General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which Garmin/Other Device for first Ironman Training Season?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-16 10:10 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Subject: RE: Which Garmin/Other Device for first Ironman Training Season??
Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by midwesttrimom ...why did you put it in your swim cap or safe swimmer?

To measure distance while open water swimming. The 310xt does a terrible job of it when strapped to your wrist. The 910xt does better, but not great, at least from the tracks I have seem from friends that have them. The 310xt does a better job of it when in your swim cap, etc - it simply uses the satellite signal every time it goes underwater.

Ahhh, hah, that makes sense now. I was always wondering why people would put a watch in their swim cap.

2014-07-16 2:55 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

I WENT WITH THE GARMIN 310XT and will get the Trek rear sensor and HR Monitor. This will allow me to get the data I need year round (even on the trainer during the winter) on the bike. I am also looking to buy that little piece that allows you to mount the watch directly onto the bike for rides. Not sure I'd do that during a race but will be nice for days when I just ride. Thanks for all of the input! Hopefully I will enjoy this watch. If anything, I made a real decision!!! ))
2014-07-17 8:51 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Awesome. You will enjoy the new watch. If you have any questions, feel free to buzzz.

Justin
2014-07-17 10:25 AM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by toodamnbroke

Awesome. You will enjoy the new watch. If you have any questions, feel free to buzzz.

Justin

Jen

I second Justin on the good choice. On the side you impress me on choosing the 310XT most women I know can't get pass the aesthetics it's too big for the wrists suits me just fine. If you notice in the long future the batteries runs out faster than before you can have it repurbished.

Good luck and happy training

2014-07-17 12:05 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Originally posted by strykergt

Originally posted by toodamnbroke

Justin

Jen

I second Justin on the good choice. On the side you impress me on choosing the 310XT most women I know can't get pass the aesthetics it's too big for the wrists suits me just fine. If you notice in the long future the batteries runs out faster than before you can have it repurbished.

Good luck and happy training

They don't really make one for bike and run that is very small, so figure I may as well suck it up. I typically switch my band to the velcro version but not sure the 310XT band will allow for that?? I love the velcro Garmin strap! So much more comfortable. I find that the Forerunner strap is either too big (using one hole) and rolls around on my wrist once I sweat OR too small if I try to use the next hole up. I am right in-between. One reason why I'd rather mount it on the bike than wear it. I hate bothersome things on my body while training or racing. I get irritated.

THANKS!
2014-07-19 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4975834

I love the 910. Never had anything else so I have nothing to compare it to, but for the swim it counts laps in the pool. It's mostly accurate unless you do kick drills or breast stroke. It must have some sort of gyroscope or something. Best investment for training for my IM.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which Garmin/Other Device for first Ironman Training Season?? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

First time triathlete.....first time ironman......worried.

Started by adamrlowe
Views: 3862 Posts: 14

2014-07-16 2:26 PM Jason N

First Ironman

Started by rjchurchill
Views: 1091 Posts: 5

2005-11-04 9:45 AM oipolloi

good first ironman?

Started by tpetersen02
Views: 1312 Posts: 4

2005-07-26 6:14 PM tpetersen02

First Ironman

Started by suffer78
Views: 2033 Posts: 14

2005-08-30 5:13 PM Rollin' Thunder

Best Beginning Run Training for First Ironman?

Started by AerynSun
Views: 2405 Posts: 8

2004-11-21 8:34 PM BadgerIronMan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.