General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Transition Bags -Help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-04 10:53 AM

User image

Utah
Subject: IM Transition Bags -Help!
I am doing my first IM brand race, and I was reading in the Athlete guide that they give you three different bags. A "morning clothes" bag, a "bike gear bag" and a "run gear" bag. Can some one please tell me what I will do with each of these before and after I hit those transitions and all? I have done 3 seasons of tris, but have never had gear bags or anything like that and am not familiar with how this will all work race day. A break down of what happens when I get to transition, does a volunteer hand me my bag with stuff? Then the athlete guide said I can lay my run stuff out in T2 if I want the night before, but isn't this in the run gear bag? Help me understand the logistics of this so I can race plan better. I am doing IM StG 70.3 in one month

2014-04-04 11:07 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: IM Transition Bags -Help!

This is from my experience at IMLOU. I've no idea if it differs by race but, for what it's worth:

You get given the bags at check-in. You'll also receive 2 "special needs" bags.
You'll pack everything you need on the bike (helmet, gloves, arm coolers, etc...) in the T1 bag, and everything you need for the run (bib, shorts, shoes, socks, nutrition, etc...) in the T2 bag.

The day before the race, you'll go to transition and place your bags in a large lawn area, adjacent to the change tent. You'll have a row, designated by your bib number. Both bags will be placed next to each other.
You'll run through this lawn area on the way to the transition tent, and you can either grab the bag yourself or, more likely, a volunteer will call out your number as you run in, and another volunteer will grab your bag for you
At IMLOU, laying your run stuff out the night before wasn't an option.

Special needs bags are also handed over, and they're taken to specific points on the run and bike course. NOTE: you will NOT get the contents of the speecial needs bags returned to you, so don't put something in there that you will want to get back. I just put some nutrition, socks, vaseline, painkillers, band aids, in case of emergency

After the race, you'll need to return to the transition area to collect your belongings (bike, T1 and T2 bags).

2014-04-04 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

They do the same at the Boise 70.3 because T1 and T2 are at different places. 

The morning clothes bag is for things you wear to the swim start but won't need for the rest of the day. Say you are wearing a jacket and pants over your tri suit, then you change into your wetsuit before the start. The jacket and pants and whatever else you have on you goes in the morning clothes bag. They take that bag down to T2 for you and you pick it up after the race.

For Boise, the bag at T1 or bike bag was for you to put your wetsuit and such in for them to take down.

The run bag had running shoes, fresh socks, hats, whatever else you might want for the run. The bags were placed under your rack spot in T2. The bag was mostly to keep things organized and it kept stuff out of the rain.

The athlete guide should shed some more light on the particulars for your race.

2014-04-04 11:23 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Page 6 of the Athlete Guide explains the bags pretty well - the last sentence answers one of your specific questions.

You will receive a green Morning Clothes Bag at Athlete Check-In. Prior to the swim start on race morning, place any items (e.g., dry clothes, car or hotel room key, meds) you may need at the finish line in your Morning Clothes Bag. Leave the bag in the designated drop area at the swim start. Your bag may be retrieved after the race in town Square. Any items that do not fit inside the Morning Clothes Bag, such as bike pumps and backpacks, will not be accepted.
Bike Gear Bag
You will receive a blue Bike Gear Bag at Athlete Check-In. Following the swim, place your wetsuit, goggles and swim cap inside the Bike Gear Bag and leave it at your spot. the Bike Gear Bags will be collected and taken to t2 for you to claim after the race. Any items not placed inside the Bike Gear Bag are not guaranteed to be collected. We highly recommend you label your wetsuit with your name and cell number.
Run Gear Bag
You will receive a red Run Gear Bag at Athlete Check-In. Following the bike, you can place your bike gear inside the bag and leave it at your spot to collect after the race. You are not required to use the Run Gear Bag while transitioning, but it is there for your convenience.

2014-04-04 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You'll pack your bike gear into the bike gear bag and your run gear into the run gear bag a day and drop those off in the transition area the day before the race in the designated areas.  

You'll pack your "Special foods" bags for bike and run and drop those off also.  Expect whatever you pack in these two bags to be unrecoverable, so only pack things you're willing to throw away.  

You'll take your morning clothes bag with you with anything you'll plan to want pre-race (food).  

You'll put whatever you wear pre-race into the nearly empty morning clothes bag and drop it in the designated area.  

When you exit the swim and enter T1, you'll get your bike gear bag (unless a volunteer hands it to you).  You'll empty the bag, take what you need for the bike, and put your wetsuit and goggles into the bike gear bag.  You'll either hang it where directed or give it to a volunteer.  

When you finish the bike, you'll get your run gear bag in T2.  Empty it, taking what you want for the run and putting your bike gear in the run gear bag.  You'll deposit the run gear bag where directed unless a volunteer takes it.  

When you finish the race, you can collect the morning clothes, bike gear, and run gear bags along with your bike.  

Special foods bags are usually delivered into two heaps the day after the race.  You can pick through the bags and maybe find yours (I found both of mine, but it took about 45 minutes of digging through sticky, stinky, bags).  

2014-04-04 12:41 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by McFuzz

Special foods bags are usually delivered into two heaps the day after the race.  You can pick through the bags and maybe find yours (I found both of mine, but it took about 45 minutes of digging through sticky, stinky, bags).  

To the OP, a couple of folks have mentioned Special Needs bags and I think they are confusing a 140.6 with a 70.3, or did not catch that you are doing a 70.3 distance race, where these are not used. Just didn't want to confuse you more

2014-04-04 12:58 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Utah

You'll pack your bike gear into the bike gear bag and your run gear into the run gear bag a day and drop those off in the transition area the day before the race in the designated areas.  

You'll pack your "Special foods" bags for bike and run and drop those off also.  Expect whatever you pack in these two bags to be unrecoverable, so only pack things you're willing to throw away.  

You'll take your morning clothes bag with you with anything you'll plan to want pre-race (food).  

You'll put whatever you wear pre-race into the nearly empty morning clothes bag and drop it in the designated area.  

When you exit the swim and enter T1, you'll get your bike gear bag (unless a volunteer hands it to you).  You'll empty the bag, take what you need for the bike, and put your wetsuit and goggles into the bike gear bag.  You'll either hang it where directed or give it to a volunteer.  

When you finish the bike, you'll get your run gear bag in T2.  Empty it, taking what you want for the run and putting your bike gear in the run gear bag.  You'll deposit the run gear bag where directed unless a volunteer takes it.  

When you finish the race, you can collect the morning clothes, bike gear, and run gear bags along with your bike.  

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks so much! One less worry race day

There is no mention of special needs bags, and for my previous 70.3 I didn't need them anyway. Thanks for the advice!
2014-04-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by lisac957

To the OP, a couple of folks have mentioned Special Needs bags and I think they are confusing a 140.6 with a 70.3, or did not catch that you are doing a 70.3 distance race, where these are not used. Just didn't want to confuse you more

Ah...

I was answering based on the title to the thread, and the OP didn't specify 70.3 versus 140.6...

Don't worry about special needs or a volunteer bringing you your bag, you'll probably be on your own.  

Katie can file it away for when she does an Ironman!  

Edited by McFuzz 2014-04-04 1:16 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Transition Bags -Help! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Transition bag or regular gym bag?

Started by sdejan
Views: 2265 Posts: 22

2011-07-06 10:21 AM Becca4277

Transition bag or regular gym bag?

Started by sdejan
Views: 311 Posts: 1

2011-07-05 11:38 AM sdejan

Transition bag - anyone using LG Race Day bag?

Started by 2moremiles
Views: 569 Posts: 2

2010-01-12 6:15 PM velcromom

transition bags (help)

Started by Focker out!
Views: 1033 Posts: 10

2006-08-21 9:27 AM christyr1978

transition bags and special needs bags

Started by montyb
Views: 1003 Posts: 2

2004-03-02 7:46 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 0
I was pretty excited to test out a triathlon-specific gear bag. I'm on the lookout for something functional, comfortable, and maybe even a bit stylish.

date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?