Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-04-04 11:17 AM
in reply to: Qak180

Veteran
Irvine
Subject: RE: Pacific Coast Hwy Riding
Originally posted by Qak180

I am going to be in Newport Beach for the OC Half Marathon the first weekend of May. We were going to head out from Las Vegas after I complete my 70 mile training ride (for IM Texas), but now I'm thinking it might be nice to ride in new scenery. Any information I've been able to find on cycling out there has been a few years old, so can anyone give me an idea about cycling on PCH?

I'll be staying at the Hilton Hotel in Costa Mesa, and if a long ride is possible, I'd love to drive in early and get the 70 miles in mid-day that Saturday. Also, any thoughts on using my tri bike or should I stick with the road bike? Thanks for any responses!

You'll find lots of cyclists on PCH most days, both road and tri bikes. Like any major road, cars are going fast and there are accidents, so like always, be careful. From where you are staying, you can either drive down to PCH with your bike or ride down...perhaps take Bristol to Jamboree and turn right, then Jamboree down to PCH. There is a great area around the Back Bay that you should check out...filled with cyclists, runners and walkers. After you make the right on Jamboree from Bristol, take a right at the 2nd light at Eastbluff....then the first right you get to which is called Back Bay Drive...you can't miss it. Just review this area on google maps.

Back to PCH....the only area I'd be extra cautious of is if you head south on PCH into Laguna Beach. The bike lane gets very narrow and it can be a little sketchy. If you stick with PCH between Crystal Cove to the south and Seal Beach to the north you should find yourself in good company.

Not very pretty, but very safe, there is a bike path called the "Santa Ana River Trail" that starts at the beach, right where Huntington Beach and Newport Beach come together and runs inland all the way to Corona....you can easily do a 30+ mile up and back.

Finally, another very popular road for cycling is Santiago Canyon....plenty of solid rollers and some good climbs. From your hotel you'd want to drive up Jamboree to Santiago Canyon...there is a shopping center at the corner of Jamboree and Santiago Canyon/Chapman (The road changes names at this intersection.) You can do an out and back on Santiago or continue on Santiago all the way down to Trabuco and turn right. Trabuco turns into Irvine Blvd, which will hit Jamboree where you can turn right again and finish the loop back to your car.

Enjoy your visit, best of luck with the OC Half Marathon and IM Texas!

2014-04-04 11:29 AM
in reply to: obohlman

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-04-06 10:09 PM
in reply to: Qak180

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: Pacific Coast Hwy Riding
Just rode 40 miles south along PCH from Huntington Beach (next to Costa Mesa). Love that ride. You will have some congestion in corona del mar and Laguna beach, but worth it for the views. Have fun!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pacific Coast Hwy Riding Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pacific Coast Triathlon, Newport Beach, Sept 11

Started by kloofy
Views: 1342 Posts: 1

2011-04-22 6:44 PM kloofy

Pacific Coast Triathlon Laguna Beach

Started by jnboado
Views: 2807 Posts: 6

2010-09-23 11:50 AM jpf5911

PAcific Coast Triathlon

Started by roadrunner1659
Views: 1236 Posts: 4

2008-11-07 3:37 PM trigirl2

Pacific Coast Triathlon

Started by mbondesen
Views: 1568 Posts: 4

2008-09-05 10:46 AM mtngirlincali

Pacific Coast Triathlon this Sunday??

Started by DaGreen
Views: 734 Posts: 1

2007-09-05 5:59 PM DaGreen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : November 6, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 2
When the air horn went off, I did my best to simulate laps in the pool, but that dang panic came over me again, causing me to breaststroke until I could calm my breathing.