General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which Garmin/Other Device for first Ironman Training Season?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-04-03 6:53 AM

User image

Subject: Which Garmin/Other Device for first Ironman Training Season??
I use the old Garmin Forerunner and have for years but wanting to upgrade to something that can track my swims, runs, and bikes all on one device. Would also love something that I can connect to my wheel and figure out my output during bike rides. I do not have the budget for a power meter but want to get something that will still provide me with solid feedback. Also, a heart rate monitor would be nice. Any recommendations? What do you use? Why? I am not a "scientific" athlete and train with a solid group so I am always getting the quality workouts but just have no idea how to judge when I go out alone. I will see a lot more alone time this year with the IM training (my first time).

Thanks!

Edited by midwesttrimom 2014-04-03 6:53 AM

2014-04-03 8:44 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Which Garmin/Other Device for first Ironman Training Season??
I use the 910. It gives me all the data that I can use, plus if I ever get a power meter, it will display power. Also, for the race, has enough battery to last entire race.
2014-04-03 9:25 AM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by kmac1346

I use the 910. It gives me all the data that I can use, plus if I ever get a power meter, it will display power. Also, for the race, has enough battery to last entire race.

+1, I also like the ability to track my distance when swimming in Open Water.
2014-04-03 12:11 PM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Originally posted by rick4657

Do you use this on your bike anyway, even though it's not technically a "power meter"? If so, what does it track? OR, do you just wear it while biking and it tracks just like the Forerunner did? I am just debating whether spending $400 is worth simply having that open water/pool distance component since my Garmin already has the capability of tracking run and bike. Any insight? Did you have the old Forerunner originally, too?

THANKS for the input. Appreciate it.
2014-04-03 1:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

Do you use this on your bike anyway, even though it's not technically a "power meter"? If so, what does it track? OR, do you just wear it while biking and it tracks just like the Forerunner did? I am just debating whether spending $400 is worth simply having that open water/pool distance component since my Garmin already has the capability of tracking run and bike. Any insight? Did you have the old Forerunner originally, too?

I do not have a power meter but do use it with a HR monitor and GSC-10 cadence sensor on my bike. The 910xt is my fourth Garmin I had the original 201, 405 (Repaired/replaced 3 times, IMO - poorly made), 310xt - lasted 2 years.

Edited by rick4657 2014-04-03 1:07 PM
2014-04-03 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

I went from the Garmin 305 which I couldn't use during the swim for races. The 910 lets me do that. I don't really use if for swim training though. On the bike, I use it as my primary (only) bike computer. It for me, tracks HR, cadence, speed, etc. Cadence for me is important for when I ride the trainer. As it aged, my old 305 barely had enough battery to use during a HIM, so wouldn't have worked for a IM.

I don't know if that would make it worthwhile for you.

2014-04-04 12:40 PM

User image

I went from the Garmin 305 which I couldn't use during the swim for races. The 910 lets me do that. I don't really use if for swim training though. On the bike, I use it as my primary (only) bike computer. It for me, tracks HR, cadence, speed, etc. Cadence for me is important for when I ride the trainer. As it aged, my old 305 barely had enough battery to use during a HIM, so wouldn't have worked for a IM.

I don't know if that would make it worthwhile for you.

That may, actually, because now that you say that, but Garmin 305 doesn't even make it through more than one regular run. If I don't shut it down it will make it through a 2-3 hour run but once I shut it off it says low battery the very next time I go to use it (every time). Tough decisions and there is so much money to be spent this year with triathlon!
2014-04-08 10:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I use the 310XT and have been pretty happy with it.  You can swim with it though it doesn't track your distance.  On the bike it will track distance, HR, HR Zones, cadence, speed, etc as well as elevation gain.  Run is the same.

If you do go to power down the road on the bike, it is ANT+ compatible and will display and track your power outputs.  For the time being though you could see some true value by training by heart rate on the bike.  You can also do the same on the run, though I prefer to train more by pace a la Daniels' vDOT suggestions.

That being said, if you can get all of that with your current Garmin, there's not much need to upgrade.  I think the swim tracking function of the 910 is a nice feature but not necessary.

Edited by FF Stock 2014-04-08 10:36 PM
2014-04-09 12:42 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Another vote for the 910xt. The only device you will ever need.
2014-04-09 10:05 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
I come from the world of redundancy.

I have the 310xt and the 910xt. Both are fantastic options. DCrainmaker did a great review on both, and I suggest you read them. Of the 2, I honestly like the 310xt better... it lasts longer and is easier to read. During my races I use both so there is a backup just in case.
2014-04-11 8:30 AM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
For actual training I like to use specific devices for the task at hand: garmin 800 on the bike (power, maps, routing, elevation look-ahead, etc). If I were in the market now I would probably hold out for the 1000 for training, but probably still use the 800 for racing. For running I use a garmin 610 - the form factor and battery life are great. I have a 310 but hardly ever use it any more. For racing I just grab the 610 along with visor, glasses and race belt and put it on as I am headed out of t2. If I were in the market today I would definitely look at the 620. My wife has been using one for the past several months and it is very slick. For swimming in the pool I use the pace clock. For OWS I use an old timex ironman sports watch - I am not really that obsessed with knowing exactly how far I have swam - more interested in time and effort. That said I do sometimes toss the 310 into the ISHOF safe swimmer that I always tow around when OWS - that always seems to give a much better track than even the 910s my partners use.

You specifically asked about training so this might be a bit of a hijack, but you also want to think about what you want to do for racing. I am way in the minority on this usually, but I wouldn't really worry about having a device that you can use through the whole race: in every race you do they keep very good timing records and will typically have clocks everywhere, and if you are really racing knowing your time on the course shouldn't really change your race: you should be watching effort, power, HR, etc and just do what you have trained to do. Besides, we spend a lot of time (and $$$!) getting as hydrodynamic in the water and as aero as possible on the bike, but then we feel inclined to strap a giant brick on our wrist that can effectively negate a fair amount of this work and expense come race day. In an IM this could actually mean several minutes. So for me anyway keeping a real-time running tab on my time on the course is not worth it, but I do understand that it can play a big psychological benefit for some folks despite the actual time it may cause you to lose. My simple suggestion is to not just fall into the default position that a multisport all-in-on watch on race day is better, but instead really think through both the psychological and aero l benefits and whatever will make you faster overall.

2014-04-28 4:10 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy

For actual training I like to use specific devices for the task at hand: garmin 800 on the bike (power, maps, routing, elevation look-ahead, etc). If I were in the market now I would probably hold out for the 1000 for training, but probably still use the 800 for racing. For running I use a garmin 610 - the form factor and battery life are great. I have a 310 but hardly ever use it any more. For racing I just grab the 610 along with visor, glasses and race belt and put it on as I am headed out of t2. If I were in the market today I would definitely look at the 620. My wife has been using one for the past several months and it is very slick. For swimming in the pool I use the pace clock. For OWS I use an old timex ironman sports watch - I am not really that obsessed with knowing exactly how far I have swam - more interested in time and effort. That said I do sometimes toss the 310 into the ISHOF safe swimmer that I always tow around when OWS - that always seems to give a much better track than even the 910s my partners use.

You specifically asked about training so this might be a bit of a hijack, but you also want to think about what you want to do for racing. I am way in the minority on this usually, but I wouldn't really worry about having a device that you can use through the whole race: in every race you do they keep very good timing records and will typically have clocks everywhere, and if you are really racing knowing your time on the course shouldn't really change your race: you should be watching effort, power, HR, etc and just do what you have trained to do. Besides, we spend a lot of time (and $$$!) getting as hydrodynamic in the water and as aero as possible on the bike, but then we feel inclined to strap a giant brick on our wrist that can effectively negate a fair amount of this work and expense come race day. In an IM this could actually mean several minutes. So for me anyway keeping a real-time running tab on my time on the course is not worth it, but I do understand that it can play a big psychological benefit for some folks despite the actual time it may cause you to lose. My simple suggestion is to not just fall into the default position that a multisport all-in-on watch on race day is better, but instead really think through both the psychological and aero l benefits and whatever will make you faster overall.

You make a good point and I probably don't really need it for the race. The thought of something getting stuck under my wet suit and possibly falling off while I am stripping down stresses me out. Less is more for my race, for sure. My transitions are mediocre at best! Less will help me get through the race faster. My Garmin has been malfunctioning so was thinking of getting the one that is for all three disciplines. Wondering if you have used one on your bike INSTEAD of your bike computer? I cannot afford to get a power meter, like I said, and up to this point I have always gone off of how I feel. Never had any issues and felt great during the run at my HIM. But, with that being said, I would be lying if I didn't say this scares me for the full IM. I don't have a clue about HR training. I know my own zones because I read up on it and did some personal testing but who knows if it's accurate. I train with a very competitive group so I get plenty of speed workouts, tempo, etc. Even our 3 hour rides are typically fairly hard. Beyond that, though, I don't know and I would be devastated if I crashed on race day because I didn't look into it. I also use the Timex Ironman watch for my swimming. When I OWS I simply go off of time because I typically still use a course that is already planned out so I know the distance. And, I race enough that I tend to use those experiences to get me race ready. I do LOVE having my running device on for the run as it keeps me honest and I am more likely to push. I always use my regular bike computer and use RPMs for that. I have a lot to learn, unfortunately, and not a lot of time to learn it with my schedule, kids, etc.! Hee hee.
2014-04-28 4:14 PM

User image

So, is this 910 made so that you can purchase a power meter that connects to it somehow? I have no idea how all of these new gadgets work. ) Never really needed the power meter or anything before but so scared I will burn my legs out during my full IM as it's so different than a HIM. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
2014-04-28 4:18 PM
in reply to: FF Stock

User image

Originally posted by FF Stock

I use the 310XT and have been pretty happy with it.  You can swim with it though it doesn't track your distance.  On the bike it will track distance, HR, HR Zones, cadence, speed, etc as well as elevation gain.  Run is the same.

If you do go to power down the road on the bike, it is ANT+ compatible and will display and track your power outputs.  For the time being though you could see some true value by training by heart rate on the bike.  You can also do the same on the run, though I prefer to train more by pace a la Daniels' vDOT suggestions.

That being said, if you can get all of that with your current Garmin, there's not much need to upgrade.  I think the swim tracking function of the 910 is a nice feature but not necessary.

Hypothetically, if you were me, would you get a kit so you can mount your Garmin onto your bike in place of a computer or would you simply
wear it on your wrist. I used mine on the bike for the first time today and it seemed to work okay. It's still malfunctioning a bit during my runs and only lasts about 3 hours. However, during a race I may only use it on the run and go off an old bike computer to see time. Not super concerned about pace during my full IM as I hope to finish, feel good, and have a decent run. Thanks!
2014-04-28 4:30 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Jen

Just to add, I have two brother in law that got me into Tri'ing for IM. One of them is a paranoid Tekki armed his bike with Garmin to the tooth just finished IMAZ'13 my other brother in law here in town just did backward training all he had was a Casio stop watch and a Cats eye that came with the bike, He just did backward training (3 hours on trainer until he can do 50+ miles,1 Hr swim until he can do 40+ laps). My Old School brother in law finished IM 6 mos ahead of the other, IMTX '13.

I guess its not all technology it really all depends on the dedication of the athlete.

Goodluck!!!

Edited by strykergt 2014-04-28 4:30 PM
2014-04-28 5:56 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Originally posted by strykergt

Jen

Just to add, I have two brother in law that got me into Tri'ing for IM. One of them is a paranoid Tekki armed his bike with Garmin to the tooth just finished IMAZ'13 my other brother in law here in town just did backward training all he had was a Casio stop watch and a Cats eye that came with the bike, He just did backward training (3 hours on trainer until he can do 50+ miles,1 Hr swim until he can do 40+ laps). My Old School brother in law finished IM 6 mos ahead of the other, IMTX '13.

I guess its not all technology it really all depends on the dedication of the athlete.

Goodluck!!!

Good story! And, makes me feel better. I haven't really ever had to worry about all of this and will have my group to train with until after August. Then, I am on my own but will have a SOLID base by then. 60 plus mile bike rides at a decent pace, 15-18 mile runs under my belt (probably several since my group is also a bunch of marathoners), and my swimming is already close to the 2-mile mark. I just feel like I don't want to think so much that it is no longer "FUN".

2014-05-11 7:45 PM
in reply to: FF Stock

User image

Does it come with the HR monitor or will I need to buy this separately? I can check online too but thought I'd ask while I am here. Buying one of these as my Mother's Day gift.
2014-05-11 9:13 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Does it come with the HR monitor or will I need to buy this separately? I can check online too but thought I'd ask while I am here. Buying one of these as my Mother's Day gift.

Jen

I have used a 310XT they do come with HRM and by themselves. I just would like to suggest if your buying a previously owned model ask how long is it since purchased. 310XT have been around for a while its battery even if fully charged have a life it may not last until 17 hrs. ( not saying you need it that long for your IM race). You will be using it and training 12++ hrs a week. The 310XT would be useless if it dies on you in the middle of the race.

Good Luck!!!

2014-07-15 10:06 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

So, giving this thread a BUMP! I still haven't made my decision and had a couple more questions:

1) If I have the original Garmin Forerunner 305 and switch to the 310XT what are the benefits? I feel like the Forerunner may be completely in accurate for bike speed/distance but maybe I am WAY OFF. I feel like my bike times have been way slower since my bike computer broke and I have been
relying on this device?? Any insight? Would the 310XT even be accurate from what you have found?

2) Aside from swim distance are there any other major differences between the 310XT and the 910? I am leaning towards the 310XT only
because of the price and I will also need to buy a new heart rate monitor and Trek sensor that goes inside my frame. That's another $60-$80 on
top of the device.

3) For those of you who HAVE used the 910XT, is it worth the $$ for the swim distance? In other words, is it ACCURATE? I don't want to buy another Garmin that is totally inaccurate on distance since I have one sitting here already. ))

4) Does anyone use the Cateye Strada Double wireless computer and have the sensor inside your Trek carbon frame? They make a small sensor for around $60 that can track cadence. Just figured I'd ask. Do you like that option and is it more reliable. The Strada has been great but I feel like it gets "off" and then I only have it 50% of the time. It's always getting bumped around...My last sensor went into my spoke and broke so I am debating just ordering a new one.

Slow decision maker here. Ready to make a decision ASAP so I can move forward but so many questions.

Thanks for putting up with this.

2014-07-15 11:20 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

...I feel like the Forerunner may be completely in accurate for bike speed/distance but maybe I am WAY OFF. I feel like my bike times have been way slower since my bike computer broke and I have been relying on this device?? Any insight? Would the 310XT even be accurate from what you have found?

About 6 weeks ago I was testing out two different power meters on a ride. I had one reporting data to my Garmin 800 and the other reporting data to my Garmin 310xt. Both computers were started at the same time and set to auto pause when stopped. The 800 was mounted normally on my stem, while the 310xt was stuck in my back jersey pocket. One computer reported 67.24 miles and a ride of 3:02:12. The other reported 67.31 miles and a ride of 3:02:06. I cannot imagine a circumstance where you could hope for more accurate than that. 

3) For those of you who HAVE used the 910XT, is it worth the $$ for the swim distance? In other words, is it ACCURATE?
Everyone is different on what tools they find useful for training. For me I don't really care about the swim functions the 910xt offers - at the pool I find the pace clock to be the only training tool that I really need, and in open water swimming I train by time and effort. On the rare occasion I have put my 310xt in my swim cap and swam with it (or inside my ISHOF SaferSwimmer) it is every bit as accurate as my friends that swim with a 910xt on their wrist, which is to say, not very accurate at all.

So between the 310xt and the 910xt, I would stick with the 310. But really the question I would ask you is why do you want an all-in-one device? For OWS swim training you really only need a cheap waterproof sports watch. For racing you don't need anything for the swim. On the bike you can continue to use a dedicated head unit, and then once you are unhitched from the need for ironman-length battery life you have a whole host of options available for you in running watches. I like the Garmin 610 quite a bit. 

2014-07-15 2:38 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
To questions 1 and 2: I have been using a 310xt for 2 years now. It is my only computer for everything. It is fine and gets the job done, you don't "need" anything else. Of course you don't "need" any kind of watch/computer to compete.... So it comes down to what you want. For what you seem to want, the 310 will give you everything you want right now. Good battery life, HRM data (if you buy a HRM of course), bike speed and cadence (if the Trek model sendor is Ant+ for cadence), if not get a ant+ that will work, and if you want power in the future, it reads that as well too if the PM is ant+. What the 910 gives you over the 310, that I'm aware of, is mostly things that you may not be looking for like: 1) swimming data - you alluded that you don't need that 2) It does offer more power meter data fields like Intensity Factor and maybe some more. Do you need that data? I not until you have a power meter for sure, and even when/if you get one, they aren't paramount. PM's are/can be complex training tools if you don't like a bunch of acronyms and stuff. I'm probably being too wordy... Anyways, the 310 is a good watch that will get you through a ton of training and racing. There are others as well, and there is always a reason to question what you bought on the flip side. That is why there are options from Garmin, and other companies like Suunto, Polar, Timex, Cateye, etc.... that make products for this.

Good luck with your choice, it's not always easy, but there are also lots of mostly good options too.

Justin

Edit: I use a quick release for the watch so when on the bike it is mounted between the aero bars, not on my wrist. SImple custom made mount out of zip ties and PVC pipe.

Edited by toodamnbroke 2014-07-15 2:40 PM

2014-07-15 4:17 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy

...I feel like the Forerunner may be completely in accurate for bike speed/distance but maybe I am WAY OFF. I feel like my bike times have been way slower since my bike computer broke and I have been relying on this device?? Any insight? Would the 310XT even be accurate from what you have found?

About 6 weeks ago I was testing out two different power meters on a ride. I had one reporting data to my Garmin 800 and the other reporting data to my Garmin 310xt. Both computers were started at the same time and set to auto pause when stopped. The 800 was mounted normally on my stem, while the 310xt was stuck in my back jersey pocket. One computer reported 67.24 miles and a ride of 3:02:12. The other reported 67.31 miles and a ride of 3:02:06. I cannot imagine a circumstance where you could hope for more accurate than that. 

3) For those of you who HAVE used the 910XT, is it worth the $$ for the swim distance? In other words, is it ACCURATE?
Everyone is different on what tools they find useful for training. For me I don't really care about the swim functions the 910xt offers - at the pool I find the pace clock to be the only training tool that I really need, and in open water swimming I train by time and effort. On the rare occasion I have put my 310xt in my swim cap and swam with it (or inside my ISHOF SaferSwimmer) it is every bit as accurate as my friends that swim with a 910xt on their wrist, which is to say, not very accurate at all.

So between the 310xt and the 910xt, I would stick with the 310. But really the question I would ask you is why do you want an all-in-one device? For OWS swim training you really only need a cheap waterproof sports watch. For racing you don't need anything for the swim. On the bike you can continue to use a dedicated head unit, and then once you are unhitched from the need for ironman-length battery life you have a whole host of options available for you in running watches. I like the Garmin 610 quite a bit. 

Thanks for the feedback. That does sounds accurate. I do feel like the Forerunner may be off a bit but nothing to compare it to except for my rides from last season. I may have been in better shape or just plain FASTER. )) Anyway, why did you put it in your swim cap or safe swimmer? Is the strap not able to stay on your arm? Can it be upgraded to the velcro sports strap like the old Forerunner could? That is what I use now. No way that puppy would fall off and I use it for data in the pool quite often. Basic data, of course.
I don't think I will ever purchase a power meter. I am not super competitive. I hold my own in my AG but am almost 40. I opted for nice wheels
instead of the meter a couple of years ago and I think I've spent my max for quite some time. Does that make sense?
2014-07-15 4:20 PM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Originally posted by toodamnbroke

To questions 1 and 2: I have been using a 310xt for 2 years now. It is my only computer for everything. It is fine and gets the job done, you don't "need" anything else. Of course you don't "need" any kind of watch/computer to compete.... So it comes down to what you want. For what you seem to want, the 310 will give you everything you want right now. Good battery life, HRM data (if you buy a HRM of course), bike speed and cadence (if the Trek model sendor is Ant+ for cadence), if not get a ant+ that will work, and if you want power in the future, it reads that as well too if the PM is ant+. What the 910 gives you over the 310, that I'm aware of, is mostly things that you may not be looking for like: 1) swimming data - you alluded that you don't need that 2) It does offer more power meter data fields like Intensity Factor and maybe some more. Do you need that data? I not until you have a power meter for sure, and even when/if you get one, they aren't paramount. PM's are/can be complex training tools if you don't like a bunch of acronyms and stuff. I'm probably being too wordy... Anyways, the 310 is a good watch that will get you through a ton of training and racing. There are others as well, and there is always a reason to question what you bought on the flip side. That is why there are options from Garmin, and other companies like Suunto, Polar, Timex, Cateye, etc.... that make products for this.

Good luck with your choice, it's not always easy, but there are also lots of mostly good options too.

Justin

Edit: I use a quick release for the watch so when on the bike it is mounted between the aero bars, not on my wrist. SImple custom made mount out of zip ties and PVC pipe.

The sensor that goes inside the Trek is made my Garmin and it is ANT compatible for sure. That is something that the Forerunner lacks,
which is why I am in the predicament. I need a new bike computer OR I need to fix the one I have (that really isn't very good because half
the time it doesn't pick up my cadence anyway). I would certainly use RPMs for training and would like to get more into HR training on
the bike as my rides get longer. At this point I have only used cadence and RPE for all training for the past 7-8 years. It's worked well and I've
had some good races, but this is a whole different beast for me. Thanks!
2014-07-15 4:31 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
If I were you, I would have these options.

1) Very easy. Get the 310 and call it a day without spending too much money. It'll do everything. With regards to the question about the it going to the swim cap, safe swimmer, the 310 losses GPS signals when worn on the wrist during all the swim strokes under water. It will still record time, but the distance will look CRAZY, and not be accurate at all. I think the 910 is better at this, but I don't have one to be sure. But that's why he puts it in the always above water bag or cap.

2) Easy and more $$ - Get the 910. More bells and whistles, more $$

3) keep the forerunner you have as a running watch, and get a dedicated bike computer like stated above. I'm not too up to date on all the options, but there are a TON of them ranging from maybe the $80's and up with cadence and HR, and then when you get into GPS I think they start around $200 or so? + a HR strap is another 40ish.

IF it was me, I'd get the 310, and know that it is a good capable all in one, a relatively inexpensive option, but be okay that for more $$$ you can get more. That's just me, pretending to be you!!

Full disclosure: I started looking into the 910 or the standalone bike computer to get the most of out my Power Meter, but I am still way off from pulling any triggers.
2014-07-15 4:38 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by midwesttrimom ...why did you put it in your swim cap or safe swimmer?

To measure distance while open water swimming. The 310xt does a terrible job of it when strapped to your wrist. The 910xt does better, but not great, at least from the tracks I have seem from friends that have them. The 310xt does a better job of it when in your swim cap, etc - it simply uses the satellite signal every time it goes underwater.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which Garmin/Other Device for first Ironman Training Season?? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

First time triathlete.....first time ironman......worried.

Started by adamrlowe
Views: 3862 Posts: 14

2014-07-16 2:26 PM Jason N

First Ironman

Started by rjchurchill
Views: 1091 Posts: 5

2005-11-04 9:45 AM oipolloi

good first ironman?

Started by tpetersen02
Views: 1312 Posts: 4

2005-07-26 6:14 PM tpetersen02

First Ironman

Started by suffer78
Views: 2033 Posts: 14

2005-08-30 5:13 PM Rollin' Thunder

Best Beginning Run Training for First Ironman?

Started by AerynSun
Views: 2405 Posts: 8

2004-11-21 8:34 PM BadgerIronMan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.