting more mileage in would have made me better prepared,
2014-04-03 10:35 AM
in reply to: keqwow

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
in 2012 my longest "run" for the marathon was my Oly triathlon. I like to think of an Oly tri like running 16 miles.

Your goals are important. If you are not trying to win in your a/g then I say training for a triathlon during your marathon is great. The other way around does not help as much.

When was doing my intense triathlon training my runs were never over 5 miles and I pred at every marathon. That is when I did a 50k and 3 marathons in 7 weeks followed by a HIM 3 weeks after that. Just make sure you stretch. Key to that period was putting in way more time than I would have doing the 3 sports than I would have with just the running.

2014-04-04 9:26 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

New user
Key West
My two cents is that if you have knee problems and really can only run four days a week, you should reconsider running a marathon. You just simply have to get the base miles in training so that you don't seriously hurt yourself on your long runs in prep for the marathon. I am a 60 y.o. female and have been running for about 33 years and participating in triathlons on and off most of that time. Last marathon was 23 years ago but I am now training for one coming up June 1. What I have done, not only to keep my basic triathlon fitness maintained, but also to have an easy day, is that I run 5 days a week and the 6th day I swim and/or bike. Then one day of complete rest. When I was in my 30's and before I didn't need that extra day of rest, but do now. This is just a suggestion, but as someone who has spent a lifetime training I can tell you that after a certain age you can't really BS your way through a marathon and have to decide if you are going to do it, to train for that specifically. The one day a week I devote to the other disciplines in the TRI is enough for me to do alright in shorter races like an OLY or a Sprint, but certainly wouldn't get me through a HIM. It also won't necessarily put me on the podium depending on how many old ladies there are, but I can still participate and enjoy it.

Once this marathon training cycle is over, it's back to TRI training. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I Train for a Marathon and Oly Tri at same time? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Average time for oly tri

Started by Havajava
Views: 774 Posts: 4

2011-07-06 7:59 AM Bodaggit

timing the training for a sprint, 1/2 mary and oly

Started by lmscozz
Views: 651 Posts: 8

2008-07-15 11:18 AM Winston63

Marathon w/Oly Training--Bike Q

Started by TriAya
Views: 960 Posts: 6

2007-06-19 5:43 PM TriAya

Training for 1/2 mary at same time as oly distance

Started by Mr. Freeze
Views: 917 Posts: 6

2006-12-04 10:26 AM RedCorvette

Marathon training question: replacing a long run with an oly distance tri

Started by MobAlTri
Views: 1073 Posts: 7

2006-04-27 7:53 AM BeCivil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : August 5, 2010
I had hoped to break 1:30 this year but now would be happy just to break 1:34. My question is in my limited time I have left do I concentrate on speed work or endurance?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : May 1, 2006
author : mikericci
I'm in decent shape and have no weight to lose but have absolutely no tri experience, what’s the best plan of attack that won't put me back in the waiting room?

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?