BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-04-14 4:01 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Asalzwed

How was your race, Janyne??

It was good!  I had fun and I was happy with the result.  It helped the Kevin met me and was all impressed with my time -- he was all "You did great!  You finished in x:yy:zz!" :-)

The course was scenic but hilly.  Just past mile 10 I thought to myself, "I am never doing this race again!"  Then, after the race, we passed the sign up for 2015 at a deep discount booth and I had to restrain myself.  The only reason that I didn't is that I have no idea what else I have going on next year/

However, there was a damper on things.  I saw four people receiving medical attention from EMS workers.  I later learned that two people died during the event. It was not hot -- it got to 70 by noon and the humidity was not bad.  Not California low but definitely not summer in the south high.  

Yeah. I have a lady at work (NOT my dept. thankfully)  that is always sure to point out when someone dies in a race. It really is terrible but more often than not it's some underlying issue. Not the running itself.

Sorry that you had a damper I think that hills or not, everyone has the "I'm never doing this again" though heh heh. I'm happy it went well and that you enjoyed yourself!

Great job! 

2014-04-14 4:06 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jbwills I know what the Manatee response is going to be, but sometimes you just have to hear it again. I am about to register for the Beach to Battleship (B2B) Half. I am slightly worried that my swim will not be 100% for it, the bike and run should not be an issue. I am being told that I should be home by mid-Sept which will give me about 4-6 weeks in the pool/OWS, time on my actual bike and time for some hill training. Besides...DO IT!!!! Do the Manatees think if I maintain my training and increase my dryland swim that I would be able to get back in the pool and be at or close to being able to do the swim distance? (It is wetsuit required which I already have one.) Will the lack of hills here in Afghanistan have a big impact on my running/biking? Not sure what the course is like. Will training only on an indoor exercise bike be an inhibiting factor for the bike? (Planning to do the Sufferfest Videos for my workouts.)

Both Janyne and I did the full last year, and I can say that as long as you have any swim training at all, you should be fine.  

B2B last year had a current for the HIM swim portion which was really nice for them... we didn't get any current at all, and had a bit of a "push" against us for part of the swim, but that's just how it goes when dealing with ocean tides, I guess.  One thing that DID get me on the swim was that I wasn't used to swimming in salt water at all.  It wasn't a great experience for me, but if you're able to get some OWS training done in salt water, you should be just fine. 

The bike is really, REALLY flat with the exception of a couple of bridges you'll go over, however, wind may be a factor. 

The run is also relatively flat with only one really short but steep hill.

It's a FANTASTIC race!  The cheering people at T1, the aid stations (almost all of them have a "theme" to them which is also tons of fun), the cheering people along the run course... I'd do this race again in a heartbeat if I didn't have IMChoo this year.  

Here are the HIM course maps from last year... 

http://www.beach2battleship.com/files/b2bHalfSwim.pdf

http://www.beach2battleship.com/files/b2bhalfbike2.pdf

http://www.beach2battleship.com/files/b2bhalfrunclif.pdf

2014-04-14 4:11 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by jbwills I know what the Manatee response is going to be, but sometimes you just have to hear it again. I am about to register for the Beach to Battleship (B2B) Half. I am slightly worried that my swim will not be 100% for it, the bike and run should not be an issue. I am being told that I should be home by mid-Sept which will give me about 4-6 weeks in the pool/OWS, time on my actual bike and time for some hill training. Besides...DO IT!!!! Do the Manatees think if I maintain my training and increase my dryland swim that I would be able to get back in the pool and be at or close to being able to do the swim distance? (It is wetsuit required which I already have one.) Will the lack of hills here in Afghanistan have a big impact on my running/biking? Not sure what the course is like. Will training only on an indoor exercise bike be an inhibiting factor for the bike? (Planning to do the Sufferfest Videos for my workouts.)

Both Janyne and I did the full last year, and I can say that as long as you have any swim training at all, you should be fine.  

B2B last year had a current for the HIM swim portion which was really nice for them... we didn't get any current at all, and had a bit of a "push" against us for part of the swim, but that's just how it goes when dealing with ocean tides, I guess.  One thing that DID get me on the swim was that I wasn't used to swimming in salt water at all.  It wasn't a great experience for me, but if you're able to get some OWS training done in salt water, you should be just fine. 

The bike is really, REALLY flat with the exception of a couple of bridges you'll go over, however, wind may be a factor. 

It's a FANTASTIC race!  The cheering people at T1, the aid stations (almost all of them have a "theme" to them which is also tons of fun), the cheering people along the run course... I'd do this race again in a heartbeat if I didn't have IMChoo this year.  

Getting some OWS in should not be an issue, the saltwater would be though.

A big kicker for me on the bike is hills more than wind. I unfortunately resort to my mountain biking skills and mash it if needed, still breaking that habit.

I have done one race with my wetsuit, but that was in Alaska and VERY cold. I would try to get a couple of OWS in with the wetsuit to help become more comfortable with it.

Monica - I seen you had IM Choo on your calendar. I am hoping to be able to volunteer for the course to make registering for it next year easier. I have a friend who is going to be a pilot on the swim course. It is 20 inutes from my kids in TN.
2014-04-14 4:31 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jbwills

Getting some OWS in should not be an issue, the saltwater would be though. A big kicker for me on the bike is hills more than wind. I unfortunately resort to my mountain biking skills and mash it if needed, still breaking that habit. I have done one race with my wetsuit, but that was in Alaska and VERY cold. I would try to get a couple of OWS in with the wetsuit to help become more comfortable with it. Monica - I seen you had IM Choo on your calendar. I am hoping to be able to volunteer for the course to make registering for it next year easier. I have a friend who is going to be a pilot on the swim course. It is 20 inutes from my kids in TN.

Yeah, the salt water was a bit of a shock to me, and I ingested more than my fair share of the water, but that being said - I still made it through mostly unscathed.  I don't think the water was warm enough to have it non-wetsuit legal, so you might want to get a bit more practice in with that before the race too... for us the water temp was WAY warmer than the air temp - so if nothing else it was really nice to have the wetsuit on while waiting for the swim to start!  

Lol - definitely try to break the mashing habit - your legs will thank you on the run.   

Wooot!  Definitely come out and volunteer - not only would it be really cool to meet another Manatee, but volunteering at the races is so much fun.  I'll be volunteering (again) at IMMoo this year.   

2014-04-14 10:39 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Okay, Melanie and Lynne, we've heard about Janyne's race but not about yours. How'd they go?  Inquiring manatees want to know...

2014-04-15 7:48 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Florida Manatees, be careful!

Bear drags Florida woman from garage (video autostarts so have your mouse ready to pause it)

2014-04-15 9:34 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Bear drags Florida woman from garage (video autostarts so have your mouse ready to pause it)

That's kind of near me. The news is having a field day with it and Game and Fish are on a kill the bears over reaction frenzy! These stupid people live in known bear territory and leave their food/garbage filled garage opened to tempt the bears and then are surprised to encounter them. Just days before this happened Fish and Game warned everyone that the bears were coming out of hibernation and would be on the move looking for food, so everyone should watch their food/garbage storage etc. can you tell I have little sympathy for this woman
2014-04-15 10:07 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Colorado Public Radio interview today with Kara Goucher about her experience in Boston last year.  You can read the article or listen to the interview from this link.

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/boston-bombing-stole-family-s-innocence-boulder-olympic-runner-says

2014-04-15 10:13 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

That's kind of near me. The news is having a field day with it and Game and Fish are on a kill the bears over reaction frenzy! These stupid people live in known bear territory and leave their food/garbage filled garage opened to tempt the bears and then are surprised to encounter them. Just days before this happened Fish and Game warned everyone that the bears were coming out of hibernation and would be on the move looking for food, so everyone should watch their food/garbage storage etc. can you tell I have little sympathy for this woman

We have lots of bears around here too.  We're always having report of bear break-ins and bears in urban places like the CU Boulder campus.  Boulder just passed an ordinance requiring bear-proof trash bins.  Fortunately the wildlife folks are used to dealing with them but they generally have a 2 strikes and you're out policy.  There's always a lot of discussion about the urban-wildlife interface around here but sadly there are ignorant people everywhere who still don't get it.

2014-04-15 10:19 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by laffinrock

Okay, Melanie and Lynne, we've heard about Janyne's race but not about yours. How'd they go?  Inquiring manatees want to know...

In a nutshell, better than expected (for the race) and even more fun than expected (and I was already expecting a lot) for the event overall.  I'll get around to writing the RR sooner than later, I hope. 

Very sorry to hear about the casualties at your race, Janyne, it can be tough to think about, but I'm glad the race went good for you.

2014-04-15 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

We have lots of bears around here too.  We're always having report of bear break-ins and bears in urban places like the CU Boulder campus.  Boulder just passed an ordinance requiring bear-proof trash bins.  Fortunately the wildlife folks are used to dealing with them but they generally have a 2 strikes and you're out policy.  There's always a lot of discussion about the urban-wildlife interface around here but sadly there are ignorant people everywhere who still don't get it.

Yes, we need an ordinance requiring bear proof trash cans. We also need to be able to tase the idiots in the area who have been feeding the bears and have caused them to lose their fear of humans. These are probably the same idiots who feed alligators.

2014-04-15 10:29 AM

Master
Northern IL

Yes, we need an ordinance requiring bear proof trash cans. We also need to be able to tase the idiots in the area who have been feeding the bears and have caused them to lose their fear of humans. These are probably the same idiots who feed alligators.
All in favor of a 2 strikes and out being used on the people ...

2014-04-15 10:44 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by brigby1

All in favor of a 2 strikes and out being used on the people ...

First we relocate them, then we euthanize them if they do it again.  That's how it works around here.  Might be a bit harsh, but would certainly be a deterrent.  I vote in favor of natural consequences, like people getting dragged from garages or getting chased around inside their homes (that actually happened here) and/or tasing.  That'll teach 'em.  Unfortunately, that means that the bears usually get the short end of the stick. 

2014-04-15 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by jbwills

Getting some OWS in should not be an issue, the saltwater would be though. A big kicker for me on the bike is hills more than wind. I unfortunately resort to my mountain biking skills and mash it if needed, still breaking that habit. I have done one race with my wetsuit, but that was in Alaska and VERY cold. I would try to get a couple of OWS in with the wetsuit to help become more comfortable with it. Monica - I seen you had IM Choo on your calendar. I am hoping to be able to volunteer for the course to make registering for it next year easier. I have a friend who is going to be a pilot on the swim course. It is 20 inutes from my kids in TN.

I have some friends trying to talk me into doing it in 2015.  I hadn't realized it was tough to get into, and they were talking about volunteering.  I might be going that route also.  It would be a blast to hold down an aid station and cheer everyone on!

2014-04-15 12:16 PM

User image

Master

Happy Birthday, Kate!

And belated birthday, Mary

My aunt and uncle came for a short visit from Cali. Really good to see them and catch up on family news, but now it's back to regular life again.

I thought about packing Mak up the mountain again. Thought about...until I had a chat with reality.  My knee is acting unhappy with me still, and what I assumed was allergies seems to have turned into a cold. Blech. So it looks like a walk this morning and trainer this afternoon. I'm okay with that for now.

2014-04-15 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Yeah, the salt water was a bit of a shock to me, and I ingested more than my fair share of the water, but that being said - I still made it through mostly unscathed.  I don't think the water was warm enough to have it non-wetsuit legal, so you might want to get a bit more practice in with that before the race too... for us the water temp was WAY warmer than the air temp - so if nothing else it was really nice to have the wetsuit on while waiting for the swim to start!  

Lol - definitely try to break the mashing habit - your legs will thank you on the run.   

Wooot!  Definitely come out and volunteer - not only would it be really cool to meet another Manatee, but volunteering at the races is so much fun.  I'll be volunteering (again) at IMMoo this year.   

What did you feel was the difference for swimming in salt water vs. fresh water? Is it the taste of the water and how ingesting it makes you feel afterward?

2014-04-15 12:28 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

"First we relocate them, then we euthanize them if they do it again.  That's how it works around here.  Might be a bit harsh, but would certainly be a deterrent."

Any chance you're talking about humans?

Working in Yosemite for several summers gave me a very healthy respect for the bears. Almost every instance of human interaction could be traced to people not doing what they were told: not closing the bear proof garbage bins properly, leaving cabin doors open, campers bringing candy/snacks into covered wagons when told absolutely not to. One big bear absolutely shredded a refrigerator when the counselors left their cabin door unlatched.

2014-04-15 12:28 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Seattle

Happy Birthday Ladies! 

2014-04-15 12:33 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ponderingfox

What did you feel was the difference for swimming in salt water vs. fresh water? Is it the taste of the water and how ingesting it makes you feel afterward?

Funny how different the same experience can be.  I love the salt (buoyancy, baby!), but I also grew up in the ocean and am comfortable with surf, big toothy feesh and such.  That said, drinking much of it will leave you feeling a bit off.  Just a taste is probably good - electrolytes!    But much more than that and it'll turn your stomach.  More important in an ocean swim to try not to ingest than in a pond, IMO...

Good news from the ortho here.  No tears in the knee and no evulsion of the hamstring.  Just patello-femoral syndrome and a strain/micro-tear (knee/hammy, respectively).  So, I'm going to ramp back up slowly for the run and really focus on the bike/swim for a month (as my bike needs it!).

Did have a good ride Sunday and a fun one today in some rain and HOWLING wind!

Matt

2014-04-15 12:44 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Funny how different the same experience can be.  I love the salt (buoyancy, baby!), but I also grew up in the ocean and am comfortable with surf, big toothy feesh and such.  That said, drinking much of it will leave you feeling a bit off.  Just a taste is probably good - electrolytes!    But much more than that and it'll turn your stomach.  More important in an ocean swim to try not to ingest than in a pond, IMO...

Good news from the ortho here.  No tears in the knee and no evulsion of the hamstring.  Just patello-femoral syndrome and a strain/micro-tear (knee/hammy, respectively).  So, I'm going to ramp back up slowly for the run and really focus on the bike/swim for a month (as my bike needs it!).

Did have a good ride Sunday and a fun one today in some rain and HOWLING wind!

Matt

Oh, that is good news!

I too much prefer salt water to lake water. Guess growing up in ft lauderdale will do that to a person! Plus lakes in Florida are gross!!!!! And they have gators and water moccasins and brain eating amoebas in them

2014-04-15 12:45 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

"First we relocate them, then we euthanize them if they do it again.  That's how it works around here.  Might be a bit harsh, but would certainly be a deterrent."

Working in Yosemite for several summers gave me a very healthy respect for the bears. Almost every instance of human interaction could be traced to people not doing what they were told: not closing the bear proof garbage bins properly, leaving cabin doors open, campers bringing candy/snacks into covered wagons when told absolutely not to. One big bear absolutely shredded a refrigerator when the counselors left their cabin door unlatched.

Pretty sure she was!

2014-04-15 1:06 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Pretty sure she was!

Yup.  Just applying the local rules for bears to idiot humans.

Matt, great news about your knee!!

2014-04-15 1:07 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

GREAT TO HEAR!!!! Errr read! 

2014-04-15 1:29 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

I signed up for a bike event. Gasp! 

2014-04-15 1:56 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I signed up for a bike event. Gasp! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63001 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 26967 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 15897 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98207 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.